[ANSWERED]iTunes/KPL Wiki example up to date?

Posted on
Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:01 pm
CraigM offline

[ANSWERED]iTunes/KPL Wiki example up to date?

Matt/Jay,

Is the Scenario 3 - Keeping a button in sync with iTunes playstate at http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/wiki/doku.php?id=inst_keypadlinc_buttons the most up-to-date way of executing this?

Most of your current support uses Python examples, and this uses AppleScript, so I thought it might be an old or outdated method for v6.

Please advise

EDIT:
I'll assume that the mentioned script added these:
iTunesVariables.png
iTunesVariables.png (77.49 KiB) Viewed 2200 times

But there is no iTunes_CurrentlyPlaying variable

Posted on
Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: iTunes/KPL Wiki example up to date?

Yes, that wiki article was written before the advent of the iTunes plugin. The iTunes script linked to in that article creates the necessary variables.

I've got a task on my list of things to do to update the various wiki articles - not sure when I'll get around to it. But, in a nutshell, when you create the triggers to turn the button On/Off, you want to use Device State Changed triggers on your iTunes Server device and look for the "Player Status is Playing" "Becomes True" to turn the button on and "Becomes False" to turn the button off.

And the last two triggers to play pause will just use the direct iTunes Play and Pause actions rather than a script.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:35 pm
CraigM offline

So are you saying we can delete those iTunes variables because they are no longer relevant?

What about the iTunes sync.scpt? Delete? Disable? Leave alone?

And the iTunes attachment.scpt? What does/did it do? Delete? Disable? Leave alone?

Posted on
Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:38 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I wasn't saying any of those since you didn't ask any of them in the OP.

The iTunes scripts are like any other script: it's up to you if you want to use them. The iTunes sync script is largely replaced by the plugin in Indigo 5/6 so if you don't want to use it feel free not to (and you can delete the variables since those are now represented in the plugin). That script is typically started up in a startup trigger - Indigo doesn't start it automatically.

The iTunes Attachment script has the commands that you can use in AppleScripts to control iTunes. Again, you can use it if you like. It does have the ability to control which playlist is playing which is something the plugin can't do so you may want to look at it more for that reason. If it's in the Scripts/Attachments directory then Indigo will automatically make the handlers defined in it available for use in other scripts. No real reason to disable it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1