NEST Plugin trial and tribulations

Posted on
Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:33 pm
hwitten offline

NEST Plugin trial and tribulations

After the Plugin reload the errors re-appeared and INDIGO was kept abreast of status.
Several hours later the errors ceased and so did INDIGO updating of NEST status.

Manual request of status did not cause any error in log.

I'm going to do a 15 minute schedule for status request for now.

Hopefully the NEST support will not go away.
Sure, expensive but also kinda cool and with INDIGO it's even better.

I don't have everything implemented yet.
Unless the plugin is updated to report 2nd stage heat mode is on I'll go back to original thought of using MIMOLight to trigger, along with an AC-->DC conversion to feed input signal of MIMOLite.
Plan to do similar for cooling via portable AC in summer.

All in all, it's been fun getting the NEST online and into INDIGO.

Posted on
Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:35 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: NEST Plugin trial and tribulations

I really hope Google opens up the API for the Nest. We filled out the form months ago and haven't heard anything, and there have been no updates anywhere from what I can tell.

Posted on
Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:25 pm
hwitten offline

Fingers and toes crossed.... :)

I have to admit that I did not think I'd be a NEST convert because of cost but after using a CT-30, which I replaced with the NEST, I'm converted.

Occasionally I would want to manually change the CT-30 in the middle of the night and between being half asleep and not doing the task very often it was always a challenge resulting in ending up more awake than desired.

With the NEST it's simply a turn of the dial, like it used to be in the old days with a manual thermostat.

I also like the immediate feedback as to status when I get close to it.
I don't expect it to save on my heating bill but I like it anyways. It's a keeper.

The CT-30 has now been demoted to the garage.

I also have several NEST Protects to enhance smoke detection past the required minimum building code.
I sure hope Google doesn't screw it up.

Posted on
Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:17 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

LOL - yep, we've found the RTCoA thermostats are really quite unreliable. The Trane Z-Wave thermostat seems quite stable, and despite some user's bad experiences, I've only had one issue (several years ago) with my Venstars with the INSTEON adaptor. None look as good as the Nest of course but I'm much happier with one that has a known/published API.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:19 pm
ChipG offline

Regarding selection of Thermostats and related motion detectors/fire alarms:
I live a few thousand yards from Nest's headquarters; and maybe
a little more aware and pragmatic about vendor intentions.

Do you really want the data from one of your Nest motion detectors/fire alarms
going to Google's servers along with all your other habits?
Less subtle: Would like to see ads on your web browser based on
the activity level, time of date, etc. in your bedroom? Youtube videos
based on your bedroom time? The possibilities are endless.

Be thoughtful before you let that in your house.

Google+Nest is almost a great ad (pardon the pun) for Indigo and related captive devices as a controllable solution.

(Not a Luddite; I have tons of Insteon, cameras, music and whatever connected. But the data doesn't leave the house
unless I wish.)

Posted on
Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:08 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm totally with you on this. There were a lot of reasons GOOG bought Nest, and I doubt the main one was for data collection. But it's certainly got to factor in. And if you parse the response that Fadell used when addressing this fear, it does not preclude sharing this data since Nest is now part of GOOG and his answer was that they would only do what's good for the company or some such.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:02 pm
hwitten offline

I'm not really too concerned about Google knowing how warm I keep my house, etc.
Any advertising they send based on that will simply go where all the spam crap goes. Just because they send ads doesn't mean I have to buy.
Heck, if I were to buy everything Amazon sends out...... :)

I like the Nest so will continue to use it.

There is so much data already being collected, a bit more won't cause me to loose any sleep. Matter of fact, I'm sleeping more comfortably thanks to the Nest without spending extra money for unnecessary pre-heating.

The only way to really keep your data safe is to isolate yourself completely and never get on the Internet or make use of todays toys.
To each his/her own but for me that would be no fun at all.

Anyhoo.... I have the Nest plugin running without errors, for a single Nest.
It seems the plugin was never fully completed/tested for multiple Nest thermostats?
Is anyone using multiple Nests?

I'm still playing around, adding a property that sets frequency of updates. The default was too often for me, I.e. unnecessary at every 10 seconds.

Not sure if anyone is interested in the fixes and if there is interest how best to distribute my version.
I've just been updating plugin.py directly.
Still learning.

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not concerned about temp settings - alone. I'm more concerned about the other sensors like motion and the ability for GOOG to infer occupancy and other things. I'm fine with something that I have full control over knowing that, but I don't want that information stored in someone else's computers where it can be accessed for any reason (nefarious or not). For me, it's about my ability to control what's known about me and my family in my own home.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:50 pm
Bollar offline

hwitten wrote:
Not sure if anyone is interested in the fixes and if there is interest how best to distribute my version.
I've just been updating plugin.py directly.
Still learning.

I'm certainly curious to see what you've done. I have had looking at that plugin on my list for a long time. The existing version works most of the time for me, but there are a few things that I'd like to see fixed / fix myself.

Insteon / Z-Wave / Bryant Evolution Connex /Tesla / Roomba / Elk M1 / SiteSage / Enphase Enlighten / NOAA Alerts

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:06 pm
hwitten offline

Just tidying it up a bit.
Calling it Nest Thermostat 2nd Gen. so that it can co-exist with existing and the Nest I'm using is the 2nd Gen.

Added a property for time interval to check Nest.com
Added status for Pre-Heat and Heat2 (W2).

I Plan to use Heat2 to control Electric Heater and Pre-Heat just as a confirmation it turned on.

If you want to try it pm me.
BIG CAVEAT: This is my first time exploring a plugin. Use at your own risk though happy to say that I did not have any ill effects during 'playtime' and it is currently running with displaying any errors.

Posted on
Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:15 pm
DaveL17 offline

If I might be so bold, please consider whether it would be possible to include a TARGET HUMIDITY parameter.

One of the big draws of the Nest for me was the ability to integrate the whole-home humidifier. If the plugin were to have this capability, I could script out automatic control of the target humidity level based on outdoor temperature ranges.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:43 pm
hwitten offline

DaveL17 wrote:
If I might be so bold, please consider whether it would be possible to include a TARGET HUMIDITY.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow but should be doable.
Wasted a lot of time today trying to turn on pre-heat via plugin. Was trying to override the 2 hour max the Nest uses. 2 hours not quite enough in my neck of the woods.

Posted on
Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:58 pm
DaveL17 offline

hwitten wrote:
I'll take a closer look tomorrow but should be doable.
Wasted a lot of time today trying to turn on pre-heat via plugin. Was trying to override the 2 hour max the Nest uses. 2 hours not quite enough in my neck of the woods.

That would be terrific, thanks!

I thought about this a bit since posting, and the part of the Nest that handles the humidifier (the [*] connector) can also be used for other things.

The Nest Website wrote:
Important note: [Stage 3 Heating, Emergency Heat, Whole-Home Humidification, Whole-Home Dehumidification] The Nest Thermostat [*] connector can only support one of these functions. As an example, if you have emergency heat and whole-home humidification, you’ll need to select one in order for your system to be compatible with the Nest Thermostat (in this case, we’d suggest humidification, as the Nest Thermostat does the equivalent of emergency heat differently, without wires).

When you put a wire in the [*] connector, the Nest Thermostat will ask which of the above functions the wire supports. What we ask depends on what type of system you have.

If you have a conventional system, the Nest Thermostat will ask you if the wire in the [*] connector controls humidification, dehumidification, or stage 3 heating. If you have a heat pump or dual fuel system, the Nest Thermostat will ask you if the wire in the [*] connector controls humidification, dehumidification, or emergency heat.

So this might be a non-trivial exercise.

That said, thanks for any consideration!
Dave
Last edited by DaveL17 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:36 pm
hwitten offline

include a TARGET HUMIDITY.

It may not be possible in current plugin or it could be I haven't found the right combination yet. Faked having a humidifier installed but still no luck. May have to wait for the official public API.

On the plus side though, you can set a humidity target at the thermostat, just not via Indigo, yet.

Still messin' around.

Posted on
Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:03 pm
DaveL17 offline

hwitten wrote:
Still messin' around.

Thanks for trying.

I guess it depends on how the plugin works. If the plugin is masquerading as a web browser client, it might be possible. I am able to adjust target humidity via home.nest.com so Nest knows that I have my thermostat set up for humidification (I can also set it via the app, as well as at the thermostat like you rightly said.)

Don't know what I'm looking for exactly, but this looks promising (snip of html from home.nest.com):
Code: Select all
<script id="setting_humidity_status_tmpl" type="text/x-template">
<div class="value"
        data-html="view:getStatus <
                    .dehumidifier_type
                    .humidifier_type
                    .target_humidity
                    .target_humidity_enabled">
</div>
</script>

But that could also be worthless too. :D

Regardless, thanks very much for trying.