Indigo-PhoneValet Integration

Posted on
Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:55 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

I have to say I'm completely at a loss then. I assume that you've tried leaving some new messages and all new messages have no caller name. The change I had you make to the attachment script should just initialize the variable theCallerName to an empty string, but it should get set later in that function if the value is present in the comment section of the file (which you confirmed it did): I can't see how it's not working.

I'll keep thinking on it...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:34 am
dnomode offline

(No subject)

Hello Jay,

Do you have any other ideas about the caller name not being spoken by the system. Would it help if a post the actual script so you can look at it?

Thank You
Ed

Posted on
Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:10 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

dnomode wrote:
Do you have any other ideas about the caller name not being spoken by the system. Would it help if a post the actual script so you can look at it?

You can email copies of each of the script files to indigo DASH support@ perceptiveautomation DOT com and I'll look at them, but I just don't see how it's not working since you say the data is in the file's comment section. That's where the script goes to get the data, and if the caller name is there, then the script should read it...

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:50 pm
BillC offline

(No subject)

Jay, thanks much for all your effort in the PV integration. With one exception, it's working well.

Re: Caller name missing...

I'm having the same problem and have done a bit of playing with the script. I think the following code is what isn't working:
Code: Select all
tell application "Finder"
               try
                  set theDetailsString to comment of (theCallPath as POSIX file)
               end try
            end tell

The info is being inserted into the file comments. It also is visible for the last call in the Indigo Variable PhoneValet_LatestMessageCallerName.

Inserting
pvLog("Details String: " & theDetailsString)

immediately after the above segment results in nothing appearing after the colon in the log. I also get a null string in the log if I ask to log propsList after it's been set to text items of theDetailsString.

I'm using 10.5.6, Indigo 4.0b2, and PV 5.4.2 (full version).

Does this help? I'm a rank beginner with AppleScript and may be going in the wrong direction....

Posted on
Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:35 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

I suspect we have a Tiger vs Leopard thing going on here (that's been my biggest problem with the beta client as well). It works fine on my production server (Tiger). I haven't tested it on my development system (Leopard) - no PhoneValet installed there.

Can you clarify - you said:

The info is being inserted into the file comments. It also is visible for the last call in the Indigo Variable PhoneValet_LatestMessageCallerName.

So, the caller name IS in the comments section of the file, right? If so, that might be enough for me to track it down. We're working on getting the next beta out in the next few days, but when I'm done with that I'll look more into this.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:49 pm
BillC offline

(No subject)

Yes, the info is present in the comments section, but as far as I can tell is not being read back out.

Thanks...if there's any more checking I can do, please let me know.

Posted on
Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:10 pm
BillC offline

(No subject)

Jay (and dnomode/Ed),

This works in Leopard. Finder likes aliases for some reason.

try
                  set ThisFileAlias to (POSIX file theCallPath) as alias
                  set theDetailsString to comment of ThisFileAlias
               end try
            end tell

Posted on
Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:27 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

BillC wrote:
Jay (and dnomode/Ed),

try
               end try
            end tell

Excellent Bill, thanks for the work. I've run across some other problems when using an explicit cast (POSIX file XXX) vs a post processing cast (XXX as POSIX file) - I think some date functions work one way but not the other, and apparently Tiger treats them the same and Leopard doesn't. When I get a chance, I'll try your solution on Tiger, and if it works, I'll change it and repost the archive in the file library.

PS - I be changing the original line to this would also work:

set theDetailsString to comment of alias (theCallPath as POSIX file)

or, possibly, this:

set theDetailsString to comment of ((theCallPath as POSIX file) as alias)

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:03 pm
BillC offline

(No subject)

jay wrote:

PS - I be changing the original line to this would also work:

set theDetailsString to comment of alias (theCallPath as POSIX file)

or, possibly, this:

The first one I had tried; it doesn't work. The second version does and is less of a kludge than my use of a variable...the more I work with Applescript the more I'm convinced it's a kludge (and no, that's not an original thought...)

Posted on
Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:54 pm
dnomode offline

(No subject)

Jay (and dnomode/Ed),

try
               end try
            end tell

This modification need to be made to the PhoneValet Attachments.scpt correct?

I made the change, restarted the Indigo server and PhoneValet, however the problem has not been resolved. Any other ideas I can try?

Thank You

Ed

Posted on
Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:54 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

dnomode wrote:
Jay (and dnomode/Ed),

try
               end try
            end tell

This modification need to be made to the PhoneValet Attachments.scpt correct?

I made the change, restarted the Indigo server and PhoneValet, however the problem has not been resolved. Any other ideas I can try?

Thank You

Ed

Try this (which works in Leopard):

and, yes, it's in the PhoneValet Attachments.scpt. Just to make sure everything is restarted, you might want to reboot the machine. BTW, you're using Leopard, right?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:17 am
sjoing offline

triggers / action groups via phone with phonevalet?

i used phlink briefly (before the adapter broke) to control a thermostat, etc. and i'm wondering if i would be able to call into my indigo system and execute actions/triggers/applescript via phonevalet integration. i read through the Indigo-PhoneValet Doc.rtf and didn't see this mentioned.

Posted on
Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:46 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: triggers / action groups via phone with phonevalet?

sjoing wrote:
i used phlink briefly (before the adapter broke) to control a thermostat, etc. and i'm wondering if i would be able to call into my indigo system and execute actions/triggers/applescript via phonevalet integration. i read through the Indigo-PhoneValet Doc.rtf and didn't see this mentioned.

It's possible but not nearly as flexible as Phlink (you don't need the PhoneValet-Indigo integration to do it).

PhoneValet has built-in a way to define call trees, and one option available is a "remote control" which is really the execution of an AppleScript that contains a predefined handler. I have to say I haven't played around with it much so I can't go into any more detail than that - I use Indigo Touch or the Web Browser for remote control rather than the phone.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:27 pm
JeffS offline

"PhoneValet_NewCallCount" variable stops updating

I've been using the PhoneValet/Indigo integration for a while now, mainly for a voicemail indicator light (LED candle) in my livingroom. Essentially, I have an event that turns on the light whenever the "PhoneValet_NewCallCount" becomes greater than "0", and turns it back off when it becomes "0". This generally has worked very well. Every so often it would stop working, and I would re-boot my iMac and it would start working again. Since my upgrade to Snow Leopard, it seems like it stops working quite often now. If I go into the variables list in Indigo I can see that the variable no longer gets updated when changes occur in PhoneValet - the count does not go up or down as calls are received or listened to. I thought this might be a rights issue since I have one general user that auto logs in on boot that starts both Indigo and PhoneValet, and if I happen to listen to the call through PhoneValet Anywhere on my iPhone it quite often stops updating then. It also seems to now have a problem if I log in as an actual user and listen to the calls from there. I did go into the Parliant and Perceptive Automation directories under "Library>Application Support" and open up the rights to all users in case there was a rights issue, but that does not seem to have made any difference here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, and take care!

Jeff

Posted on
Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:31 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: "PhoneValet_NewCallCount" variable stops updat

JeffS wrote:
I've been using the PhoneValet/Indigo integration for a while now, mainly for a voicemail indicator light (LED candle) in my livingroom. Essentially, I have an event that turns on the light whenever the "PhoneValet_NewCallCount" becomes greater than "0", and turns it back off when it becomes "0". This generally has worked very well. Every so often it would stop working, and I would re-boot my iMac and it would start working again. Since my upgrade to Snow Leopard, it seems like it stops working quite often now. If I go into the variables list in Indigo I can see that the variable no longer gets updated when changes occur in PhoneValet - the count does not go up or down as calls are received or listened to. I thought this might be a rights issue since I have one general user that auto logs in on boot that starts both Indigo and PhoneValet, and if I happen to listen to the call through PhoneValet Anywhere on my iPhone it quite often stops updating then. It also seems to now have a problem if I log in as an actual user and listen to the calls from there. I did go into the Parliant and Perceptive Automation directories under "Library>Application Support" and open up the rights to all users in case there was a rights issue, but that does not seem to have made any difference here.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, and take care!

Jeff

Hi Jeff - the next time you notice it not working, open a terminal window and type the following command:

ps -axwww | grep Indigo

One of the items you should see is the "PhoneValet Background Script.scpt". Let me know if its not there. I've been having this periodic problem on my Leopard machine where the stay-open AppleScripts just die for some reason. Unfortunately, they're dying silently except for a very generic error in the Console log.

Anyway, let me know if that's the problem. If not, we'll keep looking.

Jay (Indigo Support)