Post Pics of Your Control Pages! (LOCKED - create new topic)

Posted on
Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:00 pm
Dewster35 offline

Re: Post Pics of Your Control Pages HERE!

I saw an ad just the other day for a 60 dollar tablet... that seems just insane to me.

Posted on
Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:24 pm
macpro offline

We can get them over here for just over € 100.
But the biggest problem is getting one with a high resolution.
The really cheap ones are 480 or 600 pixels in height. That's not enough.

And I still have to figure out how I can display a control page full screen in a browser.
Who has any tips on that?

Posted on
Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:55 am
macpro offline

I bought a Yarvik Xenta TAB09-211 for € 149. It has a retina screen, just like the iPad. If you look from a distance, you won't even see the difference between these 2. Installed the Maxton Browser and my control pages are running quite fine.

A small layout "problem" is that I've designed the pages to be really full screen and Android is reserving a region on the bottom because it has no physical buttons. I could solve this by rooting the tablet, but that didn't go as easy as they tell. So I think I'll leave it this way.

A bigger problem is that the screens turns to white whenever I move from one control page to another.
That makes it look a bit cheap.

Next step is getting a way to mount the tablet to the wall. I'm going for a photo frame, but still need to figure out the right size. The tablet has a power plug that needs about 1,5cm of space so I'll first try to get another plug that is much smaller.

[update] The Yarvik was not a succes. Browsers kept crashing, it was slow and had some other issues. So it's back to where it came from and I've bought an iPad mini instead. [/update]

Here's the latest version of some of the control pages:

Main menu with current TV channel and logo.

Dimmable and on/off lights. The status is visible via the yellow dots. The dim level is (a bit) visible in the dots.

The status for the garden, including the temperature outside (real and feeling).

The 2nd menu, but now with info from the SqueezeBox playing christmas tunes.

The dark and light status for rooms in the house.
Because I still use MS13 modules and the radio signals don't always reach Indigo. This way I can easily reset the dark/light status for a room.

The ventilation system has 3 levels.

Posted on
Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:42 am
jeremyjjr offline

And I still have to figure out how I can display a control page full screen in a browser.
Who has any tips on that?

I've been working on an Android based view for some time - I have purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3.0 7" tablet which works with a native resolution of 1024 x 768. It's definitely a work in progress, but with a few decent apps installed you can generate a first class experience!

1. Installed SureLock from 42Gears.com - this locks down the tablet to only run the applications you want it to run - effectively locking the device down and only displaying the control pages - works straight from boot and can autolaunch the browser ...

2. Installed the Dolphin Browser app - this has the capability to run in full screen mode, ensuring that your pages come across in the true resolution they were designed for!

3. Mounted the tablet on the wall using 'PadTab' - http://www.thepadtab.com - an invisible mounting solution that works really well - although a little blue tack on the corners helps avoid wobble when pressing the screen! They also do a smaller version for phones - which worked very well for the smaller 7" tablet.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy.

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:22 pm
macpro offline

I finally cracked it!

Spent two nights in XCode and now I'm running "Indigo Kiosk" on my iPad mini.
It's a small app I made that runs the control pages I showed earlier in full screen on the iPad.
And when the night falls or when we are not at home, the screen dims to zero brightness to minimise backlight usage.

Posted on
Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:34 pm
Dewster35 offline

macpro wrote:
I finally cracked it!

Spent two nights in XCode and now I'm running "Indigo Kiosk" on my iPad mini.
It's a small app I made that runs the control pages I showed earlier in full screen on the iPad.
And when the night falls or when we are not at home, the screen dims to zero brightness to minimise backlight usage.

Curious what interested you in doing this? Just to get the features you wanted or just as a fun side project?

Posted on
Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 am
macpro offline

That's an easy answer. Both.

Posted on
Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:44 pm
Chompy offline

Any chance you'll be posting Indigo Kiosk to the app store? It would be awesome to have an Indigo Touch alternative.

Posted on
Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:11 pm
macpro offline

I don't think so. It would need some enhancements to make it usuable for a bigger audience and I don't have the resources at the moment for that.

Posted on
Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:55 am
snowjay offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
There are never finished, but here are three of the "almost" finished control pages that I have... these are designed to run on a 22" Android touchscreen monitor (1080p). Definitely was inspired by multiple examples in this thread, so figured I would post some in case it gives any others more ideas...

Adam

I really like the look of these pages. Do the icons in the upper right corner work/represent the different platforms available for viewing? Also what do the icons in the upper left represent?

Jason

Posted on
Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:19 pm
RogueProeliator offline

I really like the look of these pages. Do the icons in the upper right corner work/represent the different platforms available for viewing? Also what do the icons in the upper left represent?

Thanks! Yes the upper-right icons are for console/tablet/phone versions of the pages, although truth be told I haven't done any tablet-optimized pages yet. My phone pages are VERY lacking at the moment, never having been really prettied up or finished off.

The upper left represent different house states - home, working (from home), away, night and vacation... this corresponds to/sets a house-mode variable that is then used in conditions/triggers/schedules/etc. For instance, I somewhat simulate our standard home pattern with a schedule that only executes if the house mode is vacation.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:32 pm
snowjay offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

Thanks! Yes the upper-right icons are for console/tablet/phone versions of the pages, although truth be told I haven't done any tablet-optimized pages yet. My phone pages are VERY lacking at the moment, never having been really prettied up or finished off.

The upper left represent different house states - home, working (from home), away, night and vacation... this corresponds to/sets a house-mode variable that is then used in conditions/triggers/schedules/etc. For instance, I somewhat simulate our standard home pattern with a schedule that only executes if the house mode is vacation.

Adam

You're welcome Adam!

I though the upper left icons might be for house states. I have some similar states and that is certainly a good way of representing them.

One other question... what are you using for your left menu - jQuery or something else? I currently have a tabbed layout with individual pages what want to trim it down to something smaller like yours using a single page and updating the page contents dynamically.

Jason

Posted on
Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:52 pm
RogueProeliator offline

One other question... what are you using for your left menu - jQuery or something else? I currently have a tabbed layout with individual pages what want to trim it down to something smaller like yours using a single page and updating the page contents dynamically.

I originally had them planned with a simple HTML wrapper that loaded the control pages in a frame/iframe style interface when the tab was changed. However, I ended up nixing that since I would lose the navigation in native iOS and Android clients; now they are just static images as links to control pages so that navigation and look is the same in the iOS, Android and web clients.

Posted on
Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:30 pm
snowjay offline

RogueProeliator wrote:

I originally had them planned with a simple HTML wrapper that loaded the control pages in a frame/iframe style interface when the tab was changed. However, I ended up nixing that since I would lose the navigation in native iOS and Android clients; now they are just static images as links to control pages so that navigation and look is the same in the iOS, Android and web clients.

Ahh, ok, thanks again!

Jason

Posted on
Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:46 pm
mattggarland offline

Okay so I have been through a LOT of control page designs since I started with Indigo, some okay, some hopeless. Have reached a point now I'm really happy with them so time to share!

My system is purely controlling AV systems at the moment, it will expand to include lighting when I get round to buying a house and not just renting one :p

I love the style of ios7, and so attempted to do something similar. The system has 3 rooms:

Housewide:
Turntable, PS3, Apple TV, Oppo Blu Ray, Now TV, 2 Sonos Units

Lounge:
Projector, 5.1 System, HiFi, TV, PS2, Wii

Kitchen
TV, Speakers

Bedroom
TV, Speakers

Each room has it's own page, no home page, not necessary and a nuisance i discovered, here's the Bedroom!

IMG_0392.PNG
Bedroom Control Page
IMG_0392.PNG (98.03 KiB) Viewed 6764 times

As you can see, when a room isn't doing anything, all the buttons are hidden (all assigned to the 'KitchenNowPlaying' Variable, allowing me to keep the same control page and see the buttons i want, the effect is that if I change to listen to music, my GF's phone auto updates!

Here's some Sonos happening in the living room...
IMG_0393.PNG
IMG_0393.PNG (366.1 KiB) Viewed 6764 times

As you can see we have album artwork and relevant buttons, in the same control page, I won't bore you with them all, but I like the one for my Oppo BDP - specifically the Netflix button.

IMG_0394.PNG
IMG_0394.PNG (161.26 KiB) Viewed 6764 times

The button on the top right links to an apps page, allowing music control and handy links to apps!

IMG_0395.PNG
IMG_0395.PNG (146.06 KiB) Viewed 6764 times

Each room has it's own settings page, and then a general settings page covers the whole house

IMG_0396.PNG
IMG_0396.PNG (55 KiB) Viewed 6764 times
IMG_0397.PNG
IMG_0397.PNG (63.88 KiB) Viewed 6764 times

And alarms of either a source or a playlist can be triggered in any room too!

IMG_0398.PNG
IMG_0398.PNG (62.39 KiB) Viewed 6764 times
IMG_0399.PNG
IMG_0399.PNG (81.98 KiB) Viewed 6764 times

One of the best things about using this method of blank control pages with buttons that load from variables is that I am able to create pages for devices around the house, so for example my iPad alarm clock, dark on a night and then buttons appear at any touch of the screen...

IMG_0439.PNG
IMG_0439.PNG (73.12 KiB) Viewed 6764 times
IMG_0440.PNG
IMG_0440.PNG (245.68 KiB) Viewed 6764 times

Page 28 of 68 1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 68