Need help troubleshooting an X10 failure

Posted on
Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:40 pm
twynne offline

Need help troubleshooting an X10 failure

Hi,

I've been using Indigo for a number of years now with a CM11 connected via a Keyspan adapter and have generally had very few issues with it. Suddenly in the last couple of weeks I've had modules failing to respond at random, and finally a few days ago ALL modules stopped responding.

When I've seen this kind of thing in the past it's usually the Keyspan needs a reset, the Mac needs a reboot, or something has been introduced on the power line which is interfering. The first 2 were easy to rule out. Restarting the Mac and fully powering off the Keyspan made no difference. The last option (interference) is obviously a bit more difficult.

I have a number of filters in the property into which I've plugged anything containing a motor (hard drives, fans, etc.), any power strips, laptop power supplies, etc. I'm wondering if one of the X10 filters has failed and is allowing noise onto the line (either a fuse or a complete failure). Does anyone know if devices plugged into an X10 filter would continue to work if the filter had failed? Any other way to test the things?

Looking at Indigo, I can see it appears to be successfully sending commands (ie. transmission to the CM11 is green and completes). Even more strange, I have an X10 RF Receiver set up to pick up signals from a motion detector in the entry hall, and this traffic IS reaching Indigo successfully.

Of course I can run around unplugging things and trying, etc., but this is a very long and slow process, and complicated by the fact that the equipment running Indigo is plugged into one of the filters (so I can't easily test that one).

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Posted on
Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:14 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Need help troubleshooting an X10 failure

You seem to have a good grasp of the problem and what you'll have to do to solve the problem. I'd suggest turning off all circuits except the one with the Mac and CM11 and test. If you're still having issues then the noise may be on that circuit. If everything works there, then start turning the circuits on one at a time.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1