X-10 and Surge Protectors

Posted on
Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:55 am
RonJon offline

X-10 and Surge Protectors

Are their any X-10 appliance modules that will work plugged in to a surge protector? I want to control my TV units with X-10 but they are now plugged into a surge protector and I don't particularly want to not plug them into a surge protector.

RonJon

Posted on
Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: X-10 and Surge Protectors

RonJon wrote:
Are their any X-10 appliance modules that will work plugged in to a surge protector? I want to control my TV units with X-10 but they are now plugged into a surge protector and I don't particularly want to not plug them into a surge protector.

I've never seen any that advertise the ability to work plugged into a surge protector better than other modules. The better modules do filter out noise better, but the problem with a surge protector is that it will potentially reduce the signal strength.

That said, it might just work fine. Some surge protectors are much worse at "signal sucking" than others. If it is a problem you can always plug the surge protector itself into the module, so you still have the protection. I think the ideal approach (but possibly overkill) would be to have:

Applicance Module ->
    X10 Filter (FilterLinc) ->
      Surge Protector ->
        Expensive Appliance

regards,
matt

Page 1 of 1