Matt:Just getting started and need a bit more help.

Posted on
Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:40 am
DaveMallow offline

Matt:Just getting started and need a bit more help.

Matt,
This past week you had kindly answered some very basic questions for me about using the PowerLinc USB with Indigo. I went ahead and got the 1132U rather than wait for a possible Indigo upgrade that would store the schedule in a newer Powerlinc that allowed this.

As you know, I'm your entry-level kind of customer who only needs basic functioning. I am just now getting underway and have found that at least two of my X-10 devices don't get ANY signal when activated from both Time/Date and Devices Indigo screens (have to wait for dark to assess the outdoor lights).

One X-10 in question is a wired wall socket that triggers a desktop fountain, the other is a regular lamp module. Both still work fine from the X-10 controller pad - -and both devices indicate they're getting power in the Indigo status bar. I might mention that the lamp module is in a power strip, as wall options are taken up with home theater components.

I tracked down your X-10 troublshooting info, but remain confused. If the signals are already received properly from my X-10 controller, shouldn't this mean that the further hassle and expense of filters, etc. is not necessary?

I have set all my devices to 'Lamp Module,' as there is no 'wall socket' type option. Most X-10s seem to function just fine.

I must confess that the whole 'Trigger Action' aspect of Indigo confuses me. For basic device On/OFF/DIM, etc. functions it seems that the Time/Date Actions serves my purposes.

I want to finally disable my old PowerMac, Mousehouse software and X-10 interface with serial connect. . . and have Indigo and the iMacG4 do it all. . . . but sadly for the present, it seems I've got some issues to solve.

Thanks in advance for your help.
dm

Posted on
Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:50 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Matt:Just getting started and need a bit more help.

Morning Dave,

DaveMallow wrote:
I tracked down your X-10 troublshooting info, but remain confused. If the signals are already received properly from my X-10 controller, shouldn't this mean that the further hassle and expense of filters, etc. is not necessary?

When you use the other controller, is it plugged into the exact same outlet as the PowerLinc USB? This would be a good test since the X10 signal paths would then be identical. I also recommend for testing purposes that you only have 1 X10 transmitter plugged in at a time -- either the PowerLinc USB or your other controller. X10 transmitters all attenuate the signals from one another, so when troubleshooting it is a good idea to try one transmitter at a time.

DaveMallow wrote:
I must confess that the whole 'Trigger Action' aspect of Indigo confuses me. For basic device On/OFF/DIM, etc. functions it seems that the Time/Date Actions serves my purposes.

The easiest way to compare Trigger Actions and Time/Date Actions is based on what you want to cause an action. Do you want it to be a scheduled (Time/Date) action, like: sunset, sunrise, specific time, every N minutes, etc. Or do you want the action to occur whenever some other event happens: an email is received, a remote button on an X10 control is pressed, a motion detector fires, etc. Basically, Trigger Actions are used for everything that is not related to time or date. Other than that, a Trigger Action and a Time/Date Action are identical. They both can have a conditional, and they both can have the same type of actions executed (send an X10 command, execute an AppleScript, send an email, etc.).

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:46 pm
DaveMallow offline

(No subject)

Matt,
Thanks for the quick reply. . and for amplifying the purpose of the Trigger functions. No, I don't really need this feature.

Yes, I've unplugged my old X-10 interface. .

Upon plugging my X-10 controller into the same outlet as my new PowerLinc, I found that the same two modules in question do NOT function now. Disappointing and frustrating.

Upon moving the PowerLinc to my sole alternate outlet option on the other side of the computer desk ( It'd have to be on the same circuit as the other ), I now find that ONE of the two inoperable X-10's functions PART of the time when manually activated from the DEVICES screen. Sometimes one click will do it, others when it receives a 'double click' dual signal. .and then sometimes not at all. The second X-10 still gets nothing. .single, double, triple clicks. . .nothing.

I'm no stranger to being a rule's exception when it comes to the technological aspects of life. . but this one stings a bit. I love this X-10 automation concept and clearly Indigo is not to blame - in fact it seems a minor miracle. But given my current wiring eccentricities, am I just going to have to live with only partial X-10 automation when Indigo/Powerlinc is utilized?

Your patience and help is appreciated.

dm

Posted on
Sat Feb 14, 2004 1:45 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

DaveMallow wrote:
But given my current wiring eccentricities, am I just going to have to live with only partial X-10 automation when Indigo/Powerlinc is utilized?

Do you currently have any signal filters (like the FilterLinc)? If you only have a couple of outlets as options for the PowerLinc and neither one of those are working reliably, then it sounds like you need a signal filter and/or signal bridge (or repeater).

Have you tried unplugging other appliances and computer equipment around the house to see if that helps? I had a nice surge protector strip on my A/V equipment that ate all of the X10 signals in a majority of my house. Once I added the FilterLinc there, my signal reliability and coverage got much better. One note on troubleshooting this -- the offending equipment might very well be on the opposite side of the house, no where near the location of the PowerLinc USB outlet or the module you are trying to control.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:02 pm
DaveMallow offline

(No subject)

Matt,

Do you currently have any signal filters (like the FilterLinc)?
---
sigh. No, I don't. Throwing more money into this ( they ain't cheap ) as a 'possible' solution is a bit daunting. I take it you mean a filter to plug between X-10 and wall plug. . .and X-10 and power strip, my two ongoing glitches. All this is new to me.

Have you tried unplugging other appliances and computer equipment around the house to see if that helps?
---
No other computers are connected. Kitchen appliances, yes, but unplugging those . .even to test the theory. .is a major hassle. Hmmmm. . .

One note on troubleshooting this -- the offending equipment might very well be on the opposite side of the house, no where near the location of the PowerLinc USB outlet or the module you are trying to control.
- - -
This is getting complicated, eh?

I may have to resign myself to manual operation of the two ( known so far) offending X-10s. There are worse problems in life than this somewhat regrettable problem. I was hoping to plug in and have the same convenience as the old X-10 stuff with serial connects. It worked great, but serial connect had become a hurdle since buying the iMac with USBs.

If only I were more sophisticated and knowledgable in these matters.

Thanks yet again. . .
dm

Posted on
Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:09 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

DaveMallow wrote:
I take it you mean a filter to plug between X-10 and wall plug. . .and X-10 and power strip, my two ongoing glitches. All this is new to me.

The filters go in the outlet to isolate noisy or X10 signal sucking devices. You do not plug X10 modules into them (they won't work if you do). Instead, you plug in noisy devices like power strips, UPSs, computers, etc. This isolates the X10 unfriendly devices and keeps them from causing signal problems.

Have you tried unplugging other devices around the house? You mentioned you didn't have any other computers. What about TVs, stereos, computer peripherals, etc.? It is hard to predict what might be a noisy device. I'd recommend unplugging everything that can easily be unplugged and then see if you can control your X10 modules. Next, one by one, plug stuff back in until it stops working. Then you will know what the offending device is.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:17 pm
DaveMallow offline

You've been a big help.

Matt,

Your advice has been great. I'll see what I can do about isolating problems. As soon as I sent the last reply, I realized WHERE the filter should go.

thanks,
dm

Posted on
Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:59 pm
DaveMallow offline

A guarded HURRAY!

MATT,

`Tis a fine, fine thing you've done for me today.

I tried isolating the problem, as you suggested. It's early in the game, but it APPEARS that a ReplayTV unit plugged into a power strip was the culprit for both of my X-10 woes. Plugging said Replay into a different power strip APPEARS to have solved the problem. . .without the need for a filter.

If I'm in the clear, I truely could not have solved this without your patience and assistance.

Guardedly optimistic,
dm

Page 1 of 1