IBM Smarthome

Posted on
Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:28 am
STT offline

IBM Smarthome

I am writing from Istanbul, Turkey. I am in the middle of finishing the interior detailing of a house that I bought. In the project phase, I included networking arranged through local IBM. So the house now has CAT5e cabling. The question is this: Should I go with the IBM Webdyn solution or opt for Indigo. I prefer a Mac solution. If I go with the Indigo solution how shall I utilize the cabling that is there for video, phone, etc,
Please help.

Posted on
Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:09 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: IBM Smarthome

STT wrote:
The question is this: Should I go with the IBM Webdyn solution or opt for Indigo. I prefer a Mac solution. If I go with the Indigo solution how shall I utilize the cabling that is there for video, phone, etc,
Please help.

Webdyn looks like several different types of technologies/internet appliances. One component of Webdyn, Webdynhome, looks like a stand alone internet appliance that can control X10 devices. If I understand the sparse information on webdyn.com correctly, Indigo running on a Mac with OSX could be substituted for this piece of the system. Indigo doesn't currently have support for video or phone, although there are other Mac OS X apps out there that can handle some of this.

Does this help? I know very little about Webdyn, but it appears to be a collection of different hardware pieces (most centered around web appliances) to implement a smart home.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:25 am
STT offline

Webdyn

Any plans to add AV and phone capabilitiy to Indigo? If plans are there when?
Thanks again.
Tim

Posted on
Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:03 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Webdyn

STT wrote:
Any plans to add AV and phone capabilitiy to Indigo? If plans are there when?
Thanks again.
Tim

Hi Tim,

Controlling A/V equipment is something we are looking at implementing. We will leave phone capability to Ovolab and Parliant. We are investigating stronger integration between their phone software and Indigo.

I don't have a timeline for the A/V equipment. Rather, nothing that is solid enough that I want to make public. But we are actively working on the next version of Indigo.

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1