Apple expected to unveil new smart home platform ... ????

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:50 pm
durosity offline

Re: Apple expected to unveil new smart home platform ... ??

Someone has beat you to it I'm afraid.. have a search for homebridge-indigo!

Of course I'm sure that you could contribute to the project! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:07 pm
whmoorejr offline

jsammarco wrote:
I haven't bothered reading everything here but it seems like Homekit is still not integrated into Indigo which surprised me. If this is true...

Here are the links to the home bridge forum and plugin

http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=191

https://github.com/nfarina/homebridge

Bill
My Plugin: My People

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:32 pm
Bollar offline

jsammarco wrote:
I haven't bothered reading everything here but it seems like Homekit is still not integrated into Indigo which surprised me. If this is true...

You should read further: viewforum.php?f=204

Now, if you want to make a Tesla or Evolution Connex plugin...

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:40 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jsammarco wrote:

And, as for "official HomeKit support", read this.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:06 am
whmoorejr offline

jay (support) wrote:
And, as for "official HomeKit support", read this.

Jay, ever considered the cost / payoff / benefit of sending a mac-mini with indigo on it to Apple for Mifi certification as a home kit "Device"? Not sure what the interest level on here would be to purchase an "Indigo Mac" versus just the indigo software to put on our own macs.

As for the benefit of "Siri" <-- only benefit that I can think of..... I think the google home and alexa devices and their openness to share it with developers will make those more promising platforms... unless Apple smarts up and puts Siri in the hands of the masses.

Costwise... covering my home with 3rd Gen iPads w/ Siri versus a bunch of $30 alexa dots....

Delving further off topic.... I went with Alexa for voice because my house is already full of 2nd Gen iPads displaying my main indigo control pages.... but my wife keeps switching the pages over to iHeart radio. I go to check lights or turn off a light that' across the room and the amount of time it takes me to switch apps, I could have walked to the other side and back. With the Echos and Dots, she gets her music and will leave my iPads alone. The Dot in my office outputs into Airfoil as an alternative music source. Controlling indigo was secondary for me.... but it works like a charm with very little configuration. (after I got over a very weird leftover OS X Server issue).

Bill

Posted on
Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

That wouldn't work - we've discussed it with a member of the HomeKit team. Their reason is that the security of HomeKit requires some level of the secure enclave hardware which the Mac doesn't have. All HomeKit certified devices are required to have this security hardware which is why some other hardware bridges also don't support HomeKit (added cost of the additional hardware).

We completely agree that Alexa devices (and Google Home assuming they ever release an API) are a much better voice solution than Siri. We will most likely eventually release a more official Alexa integration but in the meantime the Alexa-Hue Bridge plugin does a very good job.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:22 am
MarcoGT offline

jay (support) wrote:
We completely agree that Alexa devices (and Google Home assuming they ever release an API) are a much better voice solution than Siri. We will most likely eventually release a more official Alexa integration but in the meantime the Alexa-Hue Bridge plugin does a very good job.

Unfortunately only in English :(
And in Germany in the next months, but I am Italian and I doubt that Alex will recognize my Italian-German accent :D

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:03 am
whmoorejr offline

MarcoGT wrote:
I doubt that Alex will recognize my Italian-German accent :D

It might. I watched an advertisement for the Alexa Echo and that was the concern of this one guy with his thick accent. It showed him giving the Echo a command. I have no idea what he said. The Echo replied "Ok, adding NesCafe to your shopping list". The guy seemed pleased, so I guess it understood him.

German, Italian and English... Trilingual? That's impressive.

What do you call someone that only speaks one language? .... American.

:-)

Bill

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:36 am
MarcoGT offline

whmoorejr wrote:
MarcoGT wrote:
I doubt that Alex will recognize my Italian-German accent :D

It might. I watched an advertisement for the Alexa Echo and that was the concern of this one guy with his thick accent. It showed him giving the Echo a command. I have no idea what he said. The Echo replied "Ok, adding NesCafe to your shopping list". The guy seemed pleased, so I guess it understood him.

German, Italian and English... Trilingual? That's impressive.

But I have the feeling that Google Home will be much better that Amazon Echo...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:38 am
durosity offline

whmoorejr wrote:
MarcoGT wrote:

And they can't keep up to date with the latest version of that... it's coloUr guys! ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:03 am
pvrfan offline

jay (support) wrote:
... Alexa devices (and Google Home assuming they ever release an API) are a much better voice solution than Siri. ....

I think it is too early to count Siri out! Platforms are leapfrogging each other. There was an article not long ago that talked about how Siri has become three rather different things in the last couple of years:

-the 'original' Siri on iOS
-AppleTV Siri
-Carplay Siri

Each is quite customized to the particular use case and ambient environment. This probably explains why Siri on iOS hasn't seen major improvements recently as that team has had their hands full. Now that Siri is up and running in those three environments, maybe the team will be able to catch up to (or overtake?) the other voice interfaces.

Or maybe Apple is about to come out with a combination router, Homekit hub, voice interface device.

Or...

Craig
(Wish I could find that article again.)

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:12 am
durosity offline

I'd like to think that Apple are planning something BIG for Siri. But I just can't see it. I think they'll keep updating her at the slow catch up pace they're running at at the moment. Apple keep doing this. Revolutionise something. Then let it linger while those who were left in its dust catch-up and leap frog where they're at.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:44 am
RogueProeliator offline

Unfortunately only in English

For now... I don't know of Alexa, but Google definitely has plans for other languages; unfortunately (for you), the first additional language announced was Hindi. I don't know if the smaller markets for other languages make it less likely to go there or not. Totally random guess but I would think Spanish might be higher on their list than others due to the prevalence in the US and Central/South America. Anyone's guess, though...

This is so true, and so sad... I knew Latin many years back and still recognize parts but in ever-forgetting fragments. That helped at times get the gist of other languages, but it isn't the same. Unfortunately there are not as many opportunities for Americans to actually practice a learned language except perhaps Spanish (just based on our geography). I find it exceptionally sad that some Americans get annoyed when someone speaks a language other than English here in public, then suggests going to Europe on vacation... but I digress.

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:41 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

pvrfan wrote:
Or maybe Apple is about to come out with a combination router, Homekit hub, voice interface device.

That has been the rumor, I was really hoping it would have been in time for this Christmas. The only reason I can image they haven't released it yet is because they are wanting to incorporate something "revolutionary" into it that is being actively developed.

durosity wrote:
I'd like to think that Apple are planning something BIG for Siri. But I just can't see it.

I believe they are. They have finally admitted they are building a car, so Apple's not done innovating just yet.

Honestly I think Apple is waiting some things for that big 10th anniversary of the iPhone. Considering that the iPhone was a rebirth of Apple in so many ways and while it was on the back of the iPod, it still was the turning point where people said "wait, hold on, Apple is making PHONES?" that really got things rolling for them. I intentionally didn't upgrade to the iPhone 7 because I think they held back on a lot of stuff so they can make the 10th Anniversary iPhone something amazing - and along with that I think will be other really cool releases, hopefully to include the Siri device.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:34 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
pvrfan wrote:

That has been the rumor, I was really hoping it would have been in time for this Christmas. The only reason I can image they haven't released it yet is because they are wanting to incorporate something "revolutionary" into it that is being actively developed.

I'm quite skeptical since they just killed the Airport Routers.

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
They have finally admitted they are building a car

Really? I must have missed that announcement...

Colorado4Wheeler wrote:
Honestly I think Apple is waiting some things for that big 10th anniversary of the iPhone. Considering that the iPhone was a rebirth of Apple in so many ways and while it was on the back of the iPod, it still was the turning point where people said "wait, hold on, Apple is making PHONES?" that really got things rolling for them. I intentionally didn't upgrade to the iPhone 7 because I think they held back on a lot of stuff so they can make the 10th Anniversary iPhone something amazing - and along with that I think will be other really cool releases, hopefully to include the Siri device.

Ranting Jay wrote:
I'm not going to hold my breath. I think Apple has lost its way. If it weren't for my large investment in the Apple ecosystem (and my complete distrust of everything Google) I'd try a Pixel which doesn't look bad (not a fan of 5" size but there are few smaller options out there).

I'm not a Samsung fan since I managed to get an exploding washing machine which took an unreasonable amount of time and effort so they could perform patch that didn't actually fix the problem (i.e. lock the lid tighter and put warning labels all over it). I also had another Samsung appliance that had to be replaced which required a lot of back and forth before they did replaced it. How they stay in business is anyone's guess.

I have an iPhone 6 which I never liked that much, but I'm not excited about anything else at the moment either. I might get an iPhone SE because at least it's the size I like. My 3rd gen iPad struggles to load web pages but I'm reticent to replace that too.

I'm just really disappointed by pretty much everything technology at the moment - except for the 3 Echos I have which I like quite a bit. I really hope Apple can find it's way back to providing solid, new and interesting products.

Jay (Indigo Support)