Home app Client with IP address (XXXXX) appears incompatible

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:03 pm
macguyincali offline

Home app Client with IP address (XXXXX) appears incompatible

I updated to the latest HKLS plugin and I started getting many errors in the log (sometimes hundreds of them) that say roughly the following:

Home app Client with IP address ('XXXXXX', 59470) appears incompatible with this version of homekit. It attempted to connect to Bridge HomeKitLink Bridge 766590 and this connection failed to verify. Typically this means this client hasn't been updated to latest OS version, or is incompatible with it. This needs to be addressed with the Client Home App. See forum for more details as needed.

The IP address appears to be that of an iMac on our network. It is running an older version of MacOS. Not sure why that would be an issue for the HKLS plugin hosted on my up-to-date Mac Studio M1. It says "see forum for more details" so here I am.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-macguyincali

Posted on
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:06 pm
GlennNZ offline

Re: Home app Client with IP address (XXXXX) appears incompat

Ok

This is the updated Pair Verify message - designed to give more information so can be resolved.

If you see the troubleshooting post here: And 3-4 other posts about it.
viewtopic.php?f=366&t=27136

https://github.com/Ghawken/HomeKitLink-Siri/issues/28

viewtopic.php?f=366&t=27199

viewtopic.php?f=366&t=27213

viewtopic.php?f=366&t=27122

viewtopic.php?f=366&t=27123

As you surmise that Mac is not compatible with your upgraded Home.

Every Home client needs to exchange security keys with every Bridge. That is why it is a problem for HKLS - this old, incompatible client is attempting to exchange security keys which fail and repeatedly fail. It will also be doing the same for every other bridge in your Home. Which isn’t particularly ideal.

You can ignore the message - although I wouldn’t recommend it.

Either update the client (OSX version) to compatible Home, or remove the Home from that client removing the messages.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:37 am
macguyincali offline

Ah, that explains why nothing came up when I dutifully searched the error string. It is an updated version of an earlier error string. So the earlier version of Home on my iMac does not play well with the updated HomeKit ecosystem, it appears.

The problem cropped right after I updated HKLS plugin. Because I have hundreds of devices, the error is repeated hundreds upon hundreds of times which I believe was causing the Indigo server to hang and/or act weird. Or not, could have been coincidental.

At any rate, when I logged out of that old iMac, the errors did not come up and everything seemed to return to normal. So it sounds like I need to remove the Home from the Home app on that computer, if I don't want this problem to surface again? And I'll need to keep an eye on older computers / iPads / iPhones to make sure they aren't impacting the system.

Seems like I have my solution.

Also, I just wanted to thank you for the hard work you've done on this plug-in. About 12 years ago, I built a house and outfitted every outlet, plug and switch with Insteon devices but was unable to integrate to HomeKit for a good while. Meanwhile lots of new technologies have come up in the HomeKit world which I've adopted but had to manage separately to the Indigo Insteon ecosystem. Your plug-in has given a new lease on life to this system as it allows me to integrate Insteon, Z-wave and HomeKit devices seamlessly into my 100% HomeKit controlled system. I also use HomeBridge for some applications. As a result, every light in my house, coffee machines, door lock, garage doors, electric kettles, HVAC, sprinkler system, security system everything... is controllable by voice or the Home app. I know you guys often labor long hours often in obscurity to make these plugins work properly so... from one HA enthusiast... thank you. It is what is keeping me in Indigo for the foreseeable future.

Posted on
Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:18 pm
GlennNZ offline

macguyincali wrote:

Also, I just wanted to thank you for the hard work you've done on this plug-in. About 12 years ago, I built a house and outfitted every outlet, plug and switch with Insteon devices but was unable to integrate to HomeKit for a good while. Meanwhile lots of new technologies have come up in the HomeKit world which I've adopted but had to manage separately to the Indigo Insteon ecosystem. Your plug-in has given a new lease on life to this system as it allows me to integrate Insteon, Z-wave and HomeKit devices seamlessly into my 100% HomeKit controlled system. I also use HomeBridge for some applications. As a result, every light in my house, coffee machines, door lock, garage doors, electric kettles, HVAC, sprinkler system, security system everything... is controllable by voice or the Home app. I know you guys often labor long hours often in obscurity to make these plugins work properly so... from one HA enthusiast... thank you.

It is what is keeping me in Indigo for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the feedback - always nice to get!.

Just wanted to check one thing though - you mentioned hundred of messages? . Just checking that you know that each HKLS bridges can have up to 99 Indigo devices published per bridge. This error message is one per bridge so would receive one for every HLKS bridge you have. (using one bridge for one device has been a mistake others have made before, well one, and whilst works probably adds quite a bit of overhead). Just double checking….

The slow down may relate to the logging and the number of messages traffic received. This is one reason I left this message in - as can’t be good for network all this mDNS traffic from old systems trying to pair verify and confirm keys. Hence finding the issue and resolving best option.

Either logging out of Home on the device, or upgrading OSX if able, should remove the traffic and messaging.

Glenn

Posted on
Wed Dec 06, 2023 4:59 pm
Monstergerm offline

I received today too this error although I have updated the Home Kit architecture several weeks ago. The IP address points to my iPhone that is running 16.7.1 so the Home app should be compatible with this version of HomeKit.
Do you think this is a odd onetime error or something else is not working properly?
Should I reset anything, remove the Home Bridge from Home app, reset Accessory/Bridge?

Posted on
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:05 pm
GlennNZ offline

If it is an one off error - would just ignore

Likely something went wrong with the earlier request - which is why this error appeared.

Basically when verifying without pairing first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:10 pm
Monstergerm offline

Is there a way to verify my setup to (a) confirm that all my Home apps are compatible with HKLS and the latest Home architecture and (b) I don't have any outdated incompatible Home apps on older devices?

Posted on
Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:07 pm
GlennNZ offline

Monstergerm wrote:
Is there a way to verify my setup to (a) confirm that all my Home apps are compatible with HKLS and the latest Home architecture and (b) I don't have any outdated incompatible Home apps on older devices?

Hi

The issue here is the actual Home architecture. Any old Home apps aren’t compatible with HomeKit. Not particularly related to HKLS - even though we are reporting the message.

So any check should be at the HomeKit end - of which I’m not sure whether they provide any information. On upgrade there is a message regarding devices being not compatible - which you should have received?

Some of the HomeKit type iOS apps - Controller etc. may report and/or check but not sure

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:27 pm
Monstergerm offline

Where in your plugin is this message being generated? I like to elevate it to “error” level to more easily monitor it for a while.

Posted on
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:55 am
vintonc offline

I was having this same issue and couldn't get iOS 15.8 on an iPad Air to delete the home within Home app. I finally looked in Settings -> Home and found/remembered that this iPad was set to act as a hub. After turning off that feature the log messages are gone.

Posted on
Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:39 pm
macguyincali offline

GlennNZ wrote:
macguyincali wrote:

Also, I just wanted to thank you for the hard work you've done on this plug-in. About 12 years ago, I built a house and outfitted every outlet, plug and switch with Insteon devices but was unable to integrate to HomeKit for a good while. Meanwhile lots of new technologies have come up in the HomeKit world which I've adopted but had to manage separately to the Indigo Insteon ecosystem. Your plug-in has given a new lease on life to this system as it allows me to integrate Insteon, Z-wave and HomeKit devices seamlessly into my 100% HomeKit controlled system. I also use HomeBridge for some applications. As a result, every light in my house, coffee machines, door lock, garage doors, electric kettles, HVAC, sprinkler system, security system everything... is controllable by voice or the Home app. I know you guys often labor long hours often in obscurity to make these plugins work properly so... from one HA enthusiast... thank you.

It is what is keeping me in Indigo for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the feedback - always nice to get!.

Just wanted to check one thing though - you mentioned hundred of messages? . Just checking that you know that each HKLS bridges can have up to 99 Indigo devices published per bridge. This error message is one per bridge so would receive one for every HLKS bridge you have. (using one bridge for one device has been a mistake others have made before, well one, and whilst works probably adds quite a bit of overhead). Just double checking….

The slow down may relate to the logging and the number of messages traffic received. This is one reason I left this message in - as can’t be good for network all this mDNS traffic from old systems trying to pair verify and confirm keys. Hence finding the issue and resolving best option.

Either logging out of Home on the device, or upgrading OSX if able, should remove the traffic and messaging.

Glenn

Sorry for the delayed response, Glenn. I believe that when I install a HKLS device, it automatically creates a new bridge for it in HomeKit. When I scan the code, first it asks to add a bridge and then it asks to add the device. I don't see any options to add the device to an existing bridge. Consequently, I have hundreds of HKLS devices (and bridges). Is there something I'm doing wrong? It all seems to work fine, so not sure if I'm going to run into any issues at some point (perhaps hitting a hard limit for bridges on HK).

Posted on
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:23 pm
GlennNZ offline

Yep that is completely wrong really. The overhead, mDNS overhead and threads required for 100’s of Bridges would be significant. Shows how modular the code is that is working well, or at all really.

To clarify:

You create a HKLS Bridge - the settings page opens and you select an Indigo based device, name, checkbox enable publish save a device.
You then select another device from this same settings window - and do the same
Up to 98 times.

When done that, or wish a bridge for each room, or bridge for device types - create a new HKLS bridge and do the same.

I’m not sure what you mean there is not option.
You just select another Indigo device in the HKLS bridge settings page and enter name, details and checkbox publish and press save.
And then repeat for up to 98 devices per bridge.

You options at this point are:

To unpublish the devices one by one and add them to a new single bridge.
Ideally unpublish first.
Then will have to delete bridges manually, that you added manually in Home app

Glenn

Posted on
Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:31 pm
macguyincali offline

You create a HKLS Bridge - the settings page opens and you select an Indigo based device, name, checkbox enable publish save a device.
You then select another device from this same settings window - and do the same
Up to 98 times.

Wow, I've been doing it all wrong. Probably should have read the instructions more carefully. It seemed so intuitive but I guess I've ended up with a bridge for each device. So far it is working fine and I'm loathe to go through the process all over again for each device, if I don't have to. I think moving forward I'll do it the way you describe and maybe over time transition existing HK devices to a shared bridge. I guess I was thinking that the Create New Device dialogue in Indigo was intended to create one device at a time, so I was adding a HKLS Bridge, adding the device to HomeKit and then closing it and saving it in Indigo as "HomeKit - office - lamp" or whatever. So I have an entire folder of HKLS "devices" which are analogues to the Insteon devices.

I'd say I'm pretty tech / Indigo savvy, but sometimes I guess you can know just enough to get yourself in trouble. Thanks!

Posted on
Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:14 am
Monstergerm offline

I am still getting from time to time this error.

2024-03-08 21:38:55.195 HomeKitLink Siri Error (hap_handler.py: Function: _pair_verify_two line: 590): Error : Message : Home app Client with IP address ('10.0.1.29', 64842) appears incompatible with this version of homekit. It attempted to connect to Bridge HomeKitLink Bridge 175014 and this connection failed to verify.
2024-03-08 21:38:55.195 HomeKitLink Siri Error (hap_handler.py: Function: _pair_verify_two line: 591): Error : Message : Typically this means this client hasn't been updated to latest OS version, or is incompatible with it. This needs to be addressed with the Client Home App. See forum for more details as needed.

the device in question is an iPhone13 mini running iOS17.3.1 so it is using a current Client Home App.

Plugin version 0.6.29 with Indigo 2023.1 running on an old MacMini with Mojave.

Posted on
Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:22 pm
macguyincali offline

I have an old iMac that my kids use from time to time. I've taken Home out of iCloud, but I still get the incompatible error. Is there any other way to disable the Home app on the incompatible systems?

-JP