Update Jandy User Contribution AppleScripts Worthwhile?

Posted on
Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:28 am
yergeyj offline

Update Jandy User Contribution AppleScripts Worthwhile?

Matt or Jay,

I have been using updated versions of the Jandy AppleScripts for the last two seasons, but had not updated them on this site, in large part because it did not appear until the last few months like there was really anyone else in the community using these scripts. I have a few questions in this regard:

Are you still accepting updates to existing AppleScripts, given the push to move to establishing Plugins? If so, how would you recommend I update the posting? I currently use a background script to do most of the work with the Jandy system. It properly tests/creates variables and updates the status every 30 sec using a call to the Jandy system that, while requiring some bit/byte calculations, updates everything but the temperatures with a single call to the Serial port. I have then used a modified, simpler version of the script posted previously to allow operations for the system from Indigo.

I have been working on getting Python code to replace the AppleScripts with a Plugin, and have worked out the simplest parts (the math to decode information returned from the Serial adaptor). I've read a lot of the tutorials on the wiki, and looked into the EasyDAQ Relay Card Plugin, but am having trouble determining exactly what Python code I need to have a simple send/receive from the serial port. Should I just start a new post to get the answer to this question, or would specifics like this be better handled offline?

Thanks,
Jim

Posted on
Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:17 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Update Jandy User Contribution AppleScripts Worthwhile?

yergeyj wrote:
Are you still accepting updates to existing AppleScripts, given the push to move to establishing Plugins? If so, how would you recommend I update the posting?

I'd say it's worth updating - not everyone will update to Indigo 5, and until you get a plugin done it's still the best way. How are you doing the serial communication? In any event, if you want to just zip up the latest scripts and send them to us in an email I'll get them updated in the file library. Also, if you have any changes to the Overview/Installation/Usage text send that along as well and I'll get that updated also. Sent it to indigo DASH support AT perceptiveautomation DOT com.

yergeyj wrote:
I have been working on getting Python code to replace the AppleScripts with a Plugin, and have worked out the simplest parts (the math to decode information returned from the Serial adaptor). I've read a lot of the tutorials on the wiki, and looked into the EasyDAQ Relay Card Plugin, but am having trouble determining exactly what Python code I need to have a simple send/receive from the serial port. Should I just start a new post to get the answer to this question, or would specifics like this be better handled offline?

The forum is really the best way - that way everyone can learn from the discussion. If you're actively working on a plugin I'd suggest starting a thread in the Plugins in Development subforum under the Extending Indigo with Plugins and Python forum - that's the place where people who are actively working on plugins discuss the plugin development and can solicit help with development/testing/documentation. We're hoping that the community at large will work together to help build a thriving 3rd party plugin ecosystem.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:18 pm
737SimGuy offline

Yes! Please update!!! :-)

Thank you!

Posted on
Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:25 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

The scripts have been updated in the file library. Thanks Jim!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1