Serial Bridge beta posted

Posted on
Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:00 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Serial Bridge beta posted

I have had a few requests to publish this for download, so here is the first public beta of Serial Bridge (30 day free trial available):

http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/ser ... nload.html

Serial Bridge is a rapid development environment for using AppleScript to communicate with serial devices. Using Serial Bridge you can easily create AppleScript glue, called connection scripts, to communicate between serial-based hardware and scriptable applications (Indigo, iTunes, Weeder boards, serial Thermostats, etc.). Documentation on exactly what Serial Bridge is and how to use it are marginal at best, but I'll work on that. :-) Included in the download are a couple commented sample AppleScripts, including a sample connection script.

There are two ways to communicate with serial devices using Serial Bridge. You can use a stand-alone AppleScript to send commands to Serial Bridge, or you can use the attachment AppleScript (connection script). Every open serial port connection can have a connection script, which automatically runs as its own process. Serial Bridge automatically launches the connection script when a serial connection is opened, which happens on application launch, and automatically terminates it when Serial Bridge closes the connection (or quits). You can also force the connection script to quit and reload with a single button press.

All serial port settings are specified in the connection window (GUI), and automatically saved. This is useful since serial port names can change if your USB to serial adapter drops its connection (as seen when a USB hub loses power or the computer crashes). You won't have to modify your AppleScript when this happens -- just select the correct port name in the GUI.

Additionally, a log window is provided to help debug connection scripts and track data received and sent to the serial devices.

Let me know how the beta works for you. If you come up with any good connection scripts and would like to share them, then drop me an email. Pricing on Serial Bridge has not been determined yet.

Regards,
Matt

Page 1 of 1