Upcoming 3rd Party Plugins

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:43 pm
travisc offline

Re: Upcoming 3rd Party Plugins

jay wrote:
Any progress to report on the 1-wire plugin?

Hoping to get back on this soon. My real-job involves selling electronics to the Halloween industry so I'm working late hours these days. Between that and the fact that we just had a new baby a few months ago, free time is a little harder to come as of late.

I do intend to get back to this, I just can't say exactly when it will be. If someone else is eager to take the reigns then by all means, and I'll join in when I can. :)

Travis

Posted on
Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:36 pm
MrJeffreyGee offline

jenkins007 wrote:
Thanks. I will be glad to help on getting the RFX sensors working, let me know what I can do. I've been boning up on Python and could start working on tailoring for defining the RF message type or class.

Interesting, but I found this in my research... https://github.com/jamusj/OneWire

This is a java implementation to get one wire devices read into indigo from a couple of years ago. The source code is there with the author's permission for free use.

I tried the link above in the quoted text and I got a error while building the files in step 1. The error reads "recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.". Not really sure how to fix this.

Did anyone get this to work or has anyone got a working One-Wire temperature solution yet?

Posted on
Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:53 pm
jenkins007 offline

I believe that link is for code written in Java. Maybe it could help in porting over to Python.

I have been working on the RFX sensors which uses DS2438 and DS18B20 (1-wire) sensors. Having troubling on the steep learning curve. Had some help in defining the bit conversion part in receiving the data packets, but not too much past that. I will be happy to share what I've got.

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:15 pm
Bart offline

Has anyone made any progress on the 1-wire plugin?

Posted on
Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:32 pm
travisc offline

I've finished one based on DigiTemp. It requires a DS9097U adapter and can read temperature and humidity sensors. It's been polling 12 sensors I have spread around my house for almost a month, works great. It requires Indigo 5.0.3. Once that is released I will post it.

Compatable one wire devices are listed on the digitemp page:
http://www.digitemp.com/

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:19 am
Bart offline

travisc wrote:
I've finished one based on DigiTemp. It requires a DS9097U adapter and can read temperature and humidity sensors. It's been polling 12 sensors I have spread around my house for almost a month, works great. It requires Indigo 5.0.3. Once that is released I will post it.

Sounds awesome! Are you wiring it up around the house using RJ-11 wiring? Also, what are you using to measure humidity?

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:31 am
hamw offline

I looked up the devices and it seems some are unavailable. Any other ones that will work?

Posted on
Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:13 am
travisc offline

Bart wrote:
Sounds awesome! Are you wiring it up around the house using RJ-11 wiring? Also, what are you using to measure humidity?

I actually used the existing telephone wiring. My house was wired with CAT 3 and I only have one phone line, so there's 4 unused wires in there. I used them to create a house-wide 1-wire network for DS18B20 temperature sensors. I mounted the sensors to the wall plates of my phone jacks. At about $5 a pop, it's a really cheap and easy way to add accurate temperature measurement. I'll post a HOWTO of what I did soon after the plugin in posted.

The same trick of using existing wiring could also be used with CAT5 wiring, as long they are being used at 10 or 100Mb speeds. Those setups only use 2 pairs, so there's 2 unused. Gigabit ethernet however uses all four pairs.

I have a Honeywell humidity sensor here but I haven't set it up yet. I have to solder it to a DS2438 with a few other components, haven't had the time.

hamw wrote:
I looked up the devices and it seems some are unavailable. Any other ones that will work?

Unfortunately this plugin will only ever support the devices that DigiTemp supports. It's a nice wrapper around the DigiTemp binary, extending it to support additional devices would be impractical.

Posted on
Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:43 pm
Bart offline

travisc wrote:

Since your plugin requires a DS9097U adapter... does that mean it won't work with other adapter or will it work with any adapter compatible with DigiTemp? I'm also thinking about getting a LinkUSB since my old Mac doesn't have serial ports.

Posted on
Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:39 am
travisc offline

I can't say for sure if the LinkUSB will work. The way Digitemp is designed, it has to be compiled to support the adapter you are going to use. Right now I've compiled it to use the DS9097U adapter because it's very popular, and it's also what I have here. I could recompile Digitemp and include a second binary for the LinkUSB, but that doesn't guarantee it will work. I'm not sure if the LinkUSB support has been tested in OS X, that should probably be looked into before hand.

You can easily buy a USB-Serial adapter so you can use the DS9097U, that's what I use. I recommend adapters using the FTDI chipset, same as what's used in the Insteon PLCs so you may already have the driver.

Posted on
Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:43 am
Bart offline

travisc wrote:
I can't say for sure if the LinkUSB will work. The way Digitemp is designed, it has to be compiled to support the adapter you are going to use. Right now I've compiled it to use the DS9097U adapter because it's very popular, and it's also what I have here. I could recompile Digitemp and include a second binary for the LinkUSB, but that doesn't guarantee it will work. I'm not sure if the LinkUSB support has been tested in OS X, that should probably be looked into before hand.

You can easily buy a USB-Serial adapter so you can use the DS9097U, that's what I use. I recommend adapters using the FTDI chipset, same as what's used in the Insteon PLCs so you may already have the driver.

Oh, ok. Never thought about using an adapter. Are all USB-Serial Adapters equal or is there a particular one you recommend? Your plugin should work with any USB-Serial adapter, right? I'm assuming yes, but just wanted to make sure.

Posted on
Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:49 am
travisc offline

Yes, it should work with pretty much any Mac-compatible USB-Serial adapter. But some are better than others as far as Mac support is concerned. The specs should say what chipset it's based on. In my experience, FTDI is good, Prolific not so good.

Posted on
Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:34 pm
hamw offline

Travisc, what humidity sensors are you using?

Posted on
Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:19 am
travisc offline

I bought the two key parts to build one, an HIH-4021-004 Honeywell humidity sensor, and a DS2438 1-wire chip. My existing thermostat has one built in so I haven't been motivated enough to build mine yet. I believe there are pre-built sensors based on the same devices but I just bought the parts.

Posted on
Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:00 pm
finkej offline

I have been using a bunch of one wire devices (from hobby boards). I had been reading (and driving) them with the one wire file system (OWFS). Along with temp sensors, I was measuring current with some a/d interface stuff and driving some relay boards. I hope to move this from the old dell to the Mac and indigo..