howartp offline

Re: Z-UNO

Cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:19 am
yassi offline

Maybe Karl (kw123) can do some magic (he wrote also an Arduino plugin already) :lol:

Board will be available in July 2016 in Germany and Fall 2016 in the US.

Posted on
Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:40 am
DaveL17 offline

OK, that is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:18 pm
kw123 offline

this is the opposite way of communicating with the arduino board as compared to the arduino plugin. It uses zwave to communicate.

steps: use the arduino IDE environment to define your zwave device (dimmer, switch ...) . then load it to the z uno .
THEN it is a zwave devices like all other zwave devices.

The ardunio plugin communicates through wifi with the arduino to read/set things..

So in order to use this in indigo, indigo needs to communicate to this devices like with all other zwave devices AFTER you configure through the regular arduino IDE.

One could use this to build a fancy zwave device that does multiple things. But you can do this now with the regular arduino through wifi.

In addition Matt/Jay would need to add each version of that z-uno into their zwave stack.

thats my understanding

Karl

Posted on
Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:57 pm
yassi offline

kw123 wrote:
this is the opposite way of communicating with the arduino board as compared to the arduino plugin. It uses zwave to communicate.

steps: use the arduino IDE environment to define your zwave device (dimmer, switch ...) . then load it to the z uno .
THEN it is a zwave devices like all other zwave devices.

The ardunio plugin communicates through wifi with the arduino to read/set things..

So in order to use this in indigo, indigo needs to communicate to this devices like with all other zwave devices AFTER you configure through the regular arduino IDE.

One could use this to build a fancy zwave device that does multiple things. But you can do this now with the regular arduino through wifi.

In addition Matt/Jay would need to add each version of that z-uno into their zwave stack.

thats my understanding

Karl

Karl, thx for giving us a first peek of what the device is able to do/ how is communicating.

Let's see, maybe one will test it- maybe I will buy one late Summer.

yassi

Posted on
Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:22 pm
kw123 offline

The biggest issue I see: ... Matt/Jay would need to add EACH version of that z-uno into their zwave stack. before you can use it in indigo...

Posted on
Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:21 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Maybe not - it really depends on what command classes it responds with when Indigo asks it what it can do. If it responds with command classes that we know about (on/off, dim, thermostat, sensor, etc) then it doesn't need a special definition. The problem comes when devices don't respond correctly to those classes or they implement classes other than those or they provide config params that are required to make the device work. This, unfortunately, is all too common. So much for standardization... :roll:

Anyway, it's possible that they will "just work", but a LOT of that depends on how the device describes itself.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:24 am
davinci offline

So if I want to send a sensor value to Indigo, is this possible?

https://z-uno.z-wave.me/examples/MultilevelSensor/
https://z-uno.z-wave.me/Reference/Z-Wave/

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:15 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I don't know and cannot say for sure unless we got one and tried it out. I will say though this doesn't look like the best approach to me. If you are going to go so far as to use Arduino then you might as well use WiFi to communicate with Indigo. No reason to put the traffic over Z-Wave, which will just increase network congestion.

Why not look into using either Karl's Arduino plugin or his Raspberry Pi piBeacon plugin, or Berkinet's phidget plugin? I personally haven't used them but I think all 3 would be a better, and more easily expandable, approach than trying to use Z-Wave.

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:04 pm
davinci offline

The wifi Network is not stable enough and zwave uses less energy. This is great using it Off-Grid. I will send data every 30s at max.

Would you be able to make it work?

On the website there is a lot of technological information. Maybe you can have a look at it.

Posted on
Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:55 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If you can make the Z-Uno side send out multilevel sensor commands then, yes, we probably can get it working. However, it won't be immediate and will require patience and potential troubleshooting on your side.

Posted on
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:53 pm
davinci offline

Ok that should be possible. So it might even work out of the box if it follows standard commands?

Posted on
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:13 pm
howartp offline

Following this thread with regards handling of this device in Indigo if you get that far.

I can't recall whether basic multilevel sensors are supported out of the box or not.

Posted on
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:37 pm
NewfD90 offline

I've been using the Z-Uno with Indigo for the past couple months. Works great. Since I am doing a temperature sensor for my hot tub, I set it up as a multilevel sensor. After replacing my control pack, I found I had an unused Balboa temperature sensor in the tub, so I put it to use reporting the temperature via Zwave. Unfortunately, Balboa doesn't give a formula, just a HUGE table of resistance vs. temperature values. Much to large to put in the small amount of available memory, so I plotted a few of them and was able to curve fit it pretty close with logarithmic formula I came up with. Unfortunately, that requires floating point (see below).

The oddities I've noticed so far:
- To exclude the device, I have to get it very close to my Z-stick. Including works great from afar.
- Running a heal on that specific node seems to fail (can't update routing tables). What I've done to get around this is include it from it's permanent location.
- My code looks at the A/D value once per second and only reports if the value changes. What I see in the Indigo logs when it reports is at least 3 logs of the same temp.
- I'm doing floating point and reporting temperature to 1/10th of a degree and the device seems to have a stack issue eventually. It will reboot (I think) and report some erroneous values when that happens. This causes my low temp trigger to fire. To get around this I've set up a timer in Indigo such that the temp has to be low for 10 minutes before throwing an error.
- The Z-Uno forums seem to be aware of the floating point issue and they're working on a fix. Once I get the update I think I'll change the precision of my sensor to whole degrees and look at the A/D values every 30 seconds or so. That way it reports less often.

So far, I'm generally pleased with it and glad I spent the $$$. As sometimes weeks can go by between hot tub uses, it gives me peace of mind in the winter.