Securing glass windows/ doors

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:49 pm
yassi offline

I'm about to put some door/ windows sensors to the doors showing to our terrace (in total three doors + five windows).

My question: how are you guys securing this?
I mean, it's ok to put the door/ windows sensors but they will trigger only by opening the door.
What about if the glass window is being crushed/ breaked/ smashed and the "bad guys" aren't trying to open the door but to enter thru the hole where the glass was?

Well, one will say: vibration sensors. But are any of them in the wild apart of the multisensors (like the Fibaro, Aeotec ones)?
I've tried to put such a multisensor showing towards to the terrace (also for motion sensing) but I had a lot of "false alarms" because of the light rays, cats running by night, and whatever. :roll:

I would be interested to know what do you suggest?

Thanks a lot!
Yassi

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:40 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Securing glass windows/ doors

I know there are such things as glass break sensors, but I don't know of any that work directly with any of the technologies that Indigo supports. Maybe via an Alarm Panel?

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to a more appropriate forum.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:17 pm
jalves offline

Many home alarm systems use a glass break sensor for just this kind of attack. I have one in my house and I'm guessing that if I had my alarm panel connected to Indigo I could activate things based on it. I believe mine is a z-wave device, but don't know for sure. Even if it is, I don't know if Indigo supports it.

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:03 pm
andarv offline

There are glass break sensors (wired) that you could connect to fibaros universal sensor, either acoustic or vibration. But is it worth it?
Where I live Modus Operandi would be to smash the glass, open window/door and enter. The risk of injuries and all that...

http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-vision- ... ensor-gen5
Not that attraktive to look at, used one for testing with HC2

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Posted on
Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:40 am
yassi offline

Thanks for your feedback!

I've found the same Vision sensor andarv found, but they are not cheap...
Plus the door/ windows sensors in case the door are being opened...
Hmmm...

Have to look for another solution, because I don't have yet an alarm system - want to do this only with Indigo.

What do you think about a vibration sensor placed in the proximity of these windows? Will it detect the vibration of broken glass?

@Jay: thanks for moving this to the right forum!

Yassi

UPDATE: Or maybe something wit Karl's Arduino/ PiBeacon plugin and piezo sensors?

Page 1 of 1