Monitor garage door and receive a notification

Posted on
Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:05 pm
mlooss offline

Monitor garage door and receive a notification

I have a couple of Ecolink Garage Door Tilt Sensors and I want to be notified if the doors are left open at night. My kids at times have left the garage door open and that is one reason I got these tilt sensor. I have them working and they are sending me Pushover notifications when the door(s) are opened and closed, which is very useful. But I also need to continue monitoring their status, lets say after 9:00 PM until the morning hours and notify me if the door(s) are still open. During the day when we are home, the garage is open and it is used as our main entrance to the house and no monitoring is required. I researched the forums and found no easy way to set this up without some scripting knowledge, which I do not have, at least not yet. So far I have created two variables for both doors, that are updated to either open or closed via trigger and that is working fine. I want to monitor these variables periodically and if any of them is set to open, send me a notification. I have INDIGO Pro and thought it would be enough to handle this, but looks like it needs some scripting. Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Posted on
Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:54 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Monitor garage door and receive a notification

No scripting required - check out this wiki article. The only difference is that you check the state of your device rather than an iolinc.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:46 am
mlooss offline

Re: Monitor garage door and receive a notification

Thanks Jay, I did read this article when I first got into home automation but I keep forgetting to look into the Wiki again. I also had skipped the Condition tab and didn't realize all the other options available :-)
I already had all the necessary variables and I scheduled it to check the open door status every 15 minutes after 10:00 PM and I think it is now working as I wanted.

Page 1 of 1