New house heating/cooling - need help

Posted on
Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:13 pm
Tac offline

Re: New house heating/cooling - need help

Fan speed. I could, but might miss the functionality. I may need the low speed for low noise and higher ones when quick heat up/cool down is required.

Maybe the best option would be to keep the original remote control and get Remotec IR Extender ZXT-120. Does it work in Indigo and does it act as a Z-wave relay when powered over the USB or DC jack?

Posted on
Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:48 pm
Tac offline

Got a suggestion to insert three relays with 2NC contacts between the Fibaros and the motor.

Thoughts?

Posted on
Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:07 am
johnpolasek offline

As I said IF you are willing to put it together and it will pass local electrical codes, this is a hardware failsafe that will keep the fan from burning out... but this scheme gives you no fan when two or more coils are energized with NC/NO type relays, such as http://www.schrack.com/shop/modular-contactor-20a-1no-1nc-230v-ac-bz326438.html you can have the fan come on with the most "restrictive (lowest numver) setting... (sorry about the crudity of the drawing; Visio and I do not get along with it's auto redraw and click to stop options).
Attachments
schematic1.png
schematic1.png (53.82 KiB) Viewed 2242 times

Posted on
Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:08 am
Tac offline

I see, got it, thank you! Is one of these schemes easier to implement in practice? Is there a reason for them not to pass electrical codes?

It is a bit more work, but seems simple enough to me. Don't know if the contractor will give me trouble, though, with honoring warranty with this setup instead of the original thermostat.

Posted on
Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:20 am
johnpolasek offline

The two schemes are essentially equal from the wiring difficulty and cost standpoint; it's just a question of whether you prefer no fan or slowest (or fastest if you swap 1 and 3) fan on programming error. And the point where you are likely to get into code trouble is that a lot of municipalities inspect and instantly reject anything not done by a licensed professional electrician (and sometimes fine the homeowner), irrespective of how well it's wired. And non sanctioned control wiring modifications may or may not void the warranty; direct wiring the Fibaros without some kind of safety interlock almost certainly would.

Posted on
Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:41 pm
Tac offline

This should be the final implementation: http://i.imgur.com/edoL9J7.png

Posted on
Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:48 pm
Tac offline

I went through several iterations. This is the latest one, much cheaper to implement:

Posted on
Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:32 am
johnpolasek offline

So if O2 on the left Fibaros is off, you want no fan power even if the Right Fibaros calls for it? Sorry, I misunderstood the original problem; As you have it wired, O2Left MUST be on to get the fan, with power going to EV1 if neither O1Right or O2Right on, but going to EV2 if O2Left AND O2Right are on and to EV3 if O2Left AND O1 RIght are on. Is that the the intended behavior?

Posted on
Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:19 am
Tac offline

My only concern was avoiding more than one O from Fibaro going to the fan to be ON at the same time since the only solution I had was wiring them directly to their specific fan input. By using additional relay switches I no longer have to worry about more than one fan output from Fibaro being active at the same time and can therefore use any combination of active outputs to achieve the desired effect. This version gives me the desired functionality (fan speed selection) and safety (impossible to give power to more than one fan input) with the least amount and cost of additional hardware.

I would once again like to thank you all for helping me to solve this! I should have single fan coil per room control covered with this. I might have additional questions, especially if more than one fan coil needs to be controlled from one pair of Fibaros, but I'll need to get more details on that from my contractors first. Also a final sanity check in the end regarding the implementation of a single thermostat to control both the floor heating and fan coil.