Indigo Remote Log File Viewer

Posted on
Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:09 pm
bschollnick2 offline

Indigo Remote Log File Viewer

Folks,

Here’s a new little treat…

I have been thinking about writing a web page for remotely accessing the Indigo Log for a while, and even had some prototype code lying around. After shipping the prototype code to Matt, he suggested a few changes, and added some tweaks…

So, I am bundling the code up and making it available…. So that I can get feedback, and suggestions from users on how to improve this tool.

Similar functionality maybe added into Indigo in the future, but that doesn’t prevent you from using it now.

See http://www.schollnick.net/wordpress/home-automation/indigo-remote-log-viewer/ for more details, and install / uninstall instructions..

Feedback is welcome, and appreciated...

- Benjamin
Last edited by bschollnick2 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:17 pm
bschollnick2 offline

Released Indigo Remote Web Log Viewer v1.2

http://www.schollnick.net/wordpress/2009/01/indigo-remote-web-log-viewer-v12-released/

There's a slightly newer version of the Remote Web Log Viewer (v1.2) 1/17/2009 Now available. The changes consist of:

<li>Added Better Interface for selecting specific days for display (Select Field)</li>
<li>Added Select field for the number of days to view</li>
<li>Added Color Coding for Error messages</li>
<li>Now displayed in “reverse” order (earliest day / entry is at the top of the log)</li>

Any feedback or suggestions are welcome.
Last edited by bschollnick2 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Posted on
Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:43 pm
berkinet offline

documentation errors?

First, thanks for making this project available. It will be quite useful for me once I figure out why it crashes my Indigo web server.

While going through the installation, I noted what look to me like some inconsistencies in the instructions.

2) Rename the Folder to Eventlog and place it in the following location.
... ...
To Uninstall, just remove the EventLog_1_0 folder from the Plugins folder, and restart the Indigo Server.

Since it is now renamed, the instructions should say "remove the Eventlog folder..."
How to Use It
How to use EventLog? Open your Web Browser, and open the Indigo Web server. From the root of the web server add /plugins/eventlog?numofdays=X where X represents the number of days of log to view.

For Example:

http://entertainmac.:8080/eventlog/index?numofdays=2

I think the http path in "How to Use It" should not include /plugins
Also, in the examples, eventlog is all lower case, but the plugin is named Eventlog.

Richard

Posted on
Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:48 pm
nicb offline

(No subject)

I'm liking your work - I have been looking for this functionality from Indigo for a while.

However its not working for me - The page is rendered with just two lines with drops downs for number of days & particular day. Submitting either of these returns nothing.

I downloaded the v1.3 from the linked site and the only thing I'm thinking is that this is an Indigo 4 specific script - The install instructions reference Indigo 4 in the install path. I'm still running Indigo 3.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Nic

Posted on
Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:40 pm
bschollnick2 offline

(No subject)

nicb wrote:
However its not working for me - The page is rendered with just two lines with drops downs for number of days & particular day. Submitting either of these returns nothing.

I downloaded the v1.3 from the linked site and the only thing I'm thinking is that this is an Indigo 4 specific script - The install instructions reference Indigo 4 in the install path. I'm still running Indigo 3.

Nic,

Drop me a line at bschollnick at GMAIL dot COM. You are correct, it was written with the assumption of Indigo 4... But it's a minor change to get it to work under Indigo 2... I have made a chance that should allow it to work under 2....

So if you email me, I'll send you a modified file that should work. Once we have it tested, I'll update the copy on my server....

- Ben

Posted on
Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:10 pm
bschollnick2 offline

New version 1.31

Folks,

The new version of the Indigo Remote Log Viewer is released. Version 1.31 is now available…

Please see the Remote Log Viewer page for more details…

Bug Fixes
* The RLV will now detect Indigo 2 & 3, and work seamlessly with Indigo v2, 3, and 4.

This fixes a small bug that was in the v1.30 detection routines for Indigo 2/3...

http://www.schollnick.net/wordpress/hom ... og-viewer/

Posted on
Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:29 pm
macpro offline

(No subject)

It just works. Thanks.
Added it to my website of the house so I can view it from everywhere.
Last edited by macpro on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:35 pm
Skiddy offline

(No subject)

VERY, VERY nice... Thanks for the contribution. I too was looking for something like this to add to my Indigo web pages.

One request... Is there a way to modify the font type and size so that I can keep this consistent with my other web based content?

Posted on
Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:23 am
bschollnick2 offline

(No subject)

Skiddy wrote:
VERY, VERY nice... Thanks for the contribution. I too was looking for something like this to add to my Indigo web pages.

One request... Is there a way to modify the font type and size so that I can keep this consistent with my other web based content?

I'll take a look at breaking the inline CSS to an external file... That would be the best way to allow you to modify it.

Posted on
Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:33 pm
bschollnick2 offline

New Version of Remote Log Viewer v1.35

Folks,

Pop on over and grab the updated version of the Remote Log Viewer @ http://www.schollnick.net/wordpress/home-automation/indigo-remote-log-viewer. New to this version of the application plugin are these features... And even better, we have not increased the cost of the product...

1.35 4/2/2009

* Revised the Header
* Added the ability to only show specific event types (eg. iTunes, Error, etc)
* Fixed bug with loading a specific days log from the pulldown

Posted on
Fri May 15, 2009 7:20 am
bschollnick2 offline

(No subject)

Skiddy wrote:

Since I've been on a CSS kick lately, here's your chance to help out here...

The following URL is the first trial for Eventlog v1.50 A, which has just been revised to add External CSS support.

http://www.schollnick.net/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=15

Changes:

1) The Custom Color Python file has been removed, and instead the script now uses an external CSS file. I have updated the CSS file to the default settings that the original version used... But I would like suggestions for default colors & CSS settings... It would be nice to have a standard colors for the log entries...

2) Please give me feedback. I don't know about other plugin authors, or Applescript "plugin" writers for Indigo, but I've seen very little overall feedback...

(Well, they do say no complaints are good complaints, but....)
Last edited by bschollnick2 on Fri May 15, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri May 15, 2009 8:28 am
jamus offline

(No subject)

bschollnick2 wrote:

2) Please give me feedback. I don't know about other plugin authors, or Applescript "plugin" writers for Indigo, but I've seen very little overall feedback...

I have noticed that filters don't always work...here's a log (some headers removed for security):
Code: Select all
May 15, 2009 9:26:04 AM
  WebServer          internal server error "http://xxx/home/control/Eventlog/" from aa.bb.cc.dd
  WebServer         

ACCEPT-LANGUAGE: en-us
  Content-Length: 50
  USER-AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_6; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/528.16
  CONNECTION: Keep-Alive
  Remote-Addr: 127.0.0.1
  PRAGMA: no-cache
  HOST: localhost:8176
  ACCEPT: application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
  Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
  ACCEPT-ENCODING: gzip, deflate

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/IndigoWebServer/cherrypy/_cprequest.py", line 606, in respond
    cherrypy.response.body = self.handler()
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/IndigoWebServer/cherrypy/_cpdispatch.py", line 25, in __call__
    return self.callable(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4/IndigoWebServer/plugins/Eventlog/reqhandler.py", line 252, in index
    return ''.join(html_elems)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 158: ordinal not in range(128)

WebServer          undefined page requested "http://xxx/home/control/Eventlog/css/indigo4.css" from aa.bb.cc.dd
  WebServer          undefined page requested "http://xxx/home/control/Eventlog/css/global4.css" from aa.bb.cc.dd
Last edited by jamus on Fri May 15, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri May 15, 2009 9:14 am
bschollnick2 offline

(No subject)

jamus wrote:
bschollnick2 wrote:

I have noticed that filters don't always work...here's a log (some headers removed for security):
Code: Select all

For anything that produces a python error, I'll need to see the log file in question to find out what caused it to fail... Can you send me a copy of the log? Send it to benjamin AT schollnick DOT net....

Thanks...
Last edited by bschollnick2 on Fri May 15, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Fri May 15, 2009 10:25 am
jamus offline

(No subject)

bschollnick2 wrote:
For anything that produces a python error, I'll need to see the log file in question to find out what caused it to fail... Can you send me a copy of the log? Send it to benjamin AT schollnick DOT net....

You're referring to the logs from the "Show Event Logs Folder", right?

You'll want to take a look at the whole log, right?

Posted on
Fri May 15, 2009 11:21 am
bschollnick2 offline

(No subject)

jamus wrote:
bschollnick2 wrote:

You're referring to the logs from the "Show Event Logs Folder", right?
You'll want to take a look at the whole log, right?

Yes, the Show Events Log Folder, and I don't need every file... Just the last couple of days... This way, I can test, and try to ensure that this doesn't happen again...