Volume control

Posted on
Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:43 pm
kennybroh offline

Volume control

I've asked about this before and not gotten very far. At least so far it appears to me that nothing in the Indigo Touch interface really allows for effective volume control. The ways I would assume this would be implemented would either be repeated commands while a button is depressed, or a slider, like the pop-up brightness control. That's what Sonos does and it really works well.

Is there any way to control volume in Indigo Touch? If there is not, isn't that a serious crimp in home theatre control?

Posted on
Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:01 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Volume control

kennybroh wrote:
Is there any way to control volume in Indigo Touch? If there is not, isn't that a serious crimp in home theatre control?

Perhaps it is. However, since Indigo doesn't have native support for devices that have volume (or for any of the dedicated IR devices) it's probably less important. Indigo 5.0 may change that given the plugin API.

The problem is that any "hold down" followed by a "release" action in Indigo Touch would have to first go through the IndigoServer, then to the controlled device. What happens if IndigoServer misses the "release" message? Volume would continue to increase until it reached its limit.

That's actually the reasoning for not using INSTEON buttons. Indigo Touch communication with the server should be more reliable, so it's something that we may consider in the future. The other thing to consider is the latency between the time you press the UP button in Indigo Touch and the time the command is actually received by the controlled device - it may not feel very responsive because of the multiple hops/interpretations.

Another thing we may consider is creating some slider mechanism, perhaps as a popup control type for a variable or something, so that you can set an arbitrary value. So you could have a slider that represents the desired volume variable and then create a variable changed trigger that would actually set the volume in the device.

Anyway, we've got the general concept captured on our todo list.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:21 pm
Alain offline

Hi

I notice this post dates from a while back. Has there been any progress in this area?

A slider control that sets a variable would be perfect - then we could use it for anything, like setting the output volume on Airfoil, for example.

Thanks
Alain

Posted on
Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:53 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Nothing beyond what's stated above.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:14 pm
mat offline

To contol my sonos volume I have two methods.

On a contol page, amongst other things I have a plus and minus button that have to be pressed multiple times to adjust volume. Each runs a script to either increase or decrease volume. Useful for minor adjustments.

The other method uses a non-existent dimmable lamp. I adjust the brightness of the lamp pop up (labelled volume) which runs a script each time the brightness changes, setting the sonos volume (0 - 100) to the brightness level of the pop-up (0 - 100).

On and off mute. The only downside is the little lamp icon.

Jay, any chance of adding a module type without the lamp icon, and another without the on/off?

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:14 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Not really. ;)

We'd rather just add the appropriate types of controls. It's something we're thinking about but it's not going to happen for 5.0.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:38 pm
mat offline

Always worth asking. NP and keep up the hard work

Mat

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:02 pm
kennybroh offline

mat wrote:
To contol my sonos volume I have two methods.

On a contol page, amongst other things I have a plus and minus button that have to be pressed multiple times to adjust volume. Each runs a script to either increase or decrease volume. Useful for minor adjustments.

What script are you running? Do you have multiple zones?

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:08 am
mat offline

Ops double post
Last edited by mat on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Posted on
Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:10 am
mat offline

Yes have multi zones.

There is a thread on the sonos site with a python controller that I call with http curl requests.

There is a link from this post .....viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6507&p=40754&hilit=Sonos#p40754

Late 2018 mini 10.14

Page 1 of 1