Able to connect but not control

Posted on
Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:44 pm
Geoffb offline

Able to connect but not control

I went to operate a light remotely using Prism. When I log on, I am able to bring up the device page but apparently I am UNable to affect any changes. I was not able to turn on any of the lights remotely. I thought if I couldn't log on and see the device page, then something might be wrong with the reflector but being able to log on and NOT change the status of the lights seems to suggest something else is wrong.. I know the lights are not being controlled because I am able to remotely view the lights via a separate camera system and the lights are not changing nor is their status on the device page... anybody have any suggestions? ( I had set up a camera to monitor my sump pump for the wicked rain storms we are having today in New England but I am not able to turn the light on to see anything) Thanks for your time...

Geoff

Posted on
Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:37 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Able to connect but not control

Hi Geoff,

To troubleshoot it we'll need to see the Event Log contents from Indigo. Do you have access to that Mac so you can copy/paste out of the window? Note we have on our Feature Request ToDo list adding log viewing to Indigo Touch itself, but that isn't in there yet.

Posted on
Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:52 pm
Geoffb offline

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick response... I am home now, ( fortunately we were not washed away--yet) so I do have access to the event log.. I am happy to paste or send it to you but wasn't sure how much you wanted.. in addition, reviewing it myself for today there are no anomalies that I can see in the event log.. but let me know what you want and I will get it to you immediately.. Thanks One other bit of information.. now that I am home and can operate Indigo via iPad or iPhone using my wi-fi system, that is not working either.. I still can operate Indigo via the computer directly and timed or trigger events are proceeding normally but I have lost the ability to make them work remotely via iPhone or iPad despite the fact that the Device page shows up...

Geoff

Posted on
Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:59 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

When you try to control it from Indigo Touch, what shows in the Event Log (copy/paste it into a reply)?

And do you have more than one Mac?

Posted on
Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:07 pm
Geoffb offline

Nothing is happening when I try to operate it remotely from the iPad or iPhone.. two other bits of information: I closed Indigo but kept the computer on. When I restarted it, I didn't see the usual things I have become accustomed to seeing when Indigo first starts up, like opening the reflector site etc.. I did it twice with the same result. So I restarted the mac and this time I did see the usual start up things but still nothing shows up when I try to operate it remotely with the iPad or iPhone but they continue to display the Device page correctly. I will paste the activities from the log below. Apparently when I restarted it, it erased the Log from before so I only have it from the restart but again, nothing shows up when I try to operate it remotely since the restart.

Geoff

Feb 25, 2011 5:56:53 PM
Starting Indigo Server version 4.1.16
Loading attachments
"device target attachment.scpt" script loaded
"group target attachment.scpt" script loaded
"growl attachment.scpt" script loaded
"iTunes attachment.scpt" script loaded
"scenes attachment.scpt" script loaded
"time stamp attachment.scpt" script loaded
Bonjour registered "Indigo - My House 1"
Indigo Cocoa client authenticated

Feb 25, 2011 5:57:05 PM
Connected to SmartHome PowerLinc USB E
PowerLinc address 11.F3.28, firmware version 2.13
PowerLinc standalone operation disabled
Indigo directly controlling automation logic
Reflector starting reflector connection to https://sabre.goprism.com
SQLite client authenticated
SQLite client connected to Indigo Server
SQLite client connected to sqlite_db
SQLite logging all device state changes
SQLite logging all variable value changes
WebServer client authenticated
WebServer started on port 8176 -- digest authentication enabled

Feb 25, 2011 5:57:58 PM
Received INSTEON "Motion detector 2" on (button 1)

Feb 25, 2011 5:58:27 PM
Received INSTEON "Motion detector 2" off (button 1)

Feb 25, 2011 5:58:59 PM
Sent INSTEON "Hall Lights Near Bedroom" status request (received: 0)
Sent INSTEON "Hall Lights Near Bedroom" on to 100
Sent INSTEON "Hall Lights Near Bedroom" off

Feb 25, 2011 5:59:25 PM
Sent INSTEON "Front Hall Lights near office" on to 100
Sent INSTEON "Front Hall Lights near office" off

Posted on
Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:08 pm
Geoffb offline

I do have more than one Mac but only one connected to Indigo ..although Indigo is on the old computer as well...

Geoff

Posted on
Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:25 pm
Geoffb offline

Also, I just shut down the other Mac. The other Mac does have Indigo on it, and was on but not connected other than to the wall outlet and connects wirelessly to my home router. But even after shutting it down, I am having the same problem. I watched the Event log while I tried accessing a device remotely and still nothing shows up on the Event log to indicate anything was even tried. Hope this helps.

Geoff

Posted on
Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:42 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Geoffb wrote:
I closed Indigo but kept the computer on. When I restarted it, I didn't see the usual things I have become accustomed to seeing when Indigo first starts up, like opening the reflector site etc.. I did it twice with the same result.

I don't think that is related. It sounds like you just quit the Indigo client application (GUI) and didn't choose the Indigo 4->Stop Local Server menu item. You have to do the latter to shutdown the server.

Inside Indigo Touch, when you press the Settings gear icon describe in detail what you have listed for the connections (what their names are). Include everything you see up to the "Manually Add Server" line, and tell me which one has the check mark by it (if any).

Posted on
Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:43 am
Geoffb offline

Hi Matt,

There is progress to a degree to report. When I read your post I opened Indigo Touch on both my iPad and on my iPhone and confirmed I still was not able to operate anything remotely. I then clicked on the gear icon, the display showed the following " Choose an Indigo Sever ( next line ) My House 1 (2), (next line) My House 1, (next line) Demo Server, (next line) Manually add server

I clicked on My House 1 and immediately I WAS able to now operate devices remotely and the changes in status showed up on the Indigo Touch display. This was on my iPad, I then picked up my iPhone which had the same display but again I was NOT able to remotely operate anything until I clicked on My House 1 again, and the same thing that happened when I did the iPad, happened on my iPhone and I was able to operate devices remotely.....BUT ( there is Always a but isn't there?) I still can't operate remotely using the iPhone outside of accessing it via WiFi.. i.e. I can't operate it just using the 3G ATT service I have. I didn't take the iPad with me to check it but I suspect it would have the same result. As soon as I approached my home again and was back in WiFi range, I could operate things again remotely via the iPhone. Previously when I was outside of WiFi range, and I looked on the Gear page, everything appeared as it does now, EXCEPT, that at the bottom of the page, where it NOW says, Connected Server Info--- it said NOT CONNECTED to SERVER or words to that effect...even though it DID SAY at the TOP of the page, Connected via 3G/Edge

Feb 27, 2011 8:38:49 AM
WebServer Indigo Touch client connected from 10.0.1.7
Sent INSTEON "Front Hall Lights near office" on to 46
Sent INSTEON "Front Hall Lights near office" on to 0
Sent INSTEON "Front Hall Lights near office" on to 19

Feb 27, 2011 10:11:44 AM
Sent INSTEON "Front Hall light" on to 100
Sent INSTEON "Front Hall light" off

Feb 27, 2011 10:21:20 AM

Above I am pasting the Event Log which included when I was first able to operate remotely again after touching "My House" on the gear page, and again when I got home from running an errand at 10:11 AM. As you can see my attempts to operate devices remotely but was not able to, were NOT recorded in the event log at 10:00AM when I did try from outside the WiFi area.... Thanks again for your continued help Matt..hope we are closing in on the solution...you never realize how dependent you become on something until you don't have it...

Geoff
Attachments
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg (406.34 KiB) Viewed 12653 times
IMG_0021.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg (340.87 KiB) Viewed 12653 times

Posted on
Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:31 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Geoff,

The 2 connection entries show us that you have the Indigo Server running on your other Mac as well, and you were connecting to that other Mac which is why nothing was showing up in the Event Log. To stop Indigo Server on the other Mac and make sure it doesn't accidentally get started again:

1) Launch the Indigo client (GUI).
2) Choose the Indigo 4->Stop Local Server menu item.
3) Quit the client.
4) Delete this application:
Code: Select all
/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/IndigoServer.app

After you do that, let's clean up Indigo Touch. While on Wi-Fi do the following:

1) Launch Indigo Touch.
2) Press the Settings (gear) icon and delete both of your connections.
3) Switch out of Indigo Touch, open the task bar and force Indigo Touch to quit.
4) Restart your Mac running Indigo Server. Let it reboot and get Indigo restarted
5) Launch Indigo Touch and go to Settings.
6) If you just see "Indigo - My House 1" then click on it.

Now I think it will work and hopefully it will work via 3G as well.

Posted on
Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:09 pm
Geoffb offline

Thanks Matt... I think that did it!!! I followed your instructions to the T and all appears to be working as it should be and was before.. when I got the new iMac, I basically cloned the hard drive by using the Firewire cable to transfer data from one computer to the other. I didn't realize there were would be an issue... I know this is probably a stupid question, but is there an application or some way that could be used on a remote computer to operate Indigo in much the same manner as an iPad or iPhone? I was looking for something my girlfriend, who is not really computer savvy could use to change something other than the application Indigo itself which she finds too complicated to operate... I recall a Widget for the Dashboard at one time but not sure if that is still around or not and if is still around,if it is easily configurable as everything else is ... thanks again for your help and solving this for me...very grateful!!!

Geoff

Posted on
Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:41 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Use the (IWS) web pages - they are very similar to Touch (including custom control pages) and work great in all Mac browsers.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:46 am
Geoffb offline

Hi Matt,
Sorry to sound so ignorant but I am not familiar with IWS pages you referenced... where and what are the IWS pages and how I can I learn about them?

Geoff

Posted on
Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:13 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

IWS just means Indigo's built-in Web Server. On your LAN you can access it from the Go menu inside Indigo. Outside your LAN you can access it via your reflector URL.

Page 1 of 1