Cynical Network: Yamaha Receiver Status Question

Posted on
Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:24 pm
Krikee offline

Cynical Network: Yamaha Receiver Status Question

Hello,

I have been working through the trial period on Indigo and have reached the point now where I would like to attempt to view/receive status of my AV receiver. It is a Yamaha RX-V3800 connected to ITach IP2SL device. I am able to control the unit with the very well documented Serial codes from Yamaha with no issue. Its very reliable and accurate.

What I would like to be able to do is see the current status of a given function (Mute on or off for example). I have read through the examples on your site (good write ups by the way) but have not really been able to figure out how to write an expression that will test a string for the content being sent back by the receiver.

Most importantly I would like to know if there is a way to see what is being sent back by the receiver so I know what to test for in the expression. Is there a log or a "live" connection view where I can see traffic through the plugin/indigo?

Thanks for a great plugin.
GR

Posted on
Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:38 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Cynical Network: Yamaha Receiver Status Question

I'm gonna jump in here real quick and ask if you've looked at the Yamaha RX plugin? It may do everything you need with no need to parse anything yourself. Just a thought… :)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:21 am
Krikee offline

Thanks Jay for that Link. I had indeed looked at this plugin. As I understand it, the plugin is using the web interface of the RX-V3900 to communicate/control the system. Unfortunately, the 3800 does not include the web functionality.

This is the statement I found by the plugin designer that indicates this. (its several posts down on this link)
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7948&hilit=Yamaha+RX

Quote:
I have this guy:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-vi ... mode=model

It has both ethernet and RS-232. I connect to it via ethernet and the plugin I am working on is essentially a wrapper for the web interface...
End quote:

Posted on
Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:57 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Krikee wrote:
What I would like to be able to do is see the current status of a given function (Mute on or off for example). I have read through the examples on your site (good write ups by the way) but have not really been able to figure out how to write an expression that will test a string for the content being sent back by the receiver.

Assuming you know what your receiver says on the serial line to indicate (say) "mute is on" and "mute is off," it should be just a matter of creating Recognized Input triggers for that text and programming their actions. If you have trouble regulating the input stream, try a trigger for
Code: Select all
(.*)
(which means "anything" in regex-speak) and see if you get response.
Most importantly I would like to know if there is a way to see what is being sent back by the receiver so I know what to test for in the expression. Is there a log or a "live" connection view where I can see traffic through the plugin/indigo?

If you check the Debug checkbox in the plugin configuration, you should see a message for each received input line (as well as how it was routed). If you see nothing at all, your problem is likely with the line-ending configuration (i.e. your device sends something that doesn't look like a full line, so the plugin just keeps waiting for the line to end).

If you seem to be receiving nothing, try temporarily setting the Debug Modules: setting to asyn.scan, which will log all input and how it is parsed apart into lines. That will produce a lot of output though.

Did you look at the TiVO "worked example" in the documentation? It basically contains all the building blocks.

Cheers
-- perry

Posted on
Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:50 pm
Krikee offline

Thanks Perry,

I did go through the TIVO plugin example. Not being a code guru Im pretty much going in green on python and how to form a relevant/functioning expression. But like I said, I think once I know what to look for (what the receiver is sending back) I should be able to figure it out. The Async.scan option was something I had not seen before so I will give that a try along with the debug. I am at work now, but will post back any results once I get a window of opportunity to beat on it some more.

I appreciate the response.

Page 1 of 1