Using Fing as a new way to detect smartphone presence

Posted on
Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:55 am
kw123 offline

Re: Using Fing as a new way to detect smartphone presence

new version (1.4.1) of FINGSCAN posted in the download section

http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/filelib/index.php?keywords=fing

bugs fixed:
- When an IP number changes for an existing device, FING sometimes keeps the old one in the data file. FINGSCAN used the wrong one if the new IP number was greater than the old one.That becomes a real problem if you for example replace the router and every things gets a new IPnumber. Half of them would be handled incorrectly. (they always stay in "down" status)

New:
-Variable that indicates that a new IP number was assigned to an existing device it contains the variable Name of the device (e.g. ipDevice15). This can be used to set a trigger that creates email etc. see example in readme
-If a variable has a new IP number "newIPNumber" gets attached to to variable contents.
- FINGSCANINSTALL asks for you password and passes it to FINGSCAN. No need anymore to enter password after reboot etc.
- FINGSCANINSTALL is now an applescript and not and APP: in Mavericks the security schema has become more restrictive. If an application downloaded from the internet is from an unidentified developer (as I am) you have to open up preferences go into security and allow fingscaninstall to run. By using an applescript in uncompiled form that problem does not arise. FINGSCANINSTALL will set a flag to allow FINGSCAN to run without this problem
-Install: download the zip file, open up container (click) and click on FINGSCANINSTALL. Appple script opens up and you press the "run" button.
- added Variable iDevsDebug. Default is 1, if set higher more gets written into the log. This only gets read when ring starts, changing while it is running does not change log file output.
- some more examples on how to use in the readme.txt file in the zip download file.

Karl

Posted on
Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:21 am
midd offline

Can I just install the newer version over a previously installed one?

Indigo 7, Monterey (12.1) on a 2009 Mac Pro..

Posted on
Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:21 am
kw123 offline

short answer: yes... your network info is kept.

- download the new zip file
- click on fingscaninstall folder in download
- click on fingscaninstall.scpt in the folder
- applescript opens up
- click run button on the top
- question: overwrite yes /no --> yes
- enter password

done

Karl

this new version installs everything in /Users/your-userid/Documents/fing. So the first time you run the installer, there is no program in that folder: you might not be asked to overwrite.
The old program will be deleted in the indigo /script/attachments directory.

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:11 pm
ethank offline

I installed but it never stops asking for device names, often for the same device.

Also does it key based on MAC address or IP? The IP for a phone may change but the MAC won't.

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:04 pm
kw123 offline

it should wait for 60 seconds for a single device. If you have many it will wait / ask for each device
It uses the MAC# as key. The IP number is just "text".

Could you set the debug level to 10 and get me
1. the log file lines that start with fingscan
2. file Documents/fing/finglog
3. file Documents/fing/fingdata
via the message feature on this web site if you doth want to share the IP numbers etc in this post.
Or if you don't mind just upload the files as a response.

thanks

Karl

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:06 pm
ethank offline

kw123 wrote:
it should wait for 60 seconds for a single device. If you have many it will wait / ask for each device
It uses the MAC# as key. The IP number is just "text".

Could you set the debug level to 10 and get me
1. the log file lines that start with fingscan
2. file Documents/fing/finglog
3. file Documents/fing/fingdata
via the message feature on this web site if you doth want to share the IP numbers etc in this post.
Or if you don't mind just upload the files as a response.

thanks

Karl

My network has 32 hosts. Is there any way to bypass asking for a name? I can tell devices based on just IP or the returned string from the MAC lookup.

The dialog box also takes focus off anything which is frustrating.

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24 pm
kw123 offline

version 1.8... ;)

you could just hit enter

give me a day.

Karl

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:56 pm
kw123 offline

ethank:

try this down load
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21tthuar6kp4h49/fingscaninstall-1-5.zip

added a variable ipDevsDoNotAsk ... if it is anything but "ask" it will not stop and ask for the nickname.

It will create the variable when it runs first, default is "ask" you can change while it is running. but the first time it will ask.

Karl

Posted on
Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:43 pm
ethank offline

kw123 wrote:
ethank:

try this down load
https://www.dropbox.com/s/21tthuar6kp4h49/fingscaninstall-1-5.zip

added a variable ipDevsDoNotAsk ... if it is anything but "ask" it will not stop and ask for the nickname.

It will create the variable when it runs first, default is "ask" you can change while it is running. but the first time it will ask.

Karl

That worked.

Posted on
Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:19 am
philc offline

Karl,
Thanks for doing this - brings some really awesome functionality, things like, don't turn off the lights in the family room if the TV is on, that sort of thing.
I installed and have it running, but I'm having some issues.
1) I ran the Fingscan install script - will the Fingscan script automatically reload at reboot?
2) I'm getting multiple entries for the same MAC id (different time stamps)
3) When running initially, it brings up the dialog for the first device it finds. I enter the nickname, the device populates into the Indigo variables. The next one, however, does not, nor do any of the ones after, until it runs up the entire IP catalog and starts over at the beginning or alternatively, if I hit cancel on the dialog (which I guess forces it to run the tree from the lowest numbers). I've set the donotask variable to no, and now it just auto populates.
4) My router IP (an Apple Time Capsule) is 192.168.1.1 and it populates in the variables. However, it then alternates between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.1. Every couple of minutes, it registers a new IP address. Meanwhile, there is a separate device listed as 192.168.1.12 with a different MAC id - that I know is not the Time Capsule.

If you need logs, just tell me where to go get them.
Thanks,
Phil

Posted on
Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:51 am
kw123 offline

answers:
1. yes, it adds a schedule that relaunches fingscan once a day: "fingscanrelaunch" The time of day to launch is the time you installed fingscan.
2. don't understand why: could you get me FINGDATA and FINGLOG
3. the dialog popup should wait or timeout. It should then go to the next one until its done with all. let me look at the logic
4. also get me fingdata and finglog -- did you mean 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.1?
the files are in your home directory under Documents/fing/...

you could post it here or send me email using the websites email facility http://www.perceptiveautomation.com/userforum/ucp.php if you don't want to share all your data, or send it to karlwachs@me.com

Karl

Posted on
Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:33 pm
philc offline

Karl,
I'm sorry, it should have said alternates between 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.12.
I'm emailing the logs to you now.
Thanks,
Phil

Posted on
Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:55 am
kw123 offline

Re:FINGSCAN V 1.6.2

Please find V 1.6.2 at
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rc5756otkwhf344/fingscaninstall-1-6-2.zip
how to install: click on link , click on the download button, after download double click on fingscaninstall, click on run button, answer yes ... rest see read me.txt in zip file

I will post it on the indigo site in some days after some more testing

bugs removed, fixed
- dialog box working properly
- if a variable ipDevicexx in the middle of the listing was deleted, program did not handle it properly
new features
- batch mode ( set variable ipDevsDoNotAsk to not eq "ask" )
- formatting: add some spaces to make it a bit better readable (set ipDevsformat to 0..3 to set the number of blanks you like)
- added 2 states:
-- changed = new IP number that was previously use by other device
-- expired = device not on network for ~8 hours ( fing drops info for a device after some time not on the network = no information retained after ~ 8 hours)

Karl

fingscan reads FING data (overlooksoft.com) and puts info of IP devices in indigo, like up/down/changed/expired .. can be used to trigger iPhone away, send emails if new device is attached to network and alike.

Posted on
Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:52 am
evansgo offline

Hello,
I'm having some problems with this, can you offer any advice please?
Fing appears to be running fine, I can can see the various devices coming up and down in the finglog.
The fingscaninstall script appears to load fine, but then I get the error message "Can't get text 2 thru -1 of " ". The list of variables does appear to get made although I do not get asked for any names, but it only appears to run the once, no changes are highlighted.

Running mavericks on the newest version of Indigo on a Mac mini and there are about 22 devices identified.

Posted on
Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:10 am
Seeker offline

any ideas on this?

ec 8, 2013, 9:59:24 AM
Script FINGSCAN-1-6-2: initialize
Trigger fing new ip number
Error failed to execute script because script could not be compiled

Dec 8, 2013, 10:02:49 AM
Error script error: around characters 182 to 183
Error script error: Expected expression but found unknown token. (-2741)

Page 5 of 32 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 32