WeatherSnoop 3 plug-in not updating

Posted on
Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:14 am
wmcorbin offline

WeatherSnoop 3 plug-in not updating

We have the following set up:

- Davis Vantage Pro2 running in wireless mode (located in back yard about 50 feet from garage)
- Davis console is located in garage using WeatherLinkIP to feed Vantage Pro2 data to Internet. Works fine

- Primary home automation control computer is running in kitchen on a MacMini with Snow Leopard OS. Frozen at this OS level for now because we’ve been using PhoneValet for years with excellent results for a 2-line telephone system. This app will not run on any OS past Snow Leopard. Haven’t found any alternatives. Indigo 6.0.4 is running on this MacMini, too. Works great, except when trying to communicate with WeatherSnoop. Can’t run WeatherSnoop 3 on Snow Leopard system. So...I installed it on a new MacMini sitting in garage. Communicates fine with the networked Davis weather station. However, Indigo on the primary macintosh will S L O W L Y allow me to define devices from the remote Mac running WeatherSnoop 3. It shows up as an instance with correct network address, but often takes a long time to define or ‘times out’ altogether. The Event Log will show the following:

creating table device_history_326100807 for "new device"
WeatherSnoop Error Couldn't get information for site - check WeatherSnoop for issues: http://osxserverwx.local:48900/9099D289 ... 3276C.json

WeatherSnoop Error Error getting site information from WeatherSnoop. Make sure that you have a valid IP:Port specified and that WeatherSnoop 3 is running

Where I have been able to define a WeatherSnoop agent, they show the weather value at that time, but do NOT update in Indigo over time.

Is there a problem because I’m running Indigo from a Snow Leopard based Macintosh and am trying to communicate with WeatherSnoop 3 running on a Mountain Lion based system?

Temporary solution to update weather variables on primary Macintosh. I installed WeatherSnoop 2.1.5 on the remote Macintosh. An Applescript routine periodically runs and updates the primary Macintosh with correct values. This same scripting will not work with WeatherSnoop 3.

Posted on
Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:39 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: WeatherSnoop 3 plug-in not updating

Copy/paste the URL in the error message into Safari (on your indigo server mac, not the one running weather snoop). What does it return and does it return it quickly?

Also, since you installed WeatherSnoop 2, did you try adding it using the plugin? The plugin supports both WeatherSnoop 2 and WeatherSnoop 3 so I'm interested to know if the communication to WS2 is also having issues.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:08 pm
wmcorbin offline

It takes a long time...40 seconds or more to return an error. Within the error message is this URL:

http://osxserverwx.local:48900/9099D289 ... 3276C.json

Pasting into Safari brings up a page of 'XML like' data:

{
"software": {
"name": "WeatherSnoop 3",
"version": "3.0"
},
"site": {
"name": "KHTOYPAH1",
"location": "Huntingdon, PA",
"longitude": "40.49094660731058",
"latitude": "-78.0127465724945",
"elevation": "680 feet",
"agent": "Davis Weather Station",
"uri": "http://osxserverwx.local:48900/9099D289-BB41-4F87-9FEE-043A3F93276C.json",
"properties": {
"relativeBarometricPressure": {
"name": "Barometric Pressure (Relative)",
"time": "2013-11-05 14:46:28 -0500",
"values": [
{
"type": "float",
"unit": "in",
"label": "Inches Of Mercury",
"value": "30.50"
},
{
"type": "int",
"unit": "cb",
"label": "Centibars",
"value": "103"
},
{
"type": "int",
"unit": "mb",
"label": "Millibars",
"value": "1033"
}
],

======================================
In trying to edit the weatherSnoop 3 agent, the following error was returned:

WeatherSnoop Error Error in plugin execution ServerReplacedElem:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/plugin_base.py", line 852, in deviceUpdated
File "plugin.py", line 218, in deviceStartComm
File "plugin.py", line 536, in update
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/xml/dom/minidom.py", line 1925, in parseString
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 940, in parseString
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 223, in parseString
<class 'xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError'>: syntax error: line 1, column 49

Posted on
Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:11 pm
wmcorbin offline

Having issues with the WeatherSnoop 2 plug-in, too. No problem assigning 'devices,' but they never update.

Posted on
Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:20 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

wmcorbin wrote:
In trying to edit the weatherSnoop 3 agent, the following error was returned:

WeatherSnoop Error Error in plugin execution ServerReplacedElem:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoPluginHost.app/Contents/PlugIns/plugin_base.py", line 852, in deviceUpdated
File "plugin.py", line 218, in deviceStartComm
File "plugin.py", line 536, in update
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/xml/dom/minidom.py", line 1925, in parseString
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 940, in parseString
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/xml/dom/expatbuilder.py", line 223, in parseString
<class 'xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError'>: syntax error: line 1, column 49

That's very odd - that section of code is for a weathersnoop 2 station, not a weathersnoop 3 agent. Are you sure your looking at the right device? You might want to just delete all stations you have and start over just to start from a known state. Before you add the weather snoop 3 agent device, select Plugins->WeatherSnoop->Toggle Debugging to turn on extra debug logging. Go ahead and add the device and see what happens. If it doesn't work then select the Help->Email Log… menu item, leave the defaults in there except add your forum username on the end of the subject line, and click Send.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:34 pm
wmcorbin offline

I removed all signs of WeatherSnoop from both computers. Including plug-ins. I installed WeatherSnoop 3 on the remote Mac. Indigo continues to run on the primary Macintosh. Created WeatherSnoop 3 agents on the Indigo based Macintosh with links to WeatherSnoop 3 on the remote computer. 24 hours now and all agents appear to be working fine.

Posted on
Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:31 am
wmcorbin offline

I’ve made no changes to either Indigo or WeatherSnoop 3, but yesterday the plug-in no longer posted updates from the Macintosh running WeatherSnoop 3. If I try to edit a device (double click device), it takes a minute or so for Indigo to respond. The following error message is received:

Error (client) timeout waiting for plugin response from com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.weathersnoop for request CalcDeviceFun

When I click on the Edit Deice Settings button, 20-30 seconds go by and the following is received:

Error (client) timeout waiting for plugin response from com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.weathersnoop for request UiGetValues2
Error (client) timeout waiting for plugin response from com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.weathersnoop for request CallPluginFunc
Error (client) runDialogForDevice() caught exception: NSInvalidArgumentException -- *** -[NSCFDictionary initWithObjects:forKeys:count:]: attempt to insert nil value at objects[0] (key: string)

Indigo 6.0.5 is running on 1 Macintosh, WeatherSnoop 3 is running on a different Macintosh. Both are network connected using Ethernet. No problem exchanging files between the 2. The Mac running WeatherSnoop 3 is accessed by using either osxserverwx.local:8888 or 10.0.1.200:8888 Typing in either address from any computer on the network immediately displays the WeatherSnoop 3 server page. At this page, weather data is being updated in near real time.

I also noticed that if I try to access the WeatherSnoop plugin under the Plugins menu using Configuration, the following error message is received:

Error (client) timeout waiting for plugin response from com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.weathersnoop for request UiGetValues1
Error (client) timeout waiting for plugin response from com.perceptiveautomation.indigoplugin.weathersnoop for request CallPluginFunc
Error (client) runConfigDialog() caught exception: NSInvalidArgumentException -- *** -[NSCFDictionary initWithObjects:forKeys:count:]: attempt to insert nil value at objects[0] (key: string)

Posted on
Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:36 am
wmcorbin offline

Follow up to previous message - I trashed the WeatherSnoop plugin and reinstalled Indigo 6.0,5. I enabled the WeatherSnoop plugin. I can now access my WeatherSnoop devices with no problem. So far, they are updating as expected.

Posted on
Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:33 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Those errors indicate that the server couldn't talk to the plugin reliably for some reason. Glad a reinstall fixed it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1