Plex Plugin

Posted on
Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Plex Plugin

kalisphoenix wrote:
The only difficulty I anticipate is that I'll have to learn Python along the way. That might cause some delays.

FWIW, 1) I suspect that'll be much less a problem than you think - it's a great little language that's actually fun to use and 2) learning it is good for another reason - the Indigo plugin API will (most likely) be in python so you'll have already crossed that hurdle. Plugins are gonna be a BIG DEAL moving forward.

Congrats on the new rug rat and good luck! :D

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:33 am
kpfriedberg offline

There is interest in this over on the Plex forums as well where i started a similar thread...
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?/topic/12125-indigoinsteon-plug-in/page__p__77914__hl__indigo__fromsearch__1&#entry77914

Posted on
Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:21 am
kpfriedberg offline

Apparently someone has developed a plugin and is going to post over at the Plex forums...
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?/topic/12125-indigoinsteon-plug-in/page__p__77923__hl__indigo__fromsearch__1&#entry77923

Posted on
Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:41 am
kalisphoenix offline

kpfriedberg wrote:
Apparently someone has developed a plugin and is going to post over at the Plex forums...
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php?/topic/12125-indigoinsteon-plug-in/page__p__77923__hl__indigo__fromsearch__1&#entry77923

Heh. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride...

Posted on
Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:09 pm
kpfriedberg offline

i think you two should collaborate...two heads are better than one :D

Posted on
Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:18 pm
kalisphoenix offline

kpfriedberg wrote:
i think you two should collaborate...two heads are better than one :D

When he uploads it I'll see if I have any suggestions... but since all I have right now is basic authentication and device listing, I doubt I'll have anything material to contribute :)

Posted on
Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:27 pm
kpfriedberg offline

one never knows...

Posted on
Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:13 pm
kpfriedberg offline

kpfriedberg wrote:

Beta plug is available at the above link. Guy has done a great job. Its beta but it works well.

Posted on
Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:21 am
kalisphoenix offline

I posted mine too. Grabs the list of all devices and allows toggling their state. Trying to figure out how to code the little pop-up UI dudes so that I can implement HVAC and dimming... that's the next step. Then action groups and variables. After that comes picking a better icon, a better background, and a less trademark-infringing name. Then: beer.

EDIT: Updated version (architectural improvements) here.

Posted on
Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:47 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

kalisphoenix wrote:
I posted mine too. Grabs the list of all devices and allows toggling their state. Trying to figure out how to code the little pop-up UI dudes so that I can implement HVAC and dimming... that's the next step. Then action groups and variables. After that comes picking a better icon, a better background, and a less trademark-infringing name. Then: beer.

EDIT: Updated version (architectural improvements) here.

Excellent work! To answer a couple of your questions from over there:

kalisphoenix wrote:
* Multiple menu items, such as DEVICES, ACTIONS, VARIABLES... but also LIGHTS, SPRINKLERS, HEATING AND COOLING... or something like that. What do you guys think? That way, you can always access every device, but in practice you can select a menu option to prune down the list to what you're actually looking for. Something extra cool would be the ability for YOU, the end user, to add your own categories and then add devices to those categories... but I'm not sure if that's practical.

What would be really nice would be to have the Plex plugin respect the folder hierarchy as defined in the Indigo client (like IWS and Indigo Touch do). Something that we should definitely add to the RESTful APIs - I've added it to the to do list.

kalisphoenix wrote:
* The current icon is ugly as hell. Will fix. May ask Perceptive Automation if they mind if I use their icon, etc.
* Using "Indigo" as the name, which is sort of trademark infringement or something. Once I get some more work done, I'll make clear that this isn't affiliated, etc.

We'll talk among ourselves and let you know... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:03 am
kpfriedberg offline

Its great to have two people working on this. I personally think kalisphoenix's approach is better, but i am having trouble making it work...when Plex is running on a remote machine, it won't communicate with the indigo server at all, and when plex is running on the indigo machine, while it sees the indigo server, the devices don't come up...

Posted on
Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:08 am
kpfriedberg offline

jay wrote:
What would be really nice would be to have the Plex plugin respect the folder hierarchy as defined in the Indigo client (like IWS and Indigo Touch do). Something that we should definitely add to the RESTful APIs - I've added it to the to do list.

That would be great. The iPhone setup is great. Another thing that would be amazing is to be able to access the control pages. For those of us that have set up control panels with our floorplans as the background, it would look terrific up on the big screen...

Posted on
Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:38 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

kpfriedberg wrote:
Another thing that would be amazing is to be able to access the control pages. For those of us that have set up control panels with our floorplans as the background, it would look terrific up on the big screen...

If you can find a way to render HTML in a Plex plugin, then control pages are available. Maybe someone has written a Plex plugin to do that (render HTML in a plugin window). Navigation would most likely suck though. :lol:

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:18 pm
kenjon offline

For me, Actions are enough. Can I trigger the Actions from Plex, then I will be very happy :-)

Posted on
Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:48 pm
kalisphoenix offline

Thanks, guys. kpfriedberg, I'm utterly baffled as to why it isn't working for you. It should "just work," and it works perfectly on both of my machines. I posted some questions over on the Plex forums -- if you can help me troubleshoot, the issues should be resolved fairly quickly. One thing I didn't want to say there (don't want to inflame cdizzel99 any further) is that you might want to make sure that that you only have one Indigo plugin installed at a time. His plugin might intercept calls for mine, and vice versa, due to the way Plex allocates things.

Jay: respecting the Indigo folder hierarchy is definitely the best idea. I'll adhere :)

Also, I know Webkit is integrated into Plex at least somewhat, since their Hulu/Netflix/etc plugins are basically just Webkit windows with all of the extraneous material cropped out. I have no idea how I would implement navigation, though.

Kenjon: Once we get the network issues sorted out, action groups will be added very quickly and easily. I wouldn't be surprised if I got all of the major remaining functionality (Action Groups, Variables, HVAC/Sprinklers/I/O Linc) done in just a couple of days.