CHECK OUT the NEST Home Plugin (Chameleon)

Posted on
Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:26 am
Chameleon offline

CHECK OUT the NEST Home Plugin (Chameleon)

Beta release of new NEST plugin - Moved to http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=170

Chameleon

With the recent release of Indigo 6.1 we've been able to get access to python 2.6. This is great news as it means that it's possible to develop plugins for secure sites (https) without getting the dreaded "vSSL23 Handshake error.

So with this new access I've developed a NEST plugin to manage both Nest Thermostats and Nest Protects from the same plugin using direct access through the Nest public API. This means that I'll be releasing an Alpha solution within the next week or so and I was looking for some Alpha testers who could help me get it ready for the wild. I've been testing version 0.01 for a couple of weeks now and it seems stable enough for an Alpha release but I know that there are many different NEST configurations out there which I can't replicate at home. I also know that a general release will generate a whole pile of questions and requests and I'd rather start with a small group to speed things up. Actually I've been able to do a bit more testing than I originally thought because Google released a Nest Developer plugin for Chrome that allows you to set up a virtual configuration of Thermostats and Protects to test against. You can find this app on the Mac App Store. I've also been able to keep the code to standard python 2.6 libraries to minimise any set up required.

The plugin gives access to both of the NEST device APIs and includes these data fields:

Nest Thermostat (those in bold are read & write)
- device_id
- locale
- software_version
- name
- name_long
- last_connection
- is_online
- can_cool
- can_heat
- has_fan
- fan_timer_active
- fan_timer_timeout
- has_leaf
- temperature_scale
- target_temperature_f
- target_temperature_c
- target_temperature_high_f
- target_temperature_high_c
- target_temperature_low_f
- target_temperature_low_c
- away_temperature_high_f
- away_temperature_high_c
- away_temperature_low_f
- away_temperature_low_c
- ambient_temperature_f
- ambient_temperature_c
- hvac_mode
- away
- country_code
- postal_code
- time_zone

Nest Protect
- device_id
- locale
- software_version
- name
- name_long
- last_connection
- is_online
- battery_health
- co_alarm_state
- smoke_alarm_state
- is_manual_test_active
- last_manual_test_time
- ui_colour_state

Because the plugin uses the Nest API you'll need to register as a Nest Developer to get an API authorisation token but I'll explain the process to anyone who's using the plugin - it's free and it's not that difficult. I looked at ways of doing this but decided that this registration approach was a) simpler and b) more secure as you're not sharing your Nest Username or ID over the internet.

As a developer I'm a python noob although I worked on many other development languages in the past. I'm fully expecting our community to come up with lots of improvement & ideas for the actual coding. I've made sure that the code is fully documented internally and any python person should be able to see how it all works. I will release the solution onto GitHub once we're past the beta stage but until now I'll be sharing the plugin using dropbox to keep it under control.

Thanks to Matt & Jay for their support and others on the forum for helping me get to this stage.

Respond to this post if you'd like to join the Alpha testing group and I'll work with a smallish team to get it ready for wider adoption.

Mike
Last edited by Chameleon on Tue May 05, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted on
Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:57 am
autolog offline

Re: NEST Plugin Development - need Alpha Testers

Hi Mike,

That sounds great. :D

I would like to join in and help alpha test - I have 6 Nest protects but no thermostat.
I also have experience of writing plugins, if that helps in anyway.

Thanks for considering :)

Posted on
Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:08 am
Chameleon offline

Sounds great Jon - that's a good testing scenario. I'll let you know when it's ready.

Posted on
Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:33 am
Parp offline

Hi,

I have only one Nest thermostat, which might be useful as a sort of control group for testing. One of my primary interests is fan control.

I'm very excited to get Nest working again with Indigo, so thank you in advance for your work on this!

Thanks!

Posted on
Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:37 am
DU Lou offline

Hi Mike, I am interested as well. I have 1 Gen 1 thermostat and 3 hard wired protects with battery backup. I also have zero experience writing plugins but would be able to provide feedback. Thanks for the consideration.
~Lou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:40 am
SpencerJRoberts offline

I would definitely like to help out and try the plugin out! I have no thermostats but 2 Protects. Thanks for your contribution Mike!

Posted on
Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:09 pm
Chameleon offline

Thanks all. As for managing the fan - I know that one of the few variables that are writable is fan_timer_active which controls if the fan timer is running so it might be possible to manage the fan - certainly the Nest Developer on Google seems to think so :)

Posted on
Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:58 pm
freshwuzhere offline

NEST Plugin Development - need Alpha Testers

I be interested in helping! I already have developer status, 8 Nests thermostats in one house and one in a second house. Great project I've been thinking/dreaming about but not enough time. Thanks!

Posted on
Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:24 am
Chameleon offline

Thanks to all of you. I think that you've got a great diversity and combinations. I've got a couple of NEST Thermostats and a couple of Protects that I'd really like to get integrated into the Indigo system. Also I think that a great system like Indigo should have a functional NEST plugin. Time I suspect will be an issue for all of us but with the public API it's not that difficult to get the information - it's more making sure the plugin is robust in a wider range of circumstances is key. I'm thinking of completing testing this week with a view to releasing an Alpha after the weekend. Thanks again.

Mike

Posted on
Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:51 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Great to see progress being made!

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to the user contributions forum.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:51 pm
mabrown offline

Cool count me in, 3 Nest thermostats & 4 protects.

Posted on
Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:20 pm
philipbasile offline

Awesome Finally !

I have 2x gen 2 nest stats and would love to alpha test. Please count me in !

thanks

philip

Posted on
Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:27 am
Chameleon offline

NEST Indigo Interface v 0.0.1.png
Simplified version of data flow for NEST Interface
NEST Indigo Interface v 0.0.1.png (127.83 KiB) Viewed 5742 times

Just a quick diagram attached of what we're going to be testing. If you want to start by preparing the developer ID and getting NEST Development App. You'll find that this page gives you all the information you need to prepare [url](https://developer.nest.com/documentatio ... uick-guide[/url]). Specifically you're aiming to get a unique authorisation key for your test set up. I'd advise you to start with a 'virtual' set up that matches yours because you can test with causing any other issues :)

One additional field that I missed is fan_timer_active which has write access. Not sure if this means you can switch on the fan but it will be worth testing.

BTW - We're going to have to come up with a name for the plugin - any ideas?

Posted on
Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:23 am
DU Lou offline

RE: New plugin name. How about something like "Nest Twenty Six" as an homage to taking advantage of the new Python? Or "Nest Home" in reference to the multiple device types now able to be managed by the plugin? Too cheesy??? :)

~Lou

Posted on
Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:31 am
autolog offline

Chameleon wrote:
... BTW - We're going to have to come up with a name for the plugin - any ideas?

How about 'Chameleon Nest Controller' or 'Chameleon Nest' :?:

Having Chameleon at the front of the name will allow you to group all your future plugins together with this one :wink: