Find my iDevices!

Posted on
Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:38 am
johnpolasek offline

Re: Find my iDevices!

bschollnick2 wrote:
Once your setup with iCloud, MobileMe is generally disabled....

Find My iPhone services from Apple, work both with iCloud, and MobileMe. But my understanding is that when you migrate your MobileMe account over to icloud, your MobileMe access is disabled...

So, since I never had a MobileMe account and can't get one now that everything has been migrated to ICloud, I can't use the plugin to locate my IPhone? Are you planning to (or is it even possible to) update the plugin to use ICloud rather than MobileMe?

Posted on
Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:28 am
Dewster35 offline

This plugin works with both MobileMe and iCloud services.... I would suggest actually reading through the forum to get a better understanding of how to use this plugin.

Posted on
Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:23 pm
johnpolasek offline

Dewster35 wrote:
This plugin works with both MobileMe and iCloud services.... I would suggest actually reading through the forum to get a better understanding of how to use this plugin.

As I said in my original post, I HAVE read (quickly, I admit; I could have overlooked something subtle or buried in a code page) through the previous 12 pages of postings, and unless I missed it, EVERYTHING talks only about MobileMe accounts, which I don't have and apparently can't get since last October... and although my ICloud account finds my IPhone just fine on Macs and the phone itself and the FindMyIDevices plugin displays the correct lat-long centerpoint, the plugin shows no registered devices on MobileMe using the configured ICloud account and password and I have seen no configuration option to use ICloud. So, let me repeat the question... exactly HOW do I get the plugin to work with "both MobileMe and iCloud services"? Reading through it again a little more carefully, do I HAVE to create the device (with it's alternative login credentials) for it to show up? Is that all that I missed :oops: ? I'm at work at the moment, so it'll be a few hours before I can try that one...

Posted on
Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:52 pm
Dewster35 offline

You put your iCloud credentials into the plugin configuration and you create a device (find my advices - plugin and model) and you choose the device you're trying to track. That device carries with it all the location information based on your home location that you can do triggers from.

Posted on
Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:32 pm
gtreece offline

I'm in the same boat. I created the initial device, where I had to put in my credentials, and map center location, etc. When I close that out, the log shows me that it's reloading the plugin, that it was retrieving location data, and that it was done locating all devices.

If I go to the next step, of creating a device for one of my iDevices, the drop-down doesn't show me any to choose from.

If I pull up the map page, it centers on my coordinates, but does not show any iDevices in the table or on the map.

If I go to iCloud.com (using same credentials entered above), it finds all my devices just fine.

I'm leaning towards it being a firewall issue. I haven't tried to troubleshoot it yet. SInce it's working for some, and not working for others, seems like it's a localized issue of some sort. Port being blocked or something probably.

Posted on
Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:55 pm
bschollnick2 offline

johnpolasek wrote:
Dewster35 wrote:

As I said in my original post, I HAVE read (quickly, I admit; I could have overlooked something subtle or buried in a code page) through the previous 12 pages of postings, and unless I missed it, EVERYTHING talks only about MobileMe accounts, which I don't have and apparently can't get since last October... and although my ICloud account finds my IPhone just fine on Macs and the phone itself and the FindMyIDevices plugin displays the correct lat-long centerpoint, the plugin shows no registered devices on MobileMe using the configured ICloud account and password and I have seen no configuration option to use ICloud. So, let me repeat the question... exactly HOW do I get the plugin to work with "both MobileMe and iCloud services"? Reading through it again a little more carefully, do I HAVE to create the device (with it's alternative login credentials) for it to show up? Is that all that I missed :oops: ? I'm at work at the moment, so it'll be a few hours before I can try that one...

The Find My iPhone service is transparent between both iCloud, and MobileMe.

The reason MobileMe is more often mentioned, is that is what this plugin was originally worked with. I am using iCloud with it, and it works fine... Except for the rare times when Apple changes the backend, and isn't nice enough to warn us about it.

Once you put in either your MobileMe or iCloud username & password, the plugin should work fine....

There can be an issue where if your devices are not shown in the pull down, you need to save the device record, and exit back to the main indigo device listing. But then, if you go back into the device, the idevices should be listed in the pull down. But this doesn't happen every time, and is related to a timing issue....

Sadly, I have not been able to come up with a 100% solution for this issue...

- Benjamin

------
My Plugins for Indigo (v4, v5, and v6) - http://bit.ly/U8XxPG

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:20 pm
gtreece offline

bschollnick2 wrote:
There can be an issue where if your devices are not shown in the pull down, you need to save the device record, and exit back to the main indigo device listing. But then, if you go back into the device, the idevices should be listed in the pull down. But this doesn't happen every time, and is related to a timing issue....

Sadly, I have not been able to come up with a 100% solution for this issue...

- Benjamin

I've tried this several times, and never have any devices show in the drop-down. Besides just returning to the main device list, I've tried some combinations of quitting the client, stopping the server and restarting the machine. I just don't ever see any of my devices. Must be something unique to my (and maybe a few others) setup, but I haven't figure it out yet.

Posted on
Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:42 pm
gtreece offline

It's always in the last place you look, eh? Figured I might as well turn on debugging, to see what additional info it would give me, and wouldn't you know, it populated my device list.

That being said, it let me define the first one OK, and started getting updates from it. When I set up the second device, I couldn't get it to 'take', until I reloaded the plugin again.

Posted on
Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:37 am
johnpolasek offline

gtreece wrote:
It's always in the last place you look, eh? Figured I might as well turn on debugging, to see what additional info it would give me, and wouldn't you know, it populated my device list.

That being said, it let me define the first one OK, and started getting updates from it. When I set up the second device, I couldn't get it to 'take', until I reloaded the plugin again.

Thanks for that tip; When I tried it, the debug toggle didn't work till I changed the name of my phone (the first device in the iCloud list) from John's Phone to Johns Phone, remembering something I had read somewhere in the earlier posts about special characters causing problems... But then it DID work to populate the list. However, it still is not retrieving any location data (and giving me the red update notification about 1.221 being available although that's the version I downloaded). I'm wondering if I'm going to have to rename ALL the iCloud devices including the computers we stream from/to (with names like Kate's Laptop), which is going to be a real pain since two of them are at college.

Posted on
Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:14 am
gtreece offline

My devices all have an apostrophe, like "Greg's iPhone", and are working OK now. After I defined the second device and saved it, it wasn't updating any information for it, until I reloaded the plugin. With debugging on, it was saying that it wasn't in the Indigo database. Just forcing a status update didn't do anything.

Just now, I defined a 3rd device, and it had the same behavior. Just going back to the main device list after saving it, wasn't enough for it to 'take'. I had to reload the plugin after defining and saving it, at which point the 'not in Indigo database' messages stopped, and it started retrieving data for it.

Posted on
Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:34 pm
bschollnick2 offline

gtreece wrote:
My devices all have an apostrophe, like "Greg's iPhone", and are working OK now. After I defined the second device and saved it, it wasn't updating any information for it, until I reloaded the plugin. With debugging on, it was saying that it wasn't in the Indigo database. Just forcing a status update didn't do anything.

Just now, I defined a 3rd device, and it had the same behavior. Just going back to the main device list after saving it, wasn't enough for it to 'take'. I had to reload the plugin after defining and saving it, at which point the 'not in Indigo database' messages stopped, and it started retrieving data for it.

I do recommend not having special characters in the names... Spaces should work fine, but try it without any special characters first, and then make it more complex....

------

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Posted on
Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:18 am
johnpolasek offline

Initially, it looked like gtreece's procedure was working for me; my phone was registered as in the back yard rather than in the house, but that was OK, and the home fence showed up on the map. BUT, then this morning, I noticed that the phone hadn't moved from it's original location, it still showed 0.5 charge and was listed as not charging even though it has been sitting on the charger all night and the phone shows 100%... I thought that maybe the plugin simply hadn't been refreshing, but the timestamp for the device was this morning at 5:12. Does the plugin not change any data (other than the time) until the phone moves some significant amount?

Posted on
Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:28 pm
gtreece offline

I noticed on mine, that the only data that really seemed accurate, was the position. Charge data, etc. are not updating.

Posted on
Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:48 am
Dewster35 offline

My thought is that everything other than the location data was placeholder and not working at this time, which is fine by me since I am not needing anything other than location.

Posted on
Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:34 am
bschollnick2 offline

Dewster35 wrote:
My thought is that everything other than the location data was placeholder and not working at this time, which is fine by me since I am not needing anything other than location.

The data that is shown is what Apple is returning from the Find My iPhone request. The issue is how to read that data. Since this is a closed API, that has been reversed engineered, we do not know what a 0.5 or a 0.9976 charge represents. Does 1.00 mean full? (No, it doesn't, since I have never seen my devices have a 1.00 charge). Does 0.5 mean half charged? (I don't believe so).

And so forth. The values have meaning, The issue is that no one other than Apple really know's what they mean.... I am considering removing some of the data, like charging, etc.... Since they are really not that useful...

- Ben

------

Page 13 of 27 1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 27