Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:44 pm
Different Computers offline

Zigbee and Home Assistant on Ubuntu

If anyone here really knows their way around

1. Ubuntu

2. Home Assistant as installed by the default “store” for apps in Ubuntu

3. Getting the two to work with a Zigbee modem

I’d love to hear from you. My trip down the rabbit hole today let me discover that the default install is weirdly not popular, and frankly I don’t even KNOW if installing from the Ubuntu “store” puts it in a container, docker, VM or bare metal. And searches don’t tell me much.

They DID tell me to look in /dev/serial/ for the “real” tty address of the modem… but /dev/serial/ doesn’t exist in modern Ubuntu.

Does all this sound like a cautionary tale? It should. I’m literally thinking it might be faster to use ChatGPT to write a driver for the ZIgbee modem and then have it build an Indigo plugin to use it directly.

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:11 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Zigbee and Home Assistant on Ubuntu

Split to it's own topic (post has nothing to do with the HAA plugin).

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:15 pm

You’re not wrong.

But the audience is the same.

Sorry for hijacking.

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:17 pm
FlyingDiver offline

FWIW, I've gotten HA to work with a Z-Wave dongle, added devices, and imported them to Indigo, But that was on RaspberryOS, not Ubuntu.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:08 pm

In case anyone is contemplating this, here's the info that was critically important, and someone else had to point me toward.

https://snapcraft.io/install/home-assistant-snap/ubuntu

Page 1 of 1