How will the transition from I6 to I7 be?

Posted on
Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:41 pm
steinis offline

How will the transition from I6 to I7 be?

Wondering if I shall move from HomeSeer and try Indigo instead.

Have a couple of question:
-If i start with Indigo 6 how will the transition to Indigo 7 be regards plugins, actions, script etc. ?
-Maybe its better to wait for I7 to be released (When is that:P)?
-Indigo7#Sneak: How will the control page be?:)

Posted on
Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:25 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: How will the transition from I6 to I7 be?

I cannot answer all your questions, but presuming your Mac is running 10.7 or higher then the transition should be very smooth. The more scripts or plugins you use the more likely you might have to tweak something, but overall we are doing our best to not break any existing APIs or plugins.

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:34 pm
chase offline

I think today is the day v7 is released!

(I hope so)

(I really do)

:D

Posted on
Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:44 pm
durosity offline

chase wrote:
I think today is the day v7 is released!

(I hope so)

(I really do)

:D

Well earlier today I saw Santa and the Tooth Fairy attach wings onto a pig so it could fly... so perhaps ;)

Computer says no.

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:05 am
johnpolasek offline

I'd advise getting 6 up and running; as is, it's already an order of magnitude better than anything else out there and despite the teasers aboutV 7 being released "real soon now ( TBA)", the fact that they are also talking about the improvements coming in 6.1.11 makes me suspect it's not that close... I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be a "generational" product released by Matt and Jay's descendants sometime after 6.10.1000 for Mac OS 25...

Posted on
Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:43 am
durosity offline

johnpolasek wrote:
I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be a "generational" product released by Matt and Jay's descendants sometime after 6.10.1000 for Mac OS 25...

I almost snorted tea out of my nose when i read that.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:20 am
ckeyes888 offline

So sounds like 7 won't run under 10.6.8?

Thanks,

Carl

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:58 am
durosity offline

Yeah seems likely. I'd see that as reasonable though as 10.6 did ship in 2009.. 7 years ago.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:02 pm
ckeyes888 offline

I certainly get and support Indigo's need to move forward. Having to hack some support for 10.6
undoubtedly would cause compromise which I'm glad they aren't wasting any time on.

I just have a few features I really depend on that won't be possible past 10.6.8.

Carl

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:06 pm
durosity offline

What are they, out of interest?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:23 pm
ckeyes888 offline

For one I use an old Apple USB modem to capture caller ID that I process in Indigo to display
their image, who they are, when they called last etc.
I use Dialetic to access the modem and execute an AppleScript that sets Indigo variables on incoming calls.

I haven't looked into a replacement modem in awhile but last time I did I couldn't find anything
that would work above 10.6.8.

Carl

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:23 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I gave up on telephony when PhoneValet stopped shipping. It's a bit like X10 - too much work for very little benefit IMO.

Though it was cool having iTunes pause when the phone rang and start back up when I hung up... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:03 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I haven't looked into a replacement modem in awhile but last time I did I couldn't find anything

I log Caller ID into Indigo via Phone Amego and a US Robotics modem... I can give you more details if interested in pursuing the change (now or later).

Posted on
Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:39 am
howartp offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

I log Caller ID into Indigo via Phone Amego and a US Robotics modem... I can give you more details if interested in pursuing the change (now or later).

Yes please!

I spent most of last Saturday researching a whole new SOHO phone system after our old one fried in lightning storm; fortunately couldn't find a right combination and ordered £50 replacement card instead - only to discover it's not the system but our TrueCall call blocker that's fried.

Indigo was a key concept as part of the research though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:00 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I spent most of last Saturday researching a whole new SOHO phone system after our old one fried in lightning storm; fortunately couldn't find a right combination and ordered £50 replacement card instead - only to discover it's not the system but our TrueCall call blocker that's fried.

Hmm, your requirements may be more extensive than mine if you were looking for a full SOHO phone system; I use a VoIP line from my cable provider and connect an analog line (after the VoIP conversion) to a Zoom modem (I had said US Robotics before, but remembered that I had found this one cheaper). It is this one on Amazon.

Then on the Mac I run software called Phone Amego which can do a bunch of fancy things, but I just use it for the Caller ID. It can run a script upon a new call, which I use to pump the value into Indigo which, of course, launches some triggers.

On my control pages I show the last caller / number and allow a click to open a modal popup with the last 10 callers in history, which are just stored as variables.