Post Pics of Your Control Pages! (LOCKED - create new topic)

Posted on
Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:13 am
macpro offline

Re: Post Pics of Your Control Pages HERE!

Very nice!

Posted on
Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:59 am
Mark offline

Ah! I think these are the best looking pages I've seen yet on this thread! Well, next to mine, of course! :lol:

The pool looks fantastic. I really like the metal, monochrome theme.

And your use of subdued-colored icons when something is off, then brighter colors when on, makes it easy to see at a glance what's going on, yes? I use a similar scheme myself. Which got me thinking:

It seems temperatures are important to your system. May I make a suggestion?

There's a technique that Indigo supports called "advanced heuristics" that should allow you to see different icons based on the temperature reading. Have you considered using it? So, for example, you could show a plain, mercury-colored thermometer, that would fit better with your theme, when the temperature is within its normal range, but the thermometer would change color when the temperature gets out of range, say purple when it's a bit too cold, or blue when it's way too cold, or yellow when it's a bit too warm, then red when it's too hot.

Not sure where the documentation is for this technique, but a search on the forums should find you something.

You might need some AppleScript to get it all working, as I'm not sure how you're getting your numbers. But you'd then be able to tell at a glance if all your temperatures are OK or not! And that'd be cool! (Or hot, as the case may be! :D )

Posted on
Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:50 am
DomoPat offline

Ah! I think these are the best looking pages I've seen yet on this thread! Well, next to mine, of course!

Thank you, I agree, I feel the same ! :) Your pages were certainly an inspiration for me now that I look at them !
How do you do the long vertical bars on your mechanical page ? what do they represent ?

The pool looks fantastic. I really like the metal, monochrome theme.

And you haven't seen it when the lights in the pool are on.... my sister is a graphist, and a big fan of Myst making it easy for her to do all these images and symbols.

It seems temperatures are important to your system. May I make a suggestion?

Thank you for the suggestion, I know about the heuristics. I use the simplified form for the images based on variables, because my variables for doors or devices use 'oui' or 'non' instead of true-false.
For the temps I plan to change the image of the thermometer depending on the temperature value, I will do that in a long winter rainy day, and only if does not make the page to heavy or slow loading.

It's night time here, some lights are on: :shock:

Posted on
Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:51 am
Mark offline

My Mechanical page has changed quite a bit since that post, as have all my pages. But the tubes are still there. They represent the fluorescent tubes in my aquarium. Its various lights and pumps and filters are all being controlled by Indigo. I created them in Photoshop. They work just like all the other device graphics: with an on and off version for each state.

Pool at night! Very cool. I had originally planned a similar effect for room lighting: where the entire room, or areas around a table lamp, would emanate a soft glow around then when lit. But like you I was concerned about load times, so I opted for a minimalist approach instead.

And I am a graphic designer by trade, so I, too, have access to a limitless "supply" of images for my pages...

Posted on
Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:36 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Being a photographer by trade i lean toward a photographic approach. This is my main floor page setup for the iPod. (scrolling)
Tapping of lights, etc. will show their actual state and look. The narrow color strip on the deck is an LED strip that cycles thru
our favorite colors when tapped...really beautiful when there's snow on the deck with a deep blue glow on it.

The temps are 3D rendered images that, of course, change accordingly.
The "Upstairs" arrow will open a similar CP for that area.

Carl
Attachments
Main Floor.jpg
Main Floor.jpg (185.49 KiB) Viewed 6576 times

Posted on
Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:28 am
DomoPat offline

Impressive ! I love the 3D temps on the walls, great idea and perfect execution. Using the scrolling capabilities of the iPod is also good, it makes it possible to view the whole room easily in a panorama format. I wonder if I can do that here...

Posted on
Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:36 pm
f15rum offline

Solid! Very "Fringe" like look to the whole thing...

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:20 am
kpfriedberg offline

ckeyes888 wrote:
Being a photographer by trade i lean toward a photographic approach. This is my main floor page setup for the iPod. (scrolling)
Tapping of lights, etc. will show their actual state and look. The narrow color strip on the deck is an LED strip that cycles thru
our favorite colors when tapped...really beautiful when there's snow on the deck with a deep blue glow on it.

The temps are 3D rendered images that, of course, change accordingly.
The "Upstairs" arrow will open a similar CP for that area.

Carl

I love this, how does this work? Do you take multiple pictures with lights on and off?

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:14 am
Mark offline

I was wondering that, too. And what about all the Xmas decorations? Do you have different sets of images for the seasons?!? :D

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:44 pm
ckeyes888 offline

Yes, the control page bac changes with the season and I did shoot images with lights on and off etc.
Got a bit tricky lining things up using multiple images for the panoramic background.

Using .png files you can make the images blend very nicely by erasing the hard edges in Photoshop.

Carl

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:04 pm
Mark offline

Lemme guess... bg is pano of everything off. Then control buttons are just big enough to cover the "on" area, including glow of light. Off state is a transparent png? On state image is png with transparent edges? You must have a few control buttons that overlap a bit yes? But as long as you "click" the fixture (in the middle), missing any overlapping edges, overlaps wouldn't matter.

Very clever... just don't rearrange the furniture! :-)

Posted on
Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:13 pm
Mark offline

Hmmm, got me to thinking...

Doesn't the latest version of Indigo offer some sort of control element for live video feeds? How 'bout this:

You have your pano bg, but the image is live video (with full time cam, pano lens). All the light controls are just transparent pngs overlaid over live video. Image updates in real time, complete with people and objects (the coffee cup you just put down, the xmas tree, etc)! You could even still have your temp images overlaid over video!

Doubles as security cam when not home.

And, when a light is shown as on, it's REALLY on! (Something INSTEON can't do 100% reliably!)

Have to work out how to handle pitch black, midnight scenario. Maybe cam switches to infrared!

Damn, I'd better get started!! :D

Posted on
Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:56 am
kpfriedberg offline

Here's mine. Formatted for scrolling on iPhone:

Posted on
Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:36 am
Dave Durham offline

My Sprinkler Control Page

This is one of my control pages, it's just for the sprinklers. I had a lot of specific needs for flexibility in controlling my zones. This does exactly what I wanted and makes sense to me, although it takes a little getting used to for some.

-d
Attachments
Sprinklers.jpg
Control Page for Sprinklers
Sprinklers.jpg (274.37 KiB) Viewed 6374 times

Posted on
Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:31 pm
paduck offline

What software do you recommend for making control pages? It seemsmlikemsome people are just brute forcing it with Photoshop or PSE. Is that the best way to go? As a non-graphic designer, I suppose I'd like to know if there is something that could make it easy.

I really liked the brush-metal design by Domopat!

Page 15 of 68 1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 68