How do I get all Indigo audio to go through Airfoil?

Posted on
Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:09 pm
colovin offline

How do I get all Indigo audio to go through Airfoil?

I'm in way over my head here. I'm trying to feed Indigo audio through an airplay speaker. I've got Airfoil 4.75, I was able to get a speaker ID so it's seeing the speaker. In the Airfoil plug in under configuration I checked on the "Create Speaker Variables" and "create Source Variable" which to my understanding these are suppose to be created in a folder named "Airfoil". I can't find any folder named Airfoil so I can't locate the created variables. In the DSC Alarm plug in, which is the main reason why I want this to happen there's an option to speak to a variable, which I'm thinking if I can get the Airfoil variable I can plug that in. Is this making any sense?

In the Airfoil app I've got Indigo 6 (running beta10) selected as an application and in preferences I've got automatically transmit to "Philips_Fidelio" which is the speaker that I'm using. I would think that would route all the audio from Indigo to that speaker. It isn't.

I don't want all my computer audio going to the Philips speaker. I just want the audio being generated by Indigo. Ideally I'd like to get the audio from Indigo to both my computer and the Philips speaker but if that's not possible then just to the Philips speaker. The kind of audio I'm getting is voice commands from the alarm setup saying when something is armed, disarmed, zone trouble, stuff like that.

Can anyone shed some light on how I might configure this?

Thanks

Airfoil 4.7.5
Indigo 6.0.0 B-10
Mac OS 10.7.5
Mac Mini 8gig ram

Indigo 7.1.1, OS 10.14.6, MacMini .3.2 GHz 6 Intel Core i7, 64 GB ram

Posted on
Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:17 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: How do I get all Indigo audio to go through Airfoil?

You need to select the IndigoServer as the source, not Indigo 6. It can be found here:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoServer.app

That's the Library folder at the top level of your hard drive. Sound originates from that app, not the client (Indigo 6).

The variables, while not really needed, will be created in a folder titled "Airfoil" in the Variable List window which is a separate window from the Home Window. We provide the variables for use in AppleScript primarily since you can't use AppleScript on plugins.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:42 pm
colovin offline

Jay, thanks for the reply. After posting here I went back and restarted Airfoil when it re launched it caught on to the Indigo 6 app. It said it needed to relaunch Indigo for it to work which it did and has worked, all it's audio is now going through the Philips speaker. Would the IndigoServer.app be a better option or if it's working with the Indigo app be just as good? Is it possible that if going with the indigoServer as the source I might get the sound to my computer speakers through the Indigo app? Is there a way to get it to both the computer and the Philips speaker?

Yes the Airfoil folder is in the variables list this is certainly a learning process.

Posted on
Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:57 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Honestly, it shouldn't be working with Indigo 6 selected as the source - that's the client and it doesn't generate any of the sounds that the server speaks - though when you test the speech text in actions it does play through the client.

In order to get all sound from your Mac to go through the speakers (it's what I do), you'll need to select "System Audio" as the source. I believe you have to install some extensions in Airfoil for that to work but I don't remember what the exact process is. With that selected, all sound that your Mac makes will be directed through the speakers you have connected in Airfoil. There is a delay of a second or so but I don't find that a problem.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:24 pm
colovin offline

Actually that's perfect. I hadn't deployed the speaker yet, it was sitting next to me at the computer, I was doing test text and it was coming over the speaker with Indigo as the app in charge. Putting the server.app to the speaker brings the audio I want to from the system and I'm able to hear my tests on the computer as before. I don't want all my computer system sounds going to the other side of the house, just the sounds I want from the Indigo system. It's a win win :-)

Now I'm trying to set up a trigger by the user ID of the person disarming the DSC alarm. That is logged in the event log. I don't suppose there is a way to set up a trigger from an event log entry?

Posted on
Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:47 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The DSC probably inserts that data into a state that you can trigger off of - but you'll have to check on their forum (it's a 3rd party plugin, not one of ours).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1