Installation instructions need more detail

Posted on
Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:38 am
wjlevin offline

Installation instructions need more detail

Hello:

I'm new at using plugins - so maybe that's my problem. I'm using Indigo 5.1.2. I double-clicked on the Cynical plugin 1.01 and ended up with a screen asking me to enter something for debug mode. I'm not sure what that is. I clicked save without entering anything and it refused it - a red sentence at the bottom told me to hover over something in red to tell me what's wrong. But there was nothing in red. I deselected degub mode and hit save - still the red sentence. I click cancel.

I double clicked on another copy of the plug-in and it told me that it was already installed - and, indeed, I see it in the plugin window.

I went to select configure ... but only saw the window with the debug information.

I'm now looking at this page: http://www.cynic.org/indigo/plugins/onl ... tml#server

I'm trying to configure things - particularly the Server - and I'm completely lost. I don't see how I can do this configuration.

Where am I going wrong?

Many thanks for this plugin - i'm sure it'll be great once I get it working.

Thanks

Wayne

Posted on
Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:33 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Installation instructions need more detail

Hi Wayne,

That first settings dialog that is shown is the plugin's setting dialog, but in this case it doesn't have any global settings except some options to turn on debug logging, so just ignore that dialog.

The plugin works by letting the user create new SecuritySpy plugin device types. See the Devices section of the plugin's web page you linked to. There are two different device types the plugin can create: 1 for each SecuritySpy server (you most likely just have one instance of SecuritySpy running), and then another device type that is used to create each camera.

So create a new Indigo Device, select Plugin from the Type popup, Cynical SecuritySpy from the Plugin popup, then select Server from the Model popup. A dialog will then be shown where you enter the SecurityServer host IP address, port, username, and password information.

Once that connects you can then create individual Devices for each SecuritySpy camera defined. To do that create a new Indigo Device, select Plugin from the Type popup, Cynical SecuritySpy from the Plugin popup, then select Camera from the Model popup. A dialog will then be shown where you select the SecuritySpy camera to be used for that device. You'll repeat this step (creating new Devices) for every SecuritySpy camera you have.

Note that the plugin also create a new Trigger type for Camera Motion, which will be selected similarly via creating a new Trigger and selecting the plugin type and Cynical SecuritySpy as the plugin. Likewise, it also defines new Actions that are available from the Actions panel when you select the plugin.

Posted on
Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:10 am
Geoffb offline

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the additional explanation of setting up Cynical Securityspy cameras... .like the previous poster, I too needed some additional information but think I am on the verge of getting it but something is still wrong. When you get a moment, hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

I followed your instructions for installing the Cynical PlugIn. I downloaded and installed it, then created a New Device, selected Plugin->Cynical SS->server->edit device settings. Then I opened my SS server set up window and obtained the IP address, which in my case was listed as 10.0.1.20 , I put those numbers in the HOST settings for configuring the Server Set up in INdigo, left the port as it was at 8000, put in the username and password from SS into the corresponding windows for Indigo and clicked save... IN Indigo Devices window, I see the server listed as a device but it reports it as unavailable.... so I can't go on to set up a Camera until I get the server set up correctly...any idea what I am doing wrong or haven't done yet? Do I need to do Port Forwarding for port 8000? I didn't set that up yet for SS and haven 't even tried to access SS from outside my home...thank for any assistance you can provide...
Geoff
Last edited by Geoffb on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:26 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Geoff,

I don't have SecuritySpy installed/running at the moment (hurrah for HD failures) but if I remember correctly you don't enter the IP address/port for the camera itself, but rather for the SS Web Server. Once you have the main SS device setup, the camera devices are easy to create -- you don't enter any IP address at all. The only IP address you enter is for the SS Web Server if I am remembering correctly, and you only enter that when creating the main SS device (not the individual camera devices).

Posted on
Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:29 am
Geoffb offline

You are QUICK!!! I was in the process of editing my posting as I had some incorrect information on it... when you get a moment to read the CORRECTED version, let me know if you see something else I did incorrectly..the editing was when I recognized that I needed to get the IP settings from the SS setup for the program, not one of the cameras, but as you can see, I am still befuddled ... thanks Matt.... always appreciated..

Geoff

Posted on
Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:39 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

For troubleshooting try totally turning off authentication on the SS server. Also, copy/paste the contents of the Event Log after you try adding both device types.

Posted on
Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:12 am
Geoffb offline

Dec 9, 2012 12:07:17 PM
Cynical SecuritySpy endIOMConfigUi server 1850173724
Cynical SecuritySpy startUi <class '__main__.Server'>
Cynical SecuritySpy getDeviceStateList <indigo.Device object at 0x62cffb0> server 1850173724
Cynical SecuritySpy getDisplayStateId <indigo.Device object at 0x62cffb0> server 1850173724

Dec 9, 2012 12:08:06 PM
Cynical SecuritySpy getIOMConfigUiXml server 1850173724
Cynical SecuritySpy getIOMConfigUiValues server 1850173724

Dec 9, 2012 12:08:55 PM
Cynical SecuritySpy endIOMConfigUi server 1850173724
Cynical SecuritySpy getDeviceStateList <indigo.Device object at 0x62cffb0> server 1850173724
Cynical SecuritySpy getDisplayStateId <indigo.Device object at 0x62cffb0> server 1850173724

Dec 9, 2012 12:09:43 PM
Cynical SecuritySpy getDeviceStateList <indigo.Device object at 0x62cffb0> camera 0
Cynical SecuritySpy getDisplayStateId <indigo.Device object at 0x62cffb0> camera 0
Cynical SecuritySpy getIOMConfigUiXml camera 0
Cynical SecuritySpy startUi <class '__main__.Camera'>
Cynical SecuritySpy getIOMConfigUiValues camera 0
Cynical SecuritySpy endIOMConfigUi camera 0
Cynical SecuritySpy getDeviceStateList <indigo.Device object at 0x62cffb0> camera 0
Cynical SecuritySpy getDisplayStateId <indigo.Device object at 0x62cffb0> camera 0

Dec 9, 2012 12:10:20 PM
Cynical SecuritySpy mapping device "camera" 512633002(camera)
Cynical SecuritySpy camera starting
Cynical SecuritySpy Error camera unavailable: host device camera Server is unavailable
Cynical SecuritySpy camera is now active

Not sure exactly how to turn off the authentication on SS server since I didn't see any option on the settings window for the SS server window .. I pasted the log above if you can make any sense of that....

Geoff

Posted on
Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:17 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Inside SS, uncheck the "password protected" checkbox in the SS server settings to turn off authentication.

Posted on
Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:18 pm
Geoffb offline

I did uncheck the password protection as you suggested but even before I did that, I noticed what appears to be changes in the log that suggest that maybe the camera IS working? Not sure if the log shows it is behaving as expected since it goes from passive to disconnected, to passive to active.... I realize how stupid this question is going to sound, at this point, but should I be able to see the cameras using Indigo?...

geoff

Received INSTEON "Kitchen Door " on (button 1)
Received INSTEON "Kitchen Door " off (button 1)
Cynical SecuritySpy camera is now passive
Cynical SecuritySpy camera is now disconnected
Cynical SecuritySpy camera Server is now ready
Received INSTEON "Motion detector 2" on (button 1)

Dec 9, 2012 12:17:18 PM
Received INSTEON "Motion detector 2" off (button 1)

Dec 9, 2012 12:19:25 PM

Dec 9, 2012 12:40:05 PM

Dec 9, 2012 12:41:09 PM

Dec 9, 2012 12:43:08 PM
Cynical SecuritySpy camera is now disconnected

Dec 9, 2012 1:07:13 PM

Posted on
Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:22 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The plugin doesn't provide for viewing of the cameras from within Indigo. It allows you to enable/disable the cameras and also trigger off of camera motion.

You can, however, view refreshing images from SecuritySpy on an Indigo Control Page (not related to the SS plugin though). See this forum thread for the details.

Posted on
Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:29 pm
Geoffb offline

Thanks Matt, I will continue to work on this but will have to set up some Control pages via the link you provided... last question: from the log, can you tell whether or not the camera IS working as it supposed to within Indigo? I promise I won 't bother you any more, until I do some more research, but thought if the camera is still not working properly, then I better get that straight before I work on the Control pages aspect... thanks

Geoff

Posted on
Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:54 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Looks like it is working to me.

Page 1 of 1