Feature Request: Variable not updated

Posted on
Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:51 am
gregjsmith offline

Feature Request: Variable not updated

I would like to see a trigger action that can be triggered if a variable has not been updated in x seconds.

Posted on
Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:29 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Variable not updated

I'll add that to the feature request list for consideration in future versions.

In the meantime you can do it yourself: create a trigger such that when the variable has any change, it restarts a timer (see the new Timers and Pesters plugin for details) that runs for X seconds. Then create a trigger for when the timer expires that performs your actions. As long as the variable change trigger fires before the timer runs out, the restart timer action will reset the timer and the timer expire trigger won't fire.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:01 am
nsheldon offline

Re: Feature Request: Variable not updated

I do something similar myself to track variables that do not change within a certain timeframe. Rather than using the Timers feature (which works just fine, plus it gives you the ability to track how much time is left), I just use one trigger to do both tasks. When the variable changes, it does 2 actions. Action 1 removes all delayed actions for itself. Action 2 performs the actions associated with the variable not changing and is delayed by the time limit for taking the doesn't-change action. So, an example of the process is

1. "change_tracking" variable changes value.
  2. "Change Didn't Happen" trigger executes.
    1. Action 1 removes any as-yet executed Actions 2 items.
    2. Action 2 is scheduled (delayed 5 minutes) to send me an email notifying me that the change didn't take place.
  3. 4 minutes later, "change_tracking" variable changes.
  4. "Change Didn't Happen" trigger executes.
    1. Action 1 removes the previously scheduled Action 2 item that would have told me a change didn't take palce.
    2. Action 2, again, is scheduled (delayed 5 minutes) to send me an email.
  5. 3 minutes later, "change_tracking" variable changes.
  6. (and this keeps repeating)

This doesn't allow you to see the last time the variable changed, so if that is important to you, Jay's solution is probably a better one, but it does have the advantage of only requiring the setup of 1 trigger and doesn't require the creation of any new Timer devices.

Page 1 of 1