HKLS in Insecure Mode

Posted on
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:32 pm
dwspublic offline

HKLS in Insecure Mode

I tried to find this in the forum already, but couldn't put my hands on it. Is their option to run HKLS in insecure mode? (homebridge -I). I get the downside of doing it insecure mode, however the homebridge-alexa plugin requires it. Why do I use homebridge-alexa rather than the Indigo-Alexa plugin....I actually use both. Two different Indigo deployments at two different locations - one Alexa account/household. I use Indigo-Alexa in one location and Indigo Homekit Bridge/homebridge-alexa in the second location. It allows all the relevant devices in both locations to be in one Alexa account and be controlled by voice. I've been using this setup for the last several years, however I'm been falling behind updating Indigo to 2023.x (Homekit Bridge doesn't support above 2022) in my second location and a lot of my indigo plugins are falling behind as well.

If anyone has a better option for a two indigo deployment/one alexa household scenario - all ears.

Darryl

Posted on
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:34 pm
GlennNZ offline

HKLS in Insecure Mode

I’m struggling to figure out your usage here - will re read a few times

But bottom line is HLKS is 100% Python3 based. There is no homebridge being used underneath somewhere. (Unlike the old plugin)

I have no idea what running homebridge in insecure mode achieves - googled their docs, seems to open up access to everyone - but regardless it is not possible to do so with HKLS. Important fact is - as above - HKLS is not homebridge in any fashion.

I’ll read your setup again and see if have further ideas:

Edit: Okay First Question

Why (adjective) do you want one Alexa Account with 2 physical households and a ‘bridge’??

Posted on
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:37 am
dwspublic offline

Re: HKLS in Insecure Mode

We travel back and forth between the two homes 10-12 times a year. Not all of the family travels all the time, so we often will be in a scenario where we live like it's one combined virtual home. We use the intercom a lot and drop-in to different rooms (where one room is location one and the other room is location two).

From a adminsitrative standpoint, if I had separate Alexa accounts, I'd have to maintain all my services (i.e. music) and skill linkages (largely home automation skills) across two places rather than one. Because I haven't tried it, I'm not sure all the skills will allow me link to two different accounts simultaneously.

Lastly, the Amazon "households" feature could help somehwat, however Amazon doesn't support that feature in Canada....looks like they never will.

I understand now that you're not using homebridge under the covers, so the insecure option likely isn't even a thing.

BTW, I use your plugin for my actual homekit integration....thanks for developing and supporting it, it works great for me. I'm only using the Homekit Bridge for the Alexa second location support.

Darryl

Page 1 of 1