an idea for managing "stateful" controllers

Posted on
Mon May 19, 2008 3:09 pm
dduff617 offline

(No subject)

support wrote:

... I like the UI simplicity of DDuff617's solution ("simulate local control" checkbox in the Actions panel), but Mark is correct that this won't cover all the cases (ex: ApplianceLinc is only a responder and thus won't have a controlling link back to a KeypadLinc LED button).

(a late followup just in case anyone is still paying attention to this thread...)

this does not seem to be an exceptional case.

in my view, you would not be able to turn on the appliancelinc and use the "simulate local control" option because as you noted, the appliancelinc has no local control. it is only a responder and not a controller. i don't view this as a problem with the approach, however.

what you could do instead is to turn on the keypadlinc button from within indigo and use the "simulate local control" option for that. the result would be that the button LED would turn on and the appliancelinc would turn on. in all likelihood, this is just what the user wants in this case - that is, he is just telling indigo to make happen what would happen if he had simply pushed the button.