Indigo saves pool

Posted on
Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:34 am
roussell offline

Indigo saves pool

Woke up this morning to an announcement from Indigo - the pool was losing water and had shut down. Got dressed, went outside and found the salt chlorinator had burst - while 2" of water was running through it. I'm guessing it probably actually cracked Wed. night when it was 6 degrees, and then broke free this morning. The system turns on when the temp drops below 32, but I guess I'll need to add pipe heaters to the mix for Alabama's next ice apocalypse.

Thanks to Indigo I only lost about an inch of water in the pool instead of 18,000 gallons if I hadn't been monitoring and controlling it. Thanks Matt and Jay!! Also thanks to Nick for the awesome Sonos plugin - now with mp3 announcements!! There's a donation coming your way as soon as I get through a divorce and this mess!

IMG_2542.jpg
IMG_2542.jpg (102.21 KiB) Viewed 2944 times

Posted on
Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:22 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo saves pool

That is terrific -- I love hearing about real-world scenarios where home automation (especially Indigo controlled) helps avoid a disaster.

Posted on
Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:20 pm
rhanson offline

Cool. How about a list in the wiki of these types of safety/security related checks and actions?

I'll bet there's a dozen of us who hadn't thought about that scenario, and don't have that logic programmed.

I look for unusual spikes in electrical consumption and generation (solar). Whatever the reason, it's worth getting a notification about it.

Posted on
Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Interesting idea - I'll add it to the thing's were considering for the wiki/forums.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:36 am
eme jota ce offline

roussell wrote:
Woke up this morning to an announcement from Indigo - the pool was losing water and had shut down. Got dressed, went outside and found the salt chlorinator had burst - while 2" of water was running through it. I'm guessing it probably actually cracked Wed. night when it was 6 degrees, and then broke free this morning. The system turns on when the temp drops below 32, but I guess I'll need to add pipe heaters to the mix for Alabama's next ice apocalypse.

Thanks to Indigo I only lost about an inch of water in the pool instead of 18,000 gallons if I hadn't been monitoring and controlling it. Thanks Matt and Jay!! Also thanks to Nick for the awesome Sonos plugin - now with mp3 announcements!! There's a donation coming your way as soon as I get through a divorce and this mess!

IMG_2542.jpg

That's great.

Can you share the devices and logic within indigo that you used?

I have the great Autelis plugin, but use it only for control purposes (heaters, etc.) but don't see an obvious way to detect problems or implement safeguards.

Thanks,
mjc

Page 1 of 1