Serve up a dynamic web page for guests with no login

Posted on
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:40 pm
mundmc offline

I built a bar in my garage, because I am in my 40s and I now hide from my children in my garage the same way I used to hide from my parents when in my teens.

The point is, I want the neighbors to know when it’s open for entertaining. I will be designing something I can to a “bat signal” in a separate thread.

In the meantime, I want to be able to give friends a website that they can check that lets them know whether there is a party going on. I might even have snapshots or currently playing music. I want them to be able to access this without having access to the rest of my HA.

Plausible solutions:
1. Use python to write a php or html page in the indigo/public folder
2. Uh, um, maybe there’s a way to script copying a control page to the public folder?
3. “I like turtles!”

Thoughts?

Posted on
Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:58 am
mat offline

Re: Serve up a dynamic web page for guests with no login

Add subscribed text alerts, and make the bat signal massive!

PS Saw my first turtle in the wild in February, loved it ;)

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:52 am
FlyingDiver offline

Doing a web page is possible, but don't forget that if you want it hosted on your Indigo server you'll need to port forward from your router and set up a DDNS entry as well.

Do you already have a public website somewhere? If so, the easiest way to do it is to make a pair of HTML files that change the status on that page to open/closed, and then use FTP to push the current page up to the server.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:22 am
mundmc offline

mat wrote:
Add subscribed text alerts, and make the bat signal massive!

PS Saw my first turtle in the wild in February, loved it ;)

In time, in time :)

Oh, the turtles reference was my self-depreciating comparison of my general web-server know-how to this kid: https://youtu.be/CMNry4PE93Y

Posted on
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:32 am
mundmc offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
Doing a web page is possible, but don't forget that if you want it hosted on your Indigo server you'll need to port forward from your router and set up a DDNS entry as well.

Do you already have a public website somewhere? If so, the easiest way to do it is to make a pair of HTML files that change the status on that page to open/closed, and then use FTP to push the current page up to the server.

Thanks for the reply-
I already have a registered domain and 8176 port-forwarding on, so the access to the public folder should be easy (hence my investigating that first).

I haven’t spun up a web server since 2012, and it was brief at that time to play with php. If that is a better idea, I can do that on my host mac, or on my NAS (Synology DS918+). The main limitation here is putting any dynamic info on the pages (e.g. now-playing, number of people, photos of the party, estimated closing time).

I guess there’s no way to copy an indigo control page to the public folder? At least that would save me having to re-learn web design.

I really suspect there’s an easy kludge for such a limited scope. I’ll look again at some posts i saw for limited-access users.

Posted on
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:54 pm
mat offline

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:58 pm
virgahyatt offline

Easiest way would be to setup Mac OS Server and use the web server there. It will auto create a landing page that you can edit to display what you want.

Posted on
Sat May 07, 2022 11:07 am
ryanbuckner offline

@mundmc, what did you wind up doing for this ?

Posted on
Sat May 07, 2022 8:53 pm
jltnol offline

FWIW, it would be nice if Indigo allowed access to Control Pages w/o a login. Not sure how hard it would be for that to happen, but it would be nice to be able to use a webpage in Social Media sometimes. I'm sure I can manage the routing and port forwarding to make it happen... but I'm still stuck with everyone needing a login.

Posted on
Sun May 08, 2022 1:05 pm
mundmc offline

Wow- reading this thread i didn’t realize i started it!
I never got back to this one of dozens of projects, but am curious about it still.

Posted on
Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:53 am
mundmc offline

For perpetuity, I finally figured this out. I wrote a Python script in indigo to update the contents of a file "isParty.txt" to true or false.

JavaScript checks the contents of that file and changes the HTML as a result. It's simple, but it's a start.

HTML:
Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
    <title>Party Status</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="styles.css">
</head>
<body>
    <h1 id="partyStatus">Checking party status...</h1>
    <script src="script.js"></script>
</body>
</html>

Javascript:
Code: Select all
function updatePartyStatus() {
    fetch('isParty.txt')
        .then(response => response.text())
        .then(data => {
            var statusElement = document.getElementById('partyStatus');

if (data.trim() === 'true') {
                statusElement.textContent = 'A party is happening!';
                statusElement.style.color = '#2ecc71'; // green for party
            } else if (data.trim() === 'false') {
                statusElement.textContent = 'A party is not happening.';
                statusElement.style.color = '#e74c3c'; // red for no party
            } else {
                statusElement.textContent = 'No status found.';
                statusElement.style.color = '#333'; // default color
            }
        })
        .catch(error => {
            console.error('Error:', error);
        });
}

// Update the status every second
setInterval(updatePartyStatus, 1000);

Have I mentioned that ChatGPT 4is really helpful? It took a couple goes for me to push it to understand what I wanted to do.

Posted on
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:07 am
Different Computers offline

This looks like an excellent templat e doing all sorts of interesting things with an indigo script generated HTML page. Thanks! Going to play with this today.

Sonoma on a Mac Mini M1 running Airfoil Pro, Bond Home, Camect, Roku Network Remote, Hue Lights, DomoPad, Adapters, Home Assistant Agent, HomeKitLinkSiri, EPS Smart Dimmer, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Grafana. UnifiAP

Posted on
Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:10 am
mundmc offline

Wow- hi praise, I appreciate it! Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this is completely a security nightmare that might be giving Matt and Jay chest pains, but as long as it's used for simple data reporting, I think it's pretty safe.

Posted on
Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:46 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

mundmc wrote:
Wow- hi praise, I appreciate it! Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this is completely a security nightmare that might be giving Matt and Jay chest pains, but as long as it's used for simple data reporting, I think it's pretty safe.

Note: plugins can also serve up web content which would be protected by the built-in authentication. Check out the Example HTTP Responder plugin in the Plugin SDK for a great starting point. It's really pretty simple as a starting point.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:19 pm
DaveL17 offline

jay (support) wrote:
Note: plugins can also serve up web content which would be protected by the built-in authentication. Check out the Example HTTP Responder plugin in the Plugin SDK for a great starting point. It's really pretty simple as a starting point.

For example, I've written a plugin that serves up dynamic content using Indigo's built-in web server via a single page application (SPA). It's written in JavaScript and I use it to interact with Indigo from desktop and mobile. It's a work in progress. I know there are others that are working on similar things.

I don't bring this up to show off, but to highlight the capabilities of the awesome Indigo Web Server which can handle some pretty cool stuff.

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 8.11.43 PM-2.png
Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 8.11.43 PM-2.png (327.44 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]