Voice control via Android

Posted on
Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:26 pm
mtmeyer32 offline

Voice control via Android

Hey Guys I just got some new voice control features working and I thought I would share.

What it does:
Using my Nexus 5 I can say "Ok, Google good night" and my good night Insteon scene will be executed. Another example: "Ok, google let's watch a movie" will turn off all the lights in my apartment, set the tv input to my HTPC, announce "Enjoy the show", and then slowly dim the tv accent lights to off. Scenes, individual devices, or anything else you can control through Indigo can be set up with a voice command.

How it works:
The Autovoice plugin for the Tasker app is used to catch certain "Ok, Google" commands. Those commands trigger profiles in Tasker where I have set up shell scripts to run cURL commands to my Indigo server. Your device must be rooted in order to install cURL and run the cURL commands. Also, I use a DDNS system on my Asus router to be able to access the server from anywhere in the world.

Thanks for letting me brag! If anyone needs any help doing this or has any questions, I will be more than happy to answer. If there is interest I'll post a short demo video and a detailed guide to setting this up.

Posted on
Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:04 am
waveuk offline

Re: Voice control via Android

Very useful! Would be possible to have an script to avoid having to root the phone to install Curl on the phone. Maybe an php one to be access via http.

Posted on
Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:20 pm
Peel offline

Re: Voice control via Android

I also have a DDNS set up for my network. Where did you add the url info to be able to access the server from outside the local network?
I'm glad that there's a solution besides the costly reflector solution.

Page 1 of 1