Jandy PDA board damaged; recs re Jandy RS232 or others?

Posted on
Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:10 pm
hamw offline

Jandy PDA board damaged; recs re Jandy RS232 or others?

Had a failure of my Jandy PDA mother board for my pool. It has Pure Link Standard Power Center with salt water chlorinator, a couple of relays for valves, pump (single pump operating both pool and spa), breaker panel and heater control. I have a home warranty and it is likely they'll let me put in what I want, not just replace the board directly.

I'm thinking this is my opportunity to go RS232. However, it looks like to do so I need a wired controller (not sure) as well as the RS232 mother board and the RS232 control module. Assuming I get the mother board replaced under warranty, what would be the best route parts-wise? What is typical Jandy pricing and are there alternative sources? Also, would anyone recommend going with different pool control unit?

Thanks!

Posted on
Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:09 pm
hamw offline

Need advice re running 200 ft of 4-conductor wire undergroun

After a good deal of communication with Zodiac/Jandy Tech Support (who were surprisingly responsive and helpful) it turned out that the PDA board is upgradeable with an RS-8 One Touch board. This is the RS232 version, so I can now run a really long cable to my Indigo Mini. Surprisingly, the cost of the upgrade board with chip and one touch controller is within $50.00 of simply replacing the PDA board. Seems like Jandy is trying to reduce the costs of upgrades and also to reduce the huge expense when a board fails. A major plus is that the AquaLink PDA remains functional as an AquaPalm, which can control On/Off as well as Spa/Pool and Temp functions.

I need to run the One Touch panel wire from the pool house to the house proper, about 200 ft. Any advice here re conduit, type of wire etc?

Page 1 of 1