Bluetooth Speaker

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:37 am
MarcoGT offline

Bluetooth Speaker

Hi all,

my flat is not that big (80sm + garden) but from where is located the MacMini (where Indigo is running) it is hard to hear the "speak annoucements).

Would it be enough a simple bluetooth speaker connected to the MacMini?
Of course I have to try if the MacMini Bluetooth is visible from the second location :)

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:49 am
Vangelis offline

Re: Bluetooth Speaker

Hey MarcoGT...

I did have a play with a BT speaker (before I got SONOS) and could not get it to work very well with my MacMini (ended up in the land of installing lots of BT drivers). Have you thought of using AirFoil?

Vangelis

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:15 am
MarcoGT offline

Yes, I thought about AirFoil but:

- I only have an AppleTV (3rd generation)
    - I do not plan to buy an home theather system
    - Apple TV is connected to TV via HDMI and is everything normally off (controlled via Fibaro Wall Plug)

How can I use my Apple TV?

Thanks
Marco

Posted on
Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:20 am
Vangelis offline

....you can't (that I know of, in your situation, due to the hardware being powered down)

Could by a 2nd hand AirPort express (3.5mm audio out), or run some cabling from the mac audio out.

Have a play with BT, you might be successful. Pick up a cheapo BT speaker with Line-In and if the BT part doesn't work then you can use it as an amplified audio output from the Mac

Vangelis

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:16 am
MarcoGT offline

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:38 am
Vangelis offline

I am not an Airfoil users but this link talks about setting it up ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osPNW6UZses

Suspicion is you will need a powered speaker from the AE audio output

Vangelis

Posted on
Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:42 am
MarcoGT offline

Yes, of course, or speaker with power cord available :)
I have power plugs where they will be placed :)

Thanks again :)

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2015 12:41 am
MarcoGT offline

Back again on this topic.
I am afraid that my AirportExpress (1st gen, I do not know if g-standard or n-standard) can be connected as "client" to my Wi-Fi router.
I need the AirportExpress only to connect cheap speaker and send audio with iTunes :(

Or I have too look for WiFi speaker (Sonos is too expensive for my purpose).

Posted on
Sun May 10, 2015 1:48 pm
howartp offline

I'll check but I'm sure my AE's are only 1st gen, bought specifically for this purpose and working great!

Posted on
Sun May 10, 2015 1:52 pm
howartp offline

Ah, just realised I can check from here via App - unfortunately they're 2nd gen.

There's some on German eBay for < €50 (and even < €20), but I don't speak German so can't confirm if they're 1st or 2nd gen.

Posted on
Wed May 20, 2015 5:35 pm
noefresh offline

this might do the trick in certain applications: http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Wireles ... io-Adapter

Posted on
Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:36 pm
MarcoGT offline

I ended up modifying my setup
Now AppleTV is directly connected to power source (not to Fibaro Wall Plug) so power is always ON.
I bought cheap speaker + digital/analog converted so I am able to connect speaker to AppleTV.
I am waiting from Amazon :)

I will give it a try in this weekend :)

Posted on
Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:23 am
virgahyatt offline

MarcoGT wrote:
I ended up modifying my setup
Now AppleTV is directly connected to power source (not to Fibaro Wall Plug) so power is always ON.
I bought cheap speaker + digital/analog converted so I am able to connect speaker to AppleTV.
I am waiting from Amazon :)

I will give it a try in this weekend :)

If you connect a speaker to the Apple TV, then that will most likely get used when you are trying to watch tv. So may want to be careful with that. As for the Airport Express, regardless whether it's 1st or 2nd gen, it should be able to connect to your network. What are you using for your primary router?

Posted on
Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:34 pm
MarcoGT offline

Bluetooth Speaker

Maybe you are right with the TV but I think TV sends audio to Apple TV only with the respective output is selected (HDMI3 in my case, for example on HDMI1 I have the sat receiver)
I am using a Fritzbox

Posted on
Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:35 am
krissh offline

Hi

I have 3 airplay speakers setup and it works well with the Airfoil plugin in Indigo.

But I wanted to connect one additional bluetooth speaker as Airfoil now supprts bluetooth.

As soon as I connect the bluetooth speaker to Mac mini it shows up in Airplay as expected, but the Indigo Airfoil plugin gives this error in the event log every second, and stops working:
Code: Select all
Airfoil Error                   Update failed. Check to see if Airfoil is functioning correctly and that there is only a single copy of the application on your hard drive.

Any ideas?