Alternative to Smarthome for Insteon stuff?

Forum rules

No spam or trolling allowed -- please keep topics and posts respectful.

Posted on
Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:15 pm
chrisfromthelc offline

Alternative to Smarthome for Insteon stuff?

I ordered from Smarthome for the first (and now last) time. It was a huge mistake.

I am in the middle of a remodel project, which includes buying some home automation gear. I purchased something from Smarthome.com, and on most items, they claim to “ship same day”. The price was good enough that I didn’t mind paying for 2 Day shipping; I wanted it for this weekend so I could install it. I wasn’t really worried about any issues with them since they *seemed* to be a reputable company.

When I didn’t receive a tracking number by the next morning, I emailed customer service:

It’s now the next day, and I have yet to receive any communication or shipping notification. Seeing how I paid $20 for express shipping, I’ve determined that it was wasted money since I won’t receive the item in time, and will have to attempt to find one locally or use Z-Wave locks for my project instead.

This is my first, and possibly, last purchase from your company, depending on how this situation is handled. I hope this can be taken care of so that I don’t need to cancel my order, but the ball is in your court.

I got a reply about 2 hours later:

You can tracking this order on Fedex.com with tracking XXXXXXXXXX

Um,…okay. So, you shipped my order late, and didn’t at least comp the extra for overnight shipping? I’ve spent over $300 ordering from you, not including the $20 for 2-Day shipping, but that extra $10 to make a customer not hate you must be worth it.

I responded with this:

It wasn’t shipped out the day that I placed the order (as it says it will in bright green type next to the item), so please cancel and refund the order. It’s of zero use to me on Monday. Had it shipped yesterday as your site said it would, it would be here Friday.

That was around 2PM Pacific Thursday. They finally agreed to refund me around 11AM Pacific on Friday, but not after I had to turn on “giant jerk” mode to get them to pay for return shipping.

Also, every email response to them is followed by the usual “We got your email, but don’t respond to this”. Why? If you send a customer an email, no matter what it is, someone should be listening on the other side.

A simple $10 investment would have netted them hundreds of dollars over the next year, but now, I’ll just use their competitor (Amazon, mainly). By my estimations, they'll have lost around $200 on this interaction (sunk employee time, mostly) by the time return shipping is factored in.

Am I just lucky, or are they always this crappy to customers? I had to get downright evil with them to get them to pay for return shipping for *their* screwup.

The thing that makes me the most mad about this is not once did they ever say "We're sorry this is happening". Even if it were 100% my fault, empathy goes a long way towards fixing the situation. I work in customer service for a very well-known tech company (not Amazon, btw), and everything that you could do wrong pretty much happened here.

Posted on
Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:17 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Alternative to Smarthome for Insteon stuff?

I'd say most people's first choice, at least those that have tried him, is to use Norm with the Indigo Store. I've ordered a couple of times and been nothing but pleased. He even personally called one time before shipment because some of the info looked like it might be in error and wanted to confirm to head off a problem BEFORE it happened.

After having experienced that I wish my first INSTEON order, which was large, was from him instead of SmartHome. I haven't had your bad customer service experience with SmartHome, but have had delays and late arrivals (luckily none were at a critical time...)

Adam

Posted on
Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:26 pm
kw123 offline

I would like to support Adams statement
Norm delivers 100% satisfaction. They don't have everything but what they have works
Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:40 pm
ckeyes888 offline

+1 on using Norm. Always awesome.

Carl

Posted on
Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:25 pm
chrisfromthelc offline

The Indigo store was my first choice, but one of the things I wanted was out of stock.

Definitely a lesson learned, for sure!

Posted on
Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:52 pm
chrisfromthelc offline

Just a little update on this.

I returned the item, and it only took them 7 days (once they received it back) to partially refund me. They had the gall to not refund shipping on what was clearly their screw-up. I emailed them, but haven't gotten a response as to why they shorted my refund, so I've started a Paypal dispute.

I'll never, ever buy from Smarthome again. I'll figure out another way versus giving those idiots another dime.

Page 1 of 1