Enhancement requests

Posted on
Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:00 am
berkinet offline

Enhancement requests

For I7, I8 I9 or...

Control page editor.
  • Add a justify (center) around decimal option for numeric variable or device value displays. This would allow number to stack nicely in columns - especially useful where the number of digits in the value changes.
  • Add a suffix (and maybe a prefix) to be displayed to the right (left) of a variable/device value. The position of the suffix/prefix would "float" depending on the size of the value displayed. Example suffixes might be: %, º, ppm, liters, etc.

Plugin toolkit (I think this one is already on your list. If so ++):
  • Allow plugins to pop-up alerts. The AppleScript "Display Alert" is a good model. Though the level of button control could be simpler or even fixed.

Thanks for a great product.

Posted on
Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:42 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Enhancement requests

Thanks for the feedback -- we'll get it added to this list to be prioritized for future version(s).

Posted on
Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:32 am
RogueProeliator offline

+1 for all three... I've struggled with getting the units symbols, especially, to look correct on control pages when a left-aligned text is preferred. Not the biggest issue in the world by any means, but you've mentioned re-doing the control pages in a future version so worth noting support for...

Adam

Posted on
Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:25 pm
berkinet offline

Thanks Matt. On thinking about popups, and discussing notifications with another developer, I'd like to amend my feature request... from "popup windows" to:

General Notification System. This system would let plugin (and Indigo) developers define messages at a range of levels (perhaps like syslog). Then, the user could define the alerting channel for each level. Channels might be "log," email, growl, or maybe, popup a window (with optional timeout).

This would accommodate everyone from users running the client/server as a single application, users running the client on the same hardware, client on remote hardware, and headless servers.

Posted on
Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:07 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Hmmm...

I don't think improved logging (with log levels, etc) and improved notifications should be tied together. They are two things we definitely want to improve for sure.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:18 pm
berkinet offline

Just to clarify... the request was not for improved logging (though I agree that would be great). This is just for notification of events. Some events might be minor, like a new version becoming available, or major, like an alarm zone faulting. The plugin would define the events and assign them to "levels." What Indigo would provide is a mapping for each level to a "channel." Of course logging, and "improved" logging could be channels.

Posted on
Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Honestly, I don't see the necessity for that level of complexity. For logging, yes. For notification, not really. You can do that now by defining your "notification level" as an action group, then trigger on the event and select the appropriate action group. No reason to create yet another mechanism to create a collection of reusable actions.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1