Power strip might be causing noise, what brand should I buy

Posted on
Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:59 pm
jroach offline

Power strip might be causing noise, what brand should I buy

My Insteon controller is plugged into the same outlet as a (6) plug power strip. I change this power strip out from a 5 plug to a six plug to support another device. I haven't verified this yet for certain but I believe the power strip I am using now is causing the signal to not reach my units in the house. The only unit that works is in the same room (different outlet). I'll do some more trouble shooting to determine if its the power strip or not but I would like to know if there is a specific brand/type that works better than others ie: Certain type of filtering to use or avoid.

Posted on
Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:07 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Power strip might be causing noise, what brand should I

I don't know about specific brands/models, but in general the more expensive higher-end surge strips are the ones that attenuate signals the most. Power strips that have no surge protection at all (basically, just a switch) typically do not cause any problems. You can filter problem power strips (or other electronics) via a FilterLinc.

Posted on
Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:55 pm
jroach offline

Problem was a GE 6 outlet with surge protection. Maybe just old. Took it out of the equation and all is well. I put the old one back in for now. I see 'supports' comments above. Does a filter work both directions. If so, maybe I should get one to attach my Insteon too.

Posted on
Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:08 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The filter is used to isolate the problem electronics (or an entire surge strip). You don't want to plug INSTEON modules into a filter because it also blocks the INSTEON commands in both directions.

The do, however, have an unfiltered pass-through outlet. So you can plug an INSTEON module into that, then the surge strip (or other electronics) into the filtered outlet on the bottom of the filter.

Posted on
Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:52 pm
jroach offline

Bought a new strip today, with filter. Per support, no controllers/modules plugged into it. I did plug a rarely used mac pro tower into the insteon controller (always on). I noticed my lights went to not working again. The mac was turned off but seems to be causing noise or confusing the controller. Removed the mac from the insteon and plugged it back into the strip. All is well.

Page 1 of 1