SMS Text Messaging via Adium and Applescript

Posted on
Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:48 am
Jimbo offline

SMS Text Messaging via Adium and Applescript

Hi Group,

I'm hoping someone can help me clean this up and improve upon it.

This is my first post here, and my first dabbling with AppleScript today (or much of any programming for that matter). I see this issue of sending out SMS alerts come up from time to time. 6 Months ago I set up Adium to start exploring this (looked at SMS Mac and for some reason wasn't satisfied at the time) but never got back around to it. As I recall, the AIM SMS gateway via Adium is free, and fairly easy to setup (at least for US users). I had some streak of stubbornness today, and stuck with this until it worked.

What I wanted was a way to integrate Adium SMS messages with some Indigo variables, and fire up and shutdown Adium so that it wasn't running all the time in the background. Using Indigo, I wanted to set the account name, message contents, and message destination by changing variables in Indigo through triggers.

Here is what I have - using 3 Indigo variables. I've tried to make this easily reusable and extensible, but I'm sure I've done some things in a really convoluted way. If you can offer improvements, I'd welcome them.

Code: Select all
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- SMS via Adium Script
--
-- JBB (03/31/2009)- Initial script
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Define the right hand side of the following pairs as Indigo Variables
-- -- Use Indigo variables in triggers to set receiving phone no. (SMSDest), and Message (SMSMsg)
-- -- Set the following property to be the SMSMsg Variable
--
property theMessage : "SMSMsg"
--
-- Set the following property to be the SMSDest Variable
--
property theDest : "SMSDest"
--
-- Set the following property to be the Adium Account Display Name (Displayed on Contacts Page)
property theAdiumAcct : "AdiumAcct"
--
-- Don't change anything below this unless you're sure you know what you're doing
--
-- First process both variables to populate them in script from Indigo Variables
--
processVariable(theMessage)

processVariable(theDest)

on processVariable(theInputVariable)
   tell application "IndigoServer"
      local theVarValue -- useful for debugging with ScriptDebugger but not needed
      local theVarValueName -- useful for debugging with ScriptDebugger but not needed
      -- most of this section unnecessary - comment out log line to reduce log pollution
      set theVarValue to value of variable theInputVariable as string
      set theVarValueName to name of variable theInputVariable as string
      log "Attempting to send SMS Message with variable " & theVarValueName & " set to " & theVarValue
   end tell
end processVariable

tell application "Adium"
   activate
   go online
   delay 5
   tell service "AIM"
      --
      -- Seems to be no way to reference Adium Accts by Display Name
      -- -- Instead, iterate through all accounts and send message with each acct that
      -- -- matches display name.  Hope you do not have duplicate display names!
      --
      set listOfAccts to every account
      repeat with theCurrentValue in listOfAccts
         tell theCurrentValue
            if display name of theCurrentValue contains theAdiumAcct then
               make new chat with contacts {contact theDest} with new chat window
               send the active chat message theMessage
            end if
         end tell
      end repeat
   end tell
   delay 2
   close active chat
   go offline
   close
   quit
end tell

-- optional Growl integration
-- tell application "GrowlHelperApp"
--   set the allNotificationsList to {"SMS Sent via Adium"}
--   set the enabledNotificationsList to {"SMS Sent via Adium"}
--   register as application "SMS via Indigo Adium AppleScript" all notifications allNotificationsList default notifications enabledNotificationsList icon of application "Script Editor"
--   notify with name "SMS Sent via Adium" title "SMS Sent" description theMessage application name "SMS via Indigo Adium AppleScript"
-- end tell

tell application "IndigoServer"
   log "SMS Message Sent, **" & value of variable theMessage & "** to: " & value of variable theDest
end tell

Posted on
Fri May 06, 2011 3:29 am
rageena offline

Re: SMS Text Messaging via Adium and Applescript

How do I set a ringtone, but not an sms tone for a blackberry contact? I've set a ring tone for a few of my contacts on my new blackberry curve 8530. I didn't want a sms tone for a specific contact, I want everyone to be the same. So, how can I keep the ringtone costum but the sms to be a default?

Page 1 of 1