Insteon IRLinc Receiver 2411R...ABOUT TIME!

Posted on
Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:16 pm
dacostad offline

(No subject)

Hi Matt,

I have just got my IRLinc and trying to set it up, but I think I am missing something in the instructions.

Can you give me (us) a simple example as to how to get it working.

Thanks

David

Posted on
Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:04 pm
dacostad offline

(No subject)

Don't worry I think I figured it out.

David

Posted on
Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:51 pm
ac3boy offline

(No subject)

Just received mine as well. I am about to jump in to programming. Now I just gotta figure out what device to add to my Harmony setup.

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:18 am
Parp offline

(No subject)

Hi Guys,

I got my 2411R on Friday and it seems to be working okay. I have a few issues, but my biggest one right now is this: I have some Insteon dimmers, relays, and appliance lincs linked directly to the 2411R (not going through Indigo). When I turn these items on or off with my remote, Indigo doesn't see the change in status. Is this expected? Does this mean I HAVE to control my devices through Indigo if I want to see the correct status?

Your thoughts???

Also, if anyone discovers a VCR code that works reliably with a Dish Network remote, let me know! I have a TV code that works, but I really need a VCR code...

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:19 pm
bjojade offline

(No subject)

The same thing will happen when you link any devices. Indigo doesn't immediately see the status change of the light.

You have 2 options. If you have a lot of remote devices, you could set up Indigo to do a status request of all devices on a regular basis.

The 2nd option would be to have Indigo monitor for commands sent by the IRLink and then have it poll the devices that would be modified for their status. This will result in the least traffic and be the most up to date. However, it does require that you modify your Indigo programming any time you make a change on the IRLink.

Whenever possible, I prefer to use Indigo to control things just for the simplicity of one mastermind behind the entire system.

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:27 pm
Parp offline

(No subject)

Indigo recognizes a status change when a switch is changed by a slave, like in a virtual 3-way scenario. I don't understand why this is any different.

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:49 pm
yergeyj offline

(No subject)

I must be missing something, again? I don't see how I will program the IRLinc to work with the Harmony remote? The Harmony remote is referred to above as a good choice for interface with Indigo through the IRLinc, and the reason I bought the IRLinc.

Here are the quick start instructions for linking a remote through the IRLinc with devices:

Linking Buttons on your Remote to INSTEON-Compatible Devices
1) Press & hold the IRLinc Set button for about 5 seconds, then release
Blue LED will turn off after a brief flicker
2) Point your IR remote at the IR Receiver from a distance of more than 6 inches, and press the button you want to be learned
Blue LED will begin blinking (no rush – you have 4 minutes to complete the next step)
3) Go to the INSTEON-compatible product you would like to control and press & hold its Set button for 5 seconds*
Done… Blue LED will return to steady on (*see instructions for multi-button devices)

I understand steps 1 and 3, but to program the Harmony Remote before completing step 2 I need to press a button on the "original" remote?? Huh?

What am I missing?

Jim

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:14 pm
dacostad offline

(No subject)

Here is my proceedure.

1. Program the buttons you want on the harmony remote using NEC code (I used a toshiba TV remote) to control lights etc.

2. Press button on IRLinc for 5 secs until light goes off.

3. Press the button on the harmony remote that you want to link.

4. If you want a on or off command rather than toggle press the button on the IRLinc (once for on, twice for off)

5. Press the "Send PowerLinc set button pressed" button on the IRLinc device you set up in Indigo and the light on the IRLinc should go back to faint steady light.

Repeat for each button you have programed in the harmony remote.

6. Set up a trigger action for each button in Indigo using type= INSTEON Command Received. On or OFF, then select the button/group from the drop down (you can check the button number by pressing the button on the remote while pointing at the IRLinc and check the Indigo log.

Thats it. Hope this helps.

David

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:54 pm
yergeyj offline

(No subject)

Thanks.

I guess the key is to select a device for the Harmony that is actually recognized (and that you don't have programmed for something else). The 2411R IRLinc is not in that list as yet, so when I tried that I didn't have any commands to assign to buttons.

It seems that the Smarthome 4040 IR Control Console is recognized and has Light1 through Light16, as well as All On and Off commands, so I think that should do. I don't think it should matter that the 4040 is for X-10, as the commands only go to the IRLinc, which translates them based on whatever you link to for each command. And with the Harmony, I can program the button to say whatever I like, irrespective of what command it thinks it is sending.

I'll give it a try and report back.

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:42 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

Parp wrote:
...I have some Insteon dimmers, relays, and appliance lincs linked directly to the 2411R (not going through Indigo). When I turn these items on or off with my remote, Indigo doesn't see the change in status.

You need to Re-Sync (via the Devices dialog) the modules that are being controlled by the IRLinc. This will tell Indigo to read the links out of those modules, which will include the new links to the IRLinc. After you do that, when Indigo sees the INSTEON command from the IRLinc it will know that those other device states need to be updated.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:44 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

yergeyj wrote:
I guess the key is to select a device for the Harmony that is actually recognized (and that you don't have programmed for something else).

Correct. I'm using the Xantech Gatekeeper IR as the Harmony remote device type, but I'm sure quite a few others will work as well.

Matt

Posted on
Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:42 pm
ac3boy offline

Green IR received LED does not work on mine.

Anyone else see that with the ones you received. I did a factory reset and still no go. It works fine but the light just does not work. No big deal. I have it all programmed already but kinda annoying.

Cheers, AC3.

Posted on
Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:56 am
Parp offline

(No subject)

Thanks Matt. That was a brain fart!

support wrote:
Parp wrote:
...I have some Insteon dimmers, relays, and appliance lincs linked directly to the 2411R (not going through Indigo). When I turn these items on or off with my remote, Indigo doesn't see the change in status.

You need to Re-Sync (via the Devices dialog) the modules that are being controlled by the IRLinc. This will tell Indigo to read the links out of those modules, which will include the new links to the IRLinc. After you do that, when Indigo sees the INSTEON command from the IRLinc it will know that those other device states need to be updated.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:03 am
yergeyj offline

(No subject)

support wrote:
yergeyj wrote:
I guess the key is to select a device for the Harmony that is actually recognized (and that you don't have programmed for something else).

Correct. I'm using the Xantech Gatekeeper IR as the Harmony remote device type, but I'm sure quite a few others will work as well.

Matt

Thanks. It turns out the Smarthome 4040 IR Control Console I thought would work does not (although it's titled IR it actually uses RF for all remote/wireless communication). I could not find any other Smarthome/X-10 remotes recognized by Harmony that transmit IR and have any controls beyond 1 or 2 on/offs (not very useful).

I could not find a Xantech "Gatekeeper IR" remote that was supported or recognized by the Harmony, but eventually found the Xantech "RT-8" audio/video switch that seems to work fine. The only commands that the Harmony seems to translate into recognized NEC codes for the IRLinc are buttons 1-8, but that's sufficient for what I need now.

Unfortunately, when I press a button, Indigo recognizes it as "on" once and "off" the second time (e.g. button 1 on or button 1 off), so I need to specify links within Indigo for both on and off, as there is no way to send a specific button 1 on/off from the Harmony (that I can find), or know what state the Harmony button is in.

Has anyone found a different device the Harmony 880 remote recognizes that has clearer translation into Indigo through the IRLinc?

BTW, I did not link any devices directly using the IRLinc, as this would be a pain to maintain relative to Indigo control; I do have Indigo on 24/7, so I don't have to worry about loss of control when the computer is off.

Jim

Posted on
Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:33 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

yergeyj wrote:
Unfortunately, when I press a button, Indigo recognizes it as "on" once and "off" the second time (e.g. button 1 on or button 1 off), so I need to specify links within Indigo for both on and off, as there is no way to send a specific button 1 on/off from the Harmony (that I can find), or know what state the Harmony button is in.

Take a look at the IRLinc instructions. When you are defining the group within the IRLinc, I believe there are steps you can do to disable the ON/OFF toggle behavior and always have the IRLinc send an ON (or OFF) command.

Regards,
Matt