Best strategies for remote reset of mac & internet

Posted on
Fri May 11, 2012 4:07 pm
scotsman offline

Best strategies for remote reset of mac & internet

Wondering if anyone has a bullet proof strategy for remotely resetting everything in case of a failure? I am away from home for long periods this year and having a few problems with things needing reset.

Set-up:

- indigo running on a mac mini server without a screen
- Apple remote desktop for remote control
- VPN for remote access
- Time warner cable modem
- A time capsule router connected to the mac mini and security cameras
- Mac is set to power on after a power failure and restart automatically if computer freezes. Applications launch automatically.

Ignoring indigo/insteon failure, control system points of failure are:
- Internet stops working and TWC modem needs powered down then up
- Time capsule stops working and needs to be powered down then up
- Mac mini needs restarting

Anyway, everything stopped working recently while I was away and no way to access anything.

Anyone figured this out? Might the powerlinc ever need powering down then up?

So far: looking at the iBoot web controlled power switch as a possibility for resetting the mac mini:
http://dataprobe.com/iboot-g2.php

Also looking at this code that pings a web server periodically and resets the Time Warner cable modem and router in case of failure using an appliancelinc.

Code: Select all
property this_URL : "www.apple.com"

--This script is based on a shell script from Apple's website called Qwik Ping
try
   set this_result to do shell script ("/sbin/ping -c 1 " & this_URL) as string
   if this_result does not contain "0%" then
--The above line checks for package loss if there is reset modem

turn off "Modem"
      delay 3
      turn on "Modem"
      log "Connection failure!"
   end if

--If error is returned also reset modem

on error error_message
   turn off "Modem"
   delay 3
   turn on "Modem"
   log "Connection failure!"
end try

Thanks!

Posted on
Fri May 11, 2012 5:52 pm
scotsman offline

Re: Best strategies for remote reset of mac & internet

Hmm looks some of my questions were asked in similar posts. Looking at the iBoot products, they can ping an external or internal server, so probably the best strategy is to get 2 of them. One pings an external server, and if there is no response it reboots the time capsule and the time warner cable modem. The other can power cycle the mac mini separately if needed.

Seems like a better idea than an appliancelinc as that relies on indigo, and a better solution is one that is independent.

Posted on
Fri May 11, 2012 8:51 pm
lalisingh offline

scotsman wrote:
Hmm looks some of my questions were asked in similar posts. Looking at the iBoot products, they can ping an external or internal server, so probably the best strategy is to get 2 of them. One pings an external server, and if there is no response it reboots the time capsule and the time warner cable modem. The other can power cycle the mac mini separately if needed.

Seems like a better idea than an appliancelinc as that relies on indigo, and a better solution is one that is independent.

Very interesting thread. Redundancy and automatic failover of critical components is the key.
So a possible cost-no-object brainstorming list would be:

For networks something like this looks interesting http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/VRRP

For the mac mini a 'cluster' type implementation with RAID disks would be very interesting. I read a post in this forum recently discussng a virtual server approach

For critical devices (appliances,lights) dual path control ( intsteon + IP based product(iBoot) ) could provide the redundancy

Hope this gets some interesting discussion going.

[url]https://www.VillageWorker.com[/url]
Extreme data analytics, Sensing, Control integration work.
Indigo • Barix • Kentix • Mobotix • Mikrotik • Apple

Posted on
Sun May 13, 2012 3:59 am
philc offline

I've been thinking about the same kind of issues. My server setup is in the basement in a closet under the stairs. Hard resets are a pain because of the physical location of on/off switches, power plugs, etc.

One way I try to AVOID had resets is to have my Mac Mini Server restart on a schedule. I set it up in energy saver to reboot every Sunday morning at 2 am. That has been really effective. The only time the Mac Mini locks up on me now is when I'm actively altering settings, etc; i.e., I'm doing something with the computer that has a potential to cause a lock up. However, I do occasionally have the problem that a program will throw up a user dialog on the screen of which I am not aware; the weekly reboot gets cancelled because the dialog is still open. Screen sharing still works, though, so I pop in, clear the dialog, and reboot that way.

Am seriously considering putting the cable modem on a lamplinc. The cable modem seems to be the weak link in the system, and if the Mac Mini stays up most of the time I can power cycle the lamplinc.

Interesting thread...
Phil

Posted on
Sun May 13, 2012 2:18 pm
nsheldon offline

scotsman wrote:
- Internet stops working and TWC modem needs powered down then up
- Time capsule stops working and needs to be powered down then up
- Mac mini needs restarting

The idea of using an Indigo schedule to ping an external host and power-cycle the cable modem and/or Time Capsule should work well, assuming the Mac mini is reliable (all of this is assuming there is main wall power available).

However, the root cause of all of the above reliability issues should be addressed.

A cable modem shouldn't need to be regularly restarted, though I know this is a rather common problem. In my own situation (with Comcast), I was finally able to convince them that my unreliable, frequent-restart-needing cable modem needed to be replaced by a newer model. The newer unit is much more reliable and has never needed to be restarted to re-establish cable internet service. This is only anecdotal though, there are still other possible causes of unreliable cable internet service beyond the modem itself, and replacing it may not actually fix anything.

The Time Capsule should also never (or very rarely) need rebooting. I'm currently using an older AirPort Extreme (802.11n, non-gigabit) with moderate internet usage from numerous in-house clients and have never had to restart it outside of firmware updates or configuration changes. Before the AirPort Extreme, I had a Linksys, then a D-Link, then a Netgear. Every one of them needed to be restarted regularly, but the AirPort Extreme has been the most reliable. However, I've never had a Time Capsule, perhaps that model is more unreliable than the AirPort Extremes. In any case, if it's a point of failure, you might consider a different router.

As with the Time Capsule, the Mac mini really shouldn't freeze up. If it is, there's something wrong with the software setup on it or the hardware. I've had 2 Mac minis act as servers in my house (not at the same time). The first Mac mini (1.6 GHz Core Duo) did have freezing issues where it would inexplicably hang or kernel panic. I eventually replaced it (after what seemed to be a motherboard failure) with a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini. The Core 2 Duo model has been running 24/7 since mid-2008, first as a media server, and now as both a media sever and Indigo server since mid-2010. It's hung so infrequently that I can't remember the last time it's done so. I should note, though, that I do access it frequently (with the Indigo Client and/or Remote Desktop) and usually reboot it about once a month in the course of Apple updates or other restart-required updates. If your Mac mini is hanging often, you might consider trying to locate the source of those hangs (misbehaving background app, misbehaving driver, etc). If it's kernel panicking, that's a more serious issue that could either be a very badly behaving driver or a hardware issue.

I realize, however, that sometimes it's easier and faster to simply address the symptoms rather than the source of the problem. To that end, as mentioned above, I think using an Indigo schedules to ping an outside source for testing network connectivity could be useful. You'd have to have a long enough time in between checks to allow for a modem/router reboot to complete before the computer power-cycled the setup again. A regularly scheduled reboot of the Mac mini (via Energy Saver schedule in System Preference) might also be helpful.

With regards to using a virtual machine to host a Mac OS X instance, having some experience working with VMs and VMware ESX stuff on a fairly large scale, I'm not convinced that it would bring a great deal of added reliability without a dedicated, power-redundant data center to host it. Virtualizing is good for distributing vast hardware resources across lots of small low-resource-requiring virtual servers, but without the robust power and network back-end, VMs are no more reliable than the hardware on which they reside. If you have 1 hardware ESX host with 1 VM running Mac OS X, you've done nothing to address the redundant power or network requirements (or even hardware reliability). Even with 2 ESX hosts for an HA (High Availability) cluster (to address the condition of 1 ESX host dying), if both ESX hosts are on the same breaker/street power source and on the same network block, if either power or network are lost, HA will make no difference. In most cases, the computer hardware will be more reliable than your power source or network connection. In short, a virtual machine solution for a home setup is overkill and a waste of time and money.

Posted on
Tue May 15, 2012 3:31 pm
scotsman offline

Good posts. I also believe in the reliability of the apple gear. However I don't believe they are immune to needing restarts, particularly when running unattended for months at a time. Generally the simpler the system the less failure points, so a time capsule is inherently more failure prone than an airport base station for instance.

I lost touch with the Macmini after performing a system update via remote desktop while I was in Australia recently. Don't know why that happened.

We use a time capsule here at work - occasionally I have lost the wi-fi signal and it needs a restart.

The Time Warner Cable modem is definitely a point of failure. It's 2 years old, and I am not sure if there are any other options for it.

Posted on
Tue May 15, 2012 3:39 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

They have to replace my Roadrunner cable modem about every 2 years. KWALITEE hardware that...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1