Getting weather data from Weather Display

Posted on
Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:23 pm
AlaskaDave offline

Re: Getting weather data from Weather Display

Thanks for the reply. I feel that the only reason I'd be getting this unit is for the remote sensors inside the house so as to track temperature and humidity. I"m wondering if there's an Insteon solution for that as apposed to a weather station. I like the Davis units better but they don't seem to have remote sensors like the Oregon Scientific. Ideally I would have the Davis for outside and some other method for obtaining internal temp/humidity.

Posted on
Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:16 pm
artpics offline

the davis units do have ext sensors but are very expensive.

there was an insteon switch that had temp humidity but was discontinued and you could not poll the readings.

for the $$$$$ the oregon is the way to go with WD and the plugin

Posted on
Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:35 pm
AlaskaDave offline

Wow, they are expensive. I currently have an older Oregon Scientific with remote sensors and they are pretty reliable and very seldom can not communicate with the base. I emailed Weather Display and the response was to use it in conjunctions with weathersnoop. Any idea as to why additional software was recommended?

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:42 pm
jimM offline

Hi Dave,
I have been using WD with an Oregon wmr-968 (with wireless remote sensors) for the past 3 years and no issues here. Don't know why you were advised to use another app with the 968. You will need a serial-usb adapter such as the Keyspan usb/serial adapter if using the WMR968. If you are using a newer Oregon unit like the WMR200 then I believe at least for a time the folks at WD were recommending to use weathersnoop as they didn't have a driver for the usb at the time, but don't know if that was eventually resolved. My site is at http://www.hrmweather.com and I feed 12 parameters from the station's sensors to Indigo. Hope this helps.

Question for Matt or Jay - Will the WD plugin have to be rewritten for version 5? I haven't upgraded yet, just waiting to figure what I have to do on the server before going to Lion.
All the best,
Jim

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:58 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There are no plugins in Indigo 4 - I guess you're referring to the AppleScript I posted at the top of the thread. It should continue to work unless something in Lion changed.

We are shipping a WeatherSnoop plugin with Indigo 5 that I think makes dealing with weather data much simpler and more reliable. But that's just me... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:43 am
jimM offline

jay wrote:
There are no plugins in Indigo 4 - I guess you're referring to the AppleScript I posted at the top of the thread. It should continue to work unless something in Lion changed.

We are shipping a WeatherSnoop plugin with Indigo 5 that I think makes dealing with weather data much simpler and more reliable. But that's just me... ;)

Maybe I worded my post incorrectly but I have been using this WD (Weather Display) plugin in Indigo 4 since I finished it 3 years ago (http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/fil ... php?id=103) and mentioned earlier in this thread. How time flies!
Anyway, I was asking if that plugin would need to be modified for use in Indigo 5?

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:19 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Ah, it's an IWS plugin. There were so few of those I tend to forget about them.

It should continue to work with 5.0 - we're planning on rewriting the IWS plugin API so it will use the new python object model, but that won't happen until 5.1 or later.

However, you might consider converting it into an Indigo 5 plugin - check out the WeatherSnoop plugin for an example. It would, IMO, make it much more usable. Your weather station would be a device listed in the device list, and it would have states for all the weather data that can be used on a control page and in conditions. Pretty cool.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:29 am
jimM offline

jay wrote:
Ah, it's an IWS plugin.
However, you might consider converting it into an Indigo 5 plugin - check out the WeatherSnoop plugin for an example. It would, IMO, make it much more usable. Your weather station would be a device listed in the device list, and it would have states for all the weather data that can be used on a control page and in conditions. Pretty cool.

Wow, that does sound cool! I will have a look over the weekend and see what I can do to update it.
Jim

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:31 am
wikner offline

Meanwhile, I just upgraded to 5.0, and now every minute I get this in my event log:
Code: Select all
Nov 18, 2011 9:25:01 AM
  WebServer                       undefined page requested "http://127.0.0.1:8176/wd/importData" from 127.0.0.1

It has been so long since I installed the Weather Display plugin in Indigo 4.x that I forgot how I did it. What do I need to do to transfer the plugin over to 5.0. Will it work? I'm anxious to do this soon because I have several triggers on wd_ variables which are now not working.

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:36 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I believe Jim's plugin is an IWS plugin - so you should copy it from here:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/IndigoWebServer/plugins/

to here:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 5/IndigoWebServer/plugins/

and restart the Indigo 5 server. I think that should do it though I don't know if he has any other configuration that needs to be done.

Maybe you can convince Jim to convert it into a Indigo 5 server plugin - it would be easier to use that way... :D

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:43 pm
wikner offline

Sorry, I solved my own problem. Finding the script was the hard part. It was in /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/IndigoWebServer/plugins/. I copied everything in it to the corresponding folder in .../Indigo 5/... The wd variables came in triggering scripts that were not transferred over, so I then transferred my applescript files to THEIR corresponding folders. A server restart, and I was up and running.

By the way, I noticed a bug. When I stopped the server and attempted to restart it, the resulting restart dialog had the "Restart" button dimmed until I made some change. I clicked a checkbox on then off, and that made the "Restart" button active.

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

That's not a bug really - the assumption is that a restart isn't necessary until you make some configuration change. Clicing the stop button then start does the same thing.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:43 pm
wikner offline

But I did make a change. I added scripts to the web server. I added applescript routines to the Scripts folder. Then I stopped the server. Then I attempted to restart it, but couldn't.

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:47 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The server can take several seconds to shutdown. It has to kill all of the plugins, save the database, etc. The buttons in the Start Local Server.. dialog monitor when the Indigo Server process is running and not running, so it can take a bit of time before the buttons enable/disable and show the correct caption text.

Posted on
Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:03 pm
wikner offline

Ah...