Zigbee/wink Intergration

Posted on
Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:09 pm
ehuck offline

Zigbee/wink Intergration

My friend went out and bought a bunch of wink devices before talking to me about setting up our home automation system. I know they use the protocol zigbee. Is there any support for these?

Posted on
Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:51 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Zigbee/wink Intergration

Wink actually uses ZigBee and Z-Wave - so if the devices are Z-Wave there's a chance that they'll work with Indigo's Z-Wave implementation. Indigo doesn't natively support ZigBee, but at least one user has had some experience connecting to the Wink via scripts.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:57 pm
ehuck offline

Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:44 pm
dz1rfj offline

Hi,

2nd day testing this software. Forgive me if I missed this information in a the forums...

On Vera, someone wrote a WINK APP, a Plugin, that allowed me to use a wink to pair with 10 lutron caseta switches that use the CLEAR CONNECT protocol.

All my wink devices just appear on Vera....Now, I am leaving vera due to reliability issues of their firmware updates, but that is a whole other topic :(

Since vera Edge is neither zigbee, no Clear connect, this neat plugin somehow bridged the gap. Has anyone created an app for Indigo, or could they ?

Thanks for any information.

Thanks
-Brian

Posted on
Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:52 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Assuming Wink has a publicly available API, then certainly someone could build a plugin for Indigo. That's something we'd leave up to a 3rd party developer though.

See the link in my reply to the OP (second post).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:42 pm
dz1rfj offline

Thanks Jay - Fingers crossed someone is working on one.

Thanks
-Brian

Posted on
Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:45 pm
Devildog0331 offline

They do have a publicly available API but I'm not sure if anybody has tried to tackle this one yet. Would be nice to have though....

Link to the API: http://docs.winkapiv2.apiary.io/

Posted on
Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:05 am
Japple55 offline

I agree, Zigbee support would be a great addition to Indigo. Although I have a Wink hub still sitting in the box (due to lack of local control, except lights now), I'm using a Vera Edge with the Vera Plugin to control some non-supported devices. I've considered upgrading to the VeraPlus to get the Zigbee radio, but I know that as soon as I spend the $150 to do that, Indigo 7 will be released with Indigo support! :o

Jim

Posted on
Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:31 am
Different Computers offline

GE Link bulbs are Zigbee Wink devices can be connected to a Hue hub, and there's a Hue plugin that works GREAT. I have a lot of GE Link spotlights and bulbs all controlled with my Gen1 Hue hub.

The only downside I've experienced is that the Link bulbs constantly report "disconnected" for Indigo status updates, even though they respond to on/off/dim commands just fine. Not really a problem.

You can probably find a Gen1 Hue hub on eBay for <$20.

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:57 am
Japple55 offline

Thanks Dave, good to know. Unfortunately, in my case, I still need the Vera to support the Zwave Linear GDO and a future installation of locks. And, in trying to minimize the number of hubs, an upgrade to the Vera Plus would make more sense (except financially :( ).

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:14 am
dz1rfj offline

Jim,

If I can offer some advice on a VeraPlus purchase...There are very, very specific Zigbee items supported by VeraPlus. I bought one thinking it would open up smart things sensors, Control 4 connectivity, it did not. Not even a Hue bulb is native on the Vera Plus, a real disappointment...Hu bulbs still require a plugin on the Vera plus, same plugin I could have used on my vera Edge.

Thanks
-Brian

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:56 am
Japple55 offline

Wow, thanks for that info Brian. Hadn't even considered that, I just assumed... Guess I should go have a look at the plugins page again, and give this some more thought!

Jim

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:10 am
Different Computers offline

Why would you care about Hue control from a Vera, when there's an excellent Hue plugin for Indigo?

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:44 am
Japple55 offline

My response was more general in nature, not specific to the Vera/Hue info. I'm already using the awesome Hue plugin with Indigo; in fact, I don't even have any Hue bulbs. But some other Zigbee/Wifi devices may not be supported by the Plus. I only have a few anyway, leftovers from my SmartThings experience. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it required a plugin as long as it worked. But as a proponent of the KISS theory, I would MUCH prefer everything be native in V7. Jay, Matt...are you listening :wink:

Jim

Posted on
Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:14 am
johnpolasek offline

As I recall, Jay and Matt have said many times that they'd LOVE to have Z-wave locks in Indigo, but the lock makers want a leg and both arms (which would make it difficult to type) before they'll give up the encryption keys needed to access their products directly; not sure how Vera managed it under Z-wave, but even they've been frozen out of the Kwikset Kevos; that's apparently going to be Nest or nothing... Which is why I keep trying to somehow get an automated way to log into their web browser programmatically.