Errors but only over distance

Posted on
Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:42 am
pocster offline

Errors but only over distance

hey!

Checked the camera's locally (i.e. short j45) all; fine.

At only 40 and 50m I get

Cynical SecuritySpy Error Camera 2 8440,65 Error communicating with the network device "Network camera 1"
Cynical SecuritySpy Error Camera 1 70900,800 Error communicating with the network device "Network camera"

I thought ethernet cat5 was around 100m?. Anyway!; is the 'simple' solution just a cat 5 repeater/extender?

Cheers!

Posted on
Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:06 am
Perry The Cynic offline

Re: Errors but only over distance

pocster wrote:
hey!

Checked the camera's locally (i.e. short j45) all; fine.

At only 40 and 50m I get

Cynical SecuritySpy Error Camera 2 8440,65 Error communicating with the network device "Network camera 1"
Cynical SecuritySpy Error Camera 1 70900,800 Error communicating with the network device "Network camera"

I thought ethernet cat5 was around 100m?. Anyway!; is the 'simple' solution just a cat 5 repeater/extender?

Cheers!

These are errors from SecuritySpy, so your problem is in the SecuritySpy<->Camera link, not the Indigo<->SecuritySpy side.

Ethernet is nominally 102 meters, endpoint to endpoint. So 50 m is within spec, assuming your cable and plugs are in good shape. Ethernet cables are made to be abused, but they have formally specified limits to this abuse, particularly when it comes to bending. I've seen bad cables cause all kinds of mysterious "issues" with network connectivity. So my first recommendation would be to replace the cable and see if this fixes your problem. (Sometimes just re-seating the plugs will do the trick; but if that is so, you should probably replace the cable anyway.)

Ethernet cables are meant to be resistant to interference, but if you've routed yours parallel to a power line, you may want to move it away from that anyway. Another "borderline attraction" issue, that.

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Mon May 18, 2015 10:39 am
Turribeach offline

Re: Errors but only over distance

What wiring type are you using? In such length it's very important that you have the correct colours in the right pins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5 ... ent_length

Also what type of cable are you using?

Page 1 of 1