View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 User Supplied hints and Tips for Switchboard 

Post User Supplied hints and Tips for Switchboard
This is a forum area, where you can post hints, tips, techniques, and anything cool that you want to share with the Switchboard Community...

Security Script for v4 - http://bit.ly/QTgclf
for v5 - http://bit.ly/T6WBKu

Support Forum(s) - http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/viewforum.php?f=33

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:05 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: User Supplied hints and Tips for Switchboard
Switchlink has helped me keep my KPL states in sync with various scenes, actions, and triggers that fire. I have three examples for how I use Switchboard to help keep my KPL in sync.

Here is the first one:
Button 8 on my KPL is labeled 'Away'. When I toggle it on, about 9 defined devices will turn off in the master bed and bath area. Great. However, if I then changed the state of any of those 9 devices to on or brightness > 0, KPL 8 would then still be toggled 'On' with the LED illuminated giving a false indication that area of the house was completely off. Switch board solved this by helping keep everything in sync. I have one monitored group named Master Suite which monitors those 9 devices.

A trigger has been created to take action when something in monitored the devices group meet a specific criteria:
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 1.58.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 1.58.16 PM.png [ 22.97 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]

When any of those 9 devices is turned on, the above criteria is met then the action below is accomplished.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 1.58.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 1.58.30 PM.png [ 25 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]

This is a simple way to keep the state of the KPL button in sync with what is actually going on in that 'zone' or 'group'.

So what about the reverse. We know I can turn off all of those 9 devices by toggling KPL8 on. But if I use Indigo touch to turn the devices off then the KPL8 'Away' button will be toggled 'Off' once again giving a false indication, in this case, that there is still a device on somewhere when in fact everything is off. So I simply reversed the above trigger:
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 2.07.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 2.07.38 PM.png [ 23.15 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]

When the above criteria is met, in this case all 9 monitored devices are off/false the below action is accomplished.
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 2.07.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-09 at 2.07.46 PM.png [ 24.74 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]

So as I add more and more devices to my house this group can monitor all of them and take action based on meeting a simple true or false criteria giving me that desired visual LED feedback. I have two other KPL/Switchboard examples that I have setup which I will go into detail later.

~Lou

Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:18 pm

Post Re: User Supplied hints and Tips for Switchboard
Hi Lou,

Your post caught my eye and I wanted to know that with the introduction of Device Groups in Indigo6, would you still go this route (using script) to manage your away button example? Or, is there now a better way to do this using the new functionality in Indigo6?

Thanks,
JW

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]