Kernel panics

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:02 pm
Otis offline

Kernel panics

I've recently started getting kernel panics once or twice a day. The problem report usually lists the current thread as osascript, but occasionally it lists IndigoPluginHost. (I recently installed the Phidgets plugin, but the plugin is disabled until this situation is resolved.)

Here's my question:

When I upgraded to Indigo 6, the installer did not copy my custom AppleScripts from the Indigo 5 folder to the Indigo 6 folder. (I assume that's intentional, but it also didn't change the login item from Indigo 5 to Indigo 6, so possibly the installation did not complete correctly.) Anyway, having AppleScripts scattered around in different folders is confusing, so I moved all of my scripts into a new folder: Library/Application Support/PerceptiveAutomation/myScripts. Is there any way that should cause a kernel panic? Also, is moving the scripts a bad idea for any reason? As far as I can tell, Indigo keep the complete path for each script individually.

Here's the timing: I installed the Phidgets Plugin. As soon as I got it working, I started organizing my AppleScripts as described above. Kernel panics started happening, so I disabled the Phidgets Plugin and upgraded to the latest beta of Indigo During this time I realized that the system was sometimes running Indigo 5, as described above, and fixed that. The problem continues. I'm running OS X 10.6.8 on a Mac Mini with Indigo 6.0.0 b5.

Two related question while I'm at it:

1. I modified the WeatherSnoop plugin to access weather data every 5 seconds instead of every minute. Is there anything I can do to avoid having to edit the plugin every time I perform a major Indigo upgrade?

2. My custom images for IndigoWebServer also aren't copied into the new folder during a major upgrade. Am I missing something, or do I need to find and move each of them?

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:48 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Kernel panics

Otis wrote:
When I upgraded to Indigo 6, the installer did not copy my custom AppleScripts from the Indigo 5 folder to the Indigo 6 folder. (I assume that's intentional, but it also didn't change the login item from Indigo 5 to Indigo 6, so possibly the installation did not complete correctly.)

The installer doesn't move scripts anywhere so that's expected behavior. It also doesn't install any login items - so I'm not sure what that's about.

Otis wrote:
Is there any way that should cause a kernel panic? Also, is moving the scripts a bad idea for any reason? As far as I can tell, Indigo keep the complete path for each script individually.

No. Indigo stores alias records to any script files so it should find them no matter where you move them to.

Otis wrote:
Here's the timing: I installed the Phidgets Plugin.

I'd suggest not only disabling the plugin, but completely uninstalling it just to be sure, though I don't think that's going to make much difference. I would also disconnect the Phidgets hardware if it's connected via USB. And if you've got any odd drivers installed along with it remove those as well. Drivers are one of the few things that can cause kernel panics.

Otis wrote:
1. I modified the WeatherSnoop plugin to access weather data every 5 seconds instead of every minute. Is there anything I can do to avoid having to edit the plugin every time I perform a major Indigo upgrade?

No. Seems like a lot of work for not much value. Anyone else doing this?

Otis wrote:
2. My custom images for IndigoWebServer also aren't copied into the new folder during a major upgrade. Am I missing something, or do I need to find and move each of them?

You're not missing anything - the installer doesn't move those over either. See the upgrade section of the docs discuss what's moved and what's not.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:13 pm
berkinet offline

FWIW, I have not heard of any OS related problems with the Phidgets plugin or the current Phidgets drivers. But, do check the Phidgets web site to be sure you have the latest version installed.

Generally osascript problems would point to an AppleSript, saved as a script, saved as an app or called from the shell via /usr/bin/osascript. The Phidgets plugin does not invoke the Python osascript interface, but other plugins might.

Posted on
Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:57 am
Otis offline

A final report, just to close on this topic, I had kernel panics once or twice a day starting when I installed the Phidget drivers and plugin, and they stopped when I stopped using and disabled the EasyDAQ plugin. Everything has been running perfectly now for several weeks.

And by the way, I love the Phidgets devices and the plugin! Thanks for writing it!

Posted on
Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:30 am
berkinet offline

Thanks for the report.

Hmmmm. I guess there could be some interaction between the two plugins that affects the kernel - possibly a socket issue. Still, that seems really unlikely - and I am running the two together under 10.8.3 without problems. It is also equally unlikely that either of the two plugins alone would cause an issue - we'd have heard about it from others by now.

My best guess (Matt or Jay will have a better guess) is that you are running some third program, possibly outside of Indigo, and that sets up the interaction.

In any case, glad you fixed it. FWIW, I am swapping out my EasyDAQ for a Phidgets SBC. The EasyDAQ has been unreliable - phantom relay closures; buggy - the web interface does not work, I have to configure the board via telnet; and unsupported - I could not get any meaningful help from the vendor.

Posted on
Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:44 am
Otis offline

My best guess (Matt or Jay will have a better guess) is that you are running some third program, possibly outside of Indigo, and that sets up the interaction.

I'm also running iTunes, WeatherSnoop and its plugin, SecuritySpy and Phlink.

EasyDAQ boards finally worked reliably for me, after Jay gave me a bit of Python code to disconnect and reconnect the boards each time before using them. That was a workaround for the fact that they would occasionally disconnect from the USB bus. The main reason I switched was because Phidget 1017 relays are DPDT and EasyDAQ relays are SPDT. Their smaller size is another minor advantage. I really like having each relay defined as an Indigo device.

Posted on
Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:56 am
berkinet offline

Otis wrote:
...they would occasionally disconnect from the USB bus. The main reason I switched was because Phidget 1017 relays are DPDT and EasyDAQ relays are SPDT. Their smaller size is another minor advantage. I really like having each relay defined as an Indigo device.

I have the network version of the EasyDAQ, so the USB disconnect was not a problem. But, then I got the built-in web server issues in trade.

I also like the Phidgets plastic cases, especially if you are using line voltage inputs to the relays. As you note, size and the DPDT relays are also nice.

BTW, the easyDAQ plugin provides device Mirroring which is essentially what I did in the Phidgets plugin for inputs and outputs on an interface kit.

Posted on
Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:20 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Otis wrote:
I'm also running iTunes, WeatherSnoop and its plugin, SecuritySpy and Phlink.

If I had to guess? Phlink. It's old and unsupported and in my experience was never super reliable. Just a guess though.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1